Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Worst player on the pitch yesterday, he was atrocious. Made Glen Johnson look like a competent defender.

I still quite like him, but he needs a kick up his arse. Routledge should start on the left next week.

Is Sol Campbell censored in Sweden?

Worst player on the pitch yesterday, he was atrocious. Made Glen Johnson look like a competent defender.

I still quite like him, but he needs a kick up his arse. Routledge should start on the left next week.

Is Sol Campbell censored in Sweden?

Good point, forgot how poor he was :lol: They can share the "honour".

Saying he is unable to retain the ball is harsh imo. Fair enough on his final ball, but he can certainly retain the ball.

What do you class as ball retention?

He picks the ball up outside his own box and carries it, relives pressure. Now of course lately he hasnt been doing this as well, but when he's full of confidence he does it as well as anyone in the team.

That's not really ball retention though, as while he might on occasion carry the ball forward 10-20 yards, he usually ends up walking into trouble. That's what bugs me about his game, he never tries to run past players. He stands, waits for the ball to played into feet, puts the ball on right foot, waits until the defender (or two) come in to close him down, and then tries to take the ball forward.

It is ball retention. Im not sure what else carrying the ball into the oppositions half is classed as then?

I could dribble 90 yards up the field, but if I pass the ball to opposition defence I haven't retained the ball. Iniesta and Xavi are ball retainers, as nearly everything they do goes to a team mate. I personally don't feel that Jonas has that quality, his decision making is a major flaw which effects everything he does, include retention of the ball. He picks the wrong pass, picks the wrong time to run and where to run.

Like I said, his passing stats are flattering because he'll pass 3-5 yards to Enrique 20 times a game, but those passes are usually concentrated around the halfway line. His forward passing his terrible. If you took passes to Jose away his figures aren't that stellar.

A lot of truth in there, Jonas is so frustrating how he holds the ball too long or makes a poor final pass. He does lose the ball more than he should because he makes bad decisions. He does show for the ball and runs all day though so at least he's not a passenger. Not good enough but better than what we've got until HBA comes back (if he does).

Guest Stephen927

Routledge is struggling enough on his stronger side, I don't think he'd fare any better playing on the left.

Routledge is struggling enough on his stronger side, I don't think he'd fare any better playing on the left.

It would be revolting.

He's got a decent shot on him though for when he's cutting inside.

It'd be worth it for a couple of games anyway to give Jonas a break and tell him he's not an automatic starter.

He's got a decent shot on him though for when he's cutting inside.

It'd be worth it for a couple of games anyway to give Jonas a break and tell him he's not an automatic starter.

This. Not like he's had many chances to 'struggle' anyway. Might as well give him a run of 2 or 3 games and see how he does.

Guest Stephen927

You could give Jonas as many breaks as he likes and he'd come back the same player imo, with his patchy form and 10 minutes here and there of looking like a threat. He needs replacing but right now what he does have going for him is he has an understanding with Enrique. Routledge wouldn't work well with him as he would be cutting inside all the time, and the threat from Enrique in the oppositions half would disappear completely as he would have virtually no support.

He has been average of late - thought he was quite poor against Liverpool, should have been running at Glen Johnson who is very dodgy defensively

He does help out a lot defensively though so he isnt totally useless as some people make him out to be

Any idea when Kazenga is fit? Would not mind seeing him play a few games

We need to get it to him quicker with a longer ball, Jose likes to Carry it out and Jonas is always back helping out anyway, would be good if we tried to get him one on one with the fullback.

We piss about and he ends up being doubled/trebled up on

Guest Ridzuan

I would stick with Jonas. Routledge doesnt look convincing on the right, so wont make much of a difference if we move him on the left. When Ben Arfa return, we should drop Jonas like what we did before he got injured.

I would stick with Jonas. Routledge doesnt look convincing on the right, so wont make much of a difference if we move him on the left. When Ben Arfa return, we should drop Jonas like what we did before he got injured.

HBA back will bring a bit of a selection issue .. Jose & HBA left with Simo & Jonas right

Tiote & Barton CM

Nolan hmmm well will it be him and Carroll? cannot see Pardew going with that

In fairness to the dodgy defensively Johnson, he's a player who despite his flaws is generally very good one-on-one which is why to an extent Jonas struggled and got a bit cancelled out. Looked a bit frustrated and has done the last few games. Unfortunately we really don't have anyone else to do his job, my best shout would have been getting Lua Lua back, but now he's injured that's not even an option.

From what I have seen for the last 2 years, Jonas always perform badly at winter.  He seems to have problems coping with the weather.

That said, at any time, he's far more useful than Routledge.  Even if he's unable to beat anyone, he can still create some play with Enrique. 

Guest Stephen927

IF he doesn't rape Carr then that's enough. He should be placed on the bench, put anyone on the wing. I defended Jonas for long but he's been crap lately.

The same Stephen Carr who for the most part has looked like a decent Premiership right back. Jonas hasn't ever consistently had a full back shit scared of him in the top flight since his arrival.

Guest Roger Kint

IF he doesn't rape Carr then that's enough. He should be placed on the bench, put anyone on the wing. I defended Jonas for long but he's been crap lately.

The same Stephen Carr who for the most part has looked like a decent Premiership right back. Jonas hasn't ever consistently had a full back s*** scared of him in the top flight since his arrival.

Bet Jose has been at times mind.......

Think he's one we keep until June, thank him for his services, and we look to improve on.

:sadnod: Starting to think that way myself.

It's amazing how this guy is defended for that which Martins was slated for (consistency).

Most wingers are pretty inconsistent to be fair. Maybe try Ranger on the left for a game or two, if the rest doesnt help Jonas then consider his future. Still dont think he suits our style of play anyway.

Guest neesy111

Most wingers are pretty inconsistent to be fair. Maybe try Ranger on the left for a game or two, if the rest doesnt help Jonas then consider his future. Still dont think he suits our style of play anyway.

:dowiespin: