Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

For the vast majority of those games, the common name on the bench while he starts is Anita. He's overtaken him now. We also have no injuries unlike last season. Coupled with the fact Jonas deteriorated badly last season, does he really need it explained to him and an arm round the shoulder telling him that?

I can't believe you think this is normal, seriously.  It's seemed weird to me all season that Jonas wasn't near the bench, just assumed it was injury / personal issues.

For the vast majority of those games, the common name on the bench while he starts is Anita. He's overtaken him now. We also have no injuries unlike last season. Coupled with the fact Jonas deteriorated badly last season, does he really need it explained to him and an arm round the shoulder telling him that?

I'm not being funny here like but that's rubbish, Anita plays central midfield which is a position Jonas inexplicably hasn't been played in properly for almost 2 years.

I'm not being funny here like but that's rubbish, Anita plays central midfield which is a position Jonas inexplicably hasn't been played in properly for almost 2 years.

But as a result, Sissoko's playing out wide compared to through the middle like last season.

It clearly did need to be explained to him in the way you suggest, or at least in a better way than it appears to have been put across to him.  Who replaces him is irrelevant to how he's told that he's no longer needed.  Do you really need this explaining to you?

Jonas needed to be moved on and if he wants to play then it is only fair on him that he is.

That said, given how he comes across it seems this could have been handled a lot more professionally/sensitively as he does sound quite hurt. He's never come across as the manipulative or trying to save face sort. I agree with the idea Pardew has basically been told he can't have a player on those wages struggling to make the squad and he has reacted hastily.

Pardew:

"He has gone on loan, he has not left. He was not playing first-team football. He wanted to play and I thought we had good cover for him to go out and play and that is what I have decided to do. I wish him well at Norwich. Chris knows him well and will get the best out out of him.

“He did nothing wrong here. He has been a great player for us but wasn’t playing. He is a senior player and I think he was desperate to play.

“The World Cup is not far away and so it was an opportunity for him to play. No more than that."

None of what Pardew has said there is news to us or Jonas.

Not according to Jonas. Why would he need to lie?

But we know he's not been playing first-team football and we had good cover. Pardew's bigged him up enough in the few years he's been here as well so it's hardly as if he's never appreciated his efforts.

"Jonas answered a few critics - I thought he was fabulous against Chelsea.

"Everybody gets a lift when you bring new players in and I think Jonas is an example of that.

"He's a good player, but he's been running on empty and lacking a bit of confidence and belief because the team hasn't been strong enough.

"It's disappointing for players like him. Sometimes when you bring new players in it's only right that you give him a chance and say, 'Come on then, we've got a proper team now - come and show your true form'.

"He did that and I'm pleased for him. I'm very proud of him."

Guest firetotheworks

Jonas was a likeable person, a hard worker, an important player at times and extremely dedicated despite his faults. Of course anyone that appreciates those things and hates Pardew is going to think it's shit when Pardew just casts him aside after 5 years without even giving him the decency of an explanation, made up or not.

Jonas was a likeable person, a hard worker, an important player at times and extremely dedicated despite his faults. Of course anyone that appreciates those things and hates Pardew is going to think it's s*** when Pardew just casts him aside after 5 years without even giving him the decency of an explanation, made up or not.

I'm not bothered who the players is, they all deserve the decency of an explanation when we look to get rid of them.  I'm glad that we've got rid of Jonas, although that will change if I have to watch Obertan again.  What I'm not happy with is a player, especially one who has done his best for us, doesn't seem to have been shown the courtesy and decency of being told why.  He has been told that he's no longer needed and what Pardew has been quoted as saying since he's left would have been better said to the player.

I'm trying to work out in my head how this could have panned out. I can't envisage a scenario whereby neither Pardew or Jonas have spoken since the summer. Jonas will have been doing his physio work but as far as I'm aware he hasn't been sent to train with the kids or been excluded from team activities. I do find it a bit difficult to believe that neither have spoken about why Jonas has been out the team or that Jonas hasn't even asked.

I am inclined however to believe Jonas after all the lies from Pardew and Ashley.

I wonder if there's tiny element of wanting to help out Chris Hughton in this decision. Ashley probably isn't quite the pantomime villain we sometimes make him out to be, and probably appreciates what he did for us, despite deciding to let him go.

It clearly did need to be explained to him in the way you suggest, or at least in a better way than it appears to have been put across to him.  Who replaces him is irrelevant to how he's told that he's no longer needed.  Do you really need this explaining to you?

:thup:

I wonder if there's tiny element of wanting to help out Chris Hughton in this decision. Ashley probably isn't quite the pantomime villain we sometimes make him out to be, and probably appreciates what he did for us, despite deciding to let him go.

:lol:

:lol:

This wasn't serious surely? :lol: