Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

People who absused Robert just didn't understand football. It was also far easier to have a go at him than Shearer.

Some of his performances were woeful though - so I think he did sometimes deserve some flak.  And I was a big fan of his.

Agree with that. Anyone who thinks Robert didn't need a boot up the arse on occasion is naive.

Undoubtedly talented but his workrate was what caused the abuse and rightly so on many an occasion.

There's been better footballers at NUFC with better workrates (Beardsley for one) and to say 'people didn't understand football' is bollocks tbf.

You can appreciate what he brought to the side and see his weaknesses.

Guest neesy111

Robert has the best left foot I've seen of anyone at this club.  Robert was a match-winner, could change a game instantly from a free-kick or awesome cross to Shearer.  I wasn't too bothered at times with his lack of effort to defend as he was very dangerous on the counter attack.

Robert has the best left foot I've seen of anyone at this club.  Robert was a match-winner, could change a game instantly from a free-kick or awesome cross to Shearer.  I wasn't too bothered at times with his lack of effort to defend as he was very dangerous on the counter attack.

ref: Arsenal away, December 2001.

Why are people comparing Robert to Jonas ffs. There is no comparison.

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

The two of them combined would be one of the best LW's in the world.

Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.

Guest neesy111

In the sense that the fan's get on Jonas' back like they did with Robert. Two frustrating players. Does something poor in the game and you can hear the abusive shout outs and groans go right through the ground.

Would agree on this, though I got laughed at by quite a few friends when I said it.  Imagine if we had a LW now that would score 8-10 goals a season and around 20 assists with Carroll upfront.

Would agree on this, though I got laughed at by quite a few friends when I said it.  Imagine if we had a LW now that would score 8-10 goals a season and around 20 assists with Carroll upfront.

Robert was absolutely unplayable on his day, which came around more often than a lot of people realise.

Ask them to name 10 better ones during his peak. You'll get silence.

No - he wasn't.  He was exceptional for us for 2 seasons.  Utterly brilliant.  But he was not one of the best LWs in the world.

Guest Roger Kint

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

He did a lot of bombing, you said we hadn't seen any in some time.  You were wrong.  Despite his many faults, he bombed up and down that flank all afternoon and was a fundamental component in us getting a valuable win.  I was there and cheered him 'til hoarse.  his attitude was excellent and his role pivotal in the win.

oooohhhh sooopafan alert, no matter how hoarse you made yourself you still can only offer one good game? As i have already admitted he was good(not excellent as was said) but hey if he can do it once who cares about the many other times he couldnt eh?

No - he wasn't.  He was exceptional for us for 2 seasons.  Utterly brilliant.  But he was not one of the best LWs in the world.

He was during those two years, some of the things he did on the attack were truly unstoppable.

Best league in the world and we finished 3rd and 4th with Robert being instrumental in both those seasons, not many better LW at that time, maybe Pires for Arsenal.

Most of us have missed any form of bombing from Jonas for some time never mind against Stevenage......

He was excellent at Wigan.  I guess it's not part of the zeitgeist to praise tyneside's latest scapegoat though.

Excellent? He had a good game while messing up a excellent chance, but seriously, to suggest he was excellent while attempting to chastise me for a pretty fair opinion based on more than one single game is taking the piss!

He did a lot of bombing, you said we hadn't seen any in some time.  You were wrong.  Despite his many faults, he bombed up and down that flank all afternoon and was a fundamental component in us getting a valuable win.  I was there and cheered him 'til hoarse.  his attitude was excellent and his role pivotal in the win.

oooohhhh sooopafan alert, no matter how hoarse you made yourself you still can only offer one good game? As i have already admitted he was good(not excellent as was said) but hey if he can do it once who cares about the many other times he couldnt eh?

You said he'd done nowt recently.  I named a recent game in which he'd done a lot. I'm offering you nothing, I'm not attempting to chastise you.  I'm illustrating what you say is wrong using a piece of evidence that contradicts what you claimed.    Seems pretty reasonable to me.

On the topic of Robert, why was he breaking into the French side with PSG yet completely ignored once he came here?

Domenech was a psycho who literally believed in balancing the astrological signs of his squad?  Also Robert Pires?

On the topic of Robert, why was he breaking into the French side with PSG yet completely ignored once he came here?

Domenech was a psycho who literally believed in balancing the astrological signs of his squad?  Also Robert Pires?

Robert moved here in 01, Domench didn't take over until 04. Looking at his stats it seems that after gaining 11 caps at PSG he was dropped as soon as he moved.

Would agree with this, was always a fan of his and defended him many times on this forum. His crossing, freekicks and long range shooting was amongst the best. Remember the Spurs game...unfuckingbelievable!

I could not care less if he did ot reproduce the same form week in week out, at such high level nobody could maybe barring Messi and possibly Ronaldo. As fans we live for magical moments when a game is won with a stroke of genius....and Robert provided it in abundanace!

Pires, Giggs, Ronaldinho, Nedved at least. Feel like im missing someone. I agree somewhat, and I'll rephrase: The two of them combined would arguably be the best lw in the world.

Guest Roger Kint

You said he'd done nowt recently.  I named a recent game in which he'd done a lot. I'm offering you nothing, I'm not attempting to chastise you.  I'm illustrating what you say is wrong using a piece of evidence that contradicts what you claimed.    Seems pretty reasonable to me.

You are struggling to read what is in front of you so its not worth saying much more after this. Chastising was several posts ago well done for catching up, as was my verdict of Wigan where i clearly stated he played well although i dispute the bombing part.

Pires, Giggs, Ronaldinho, Nedved at least. Feel like im missing someone. I agree somewhat, and I'll rephrase: The two of them combined would arguably be the best lw in the world.

Rivaldo - if you can count him as a LW (which he did play - just not all that frequently).  Overmars at a push (although in decline).  Kily Gonzalez (was probably as good for as short a period of time).  Luis Figo (sometimes played on the left I believe).

Guest neesy111

Rivaldo - if you can count him as a LW (which he did play - just not all that frequently).  Overmars at a push (although in decline).  Kily Gonzalez (was probably as good for as short a period of time).  Luis Figo (sometimes played on the left I believe).

Overmars and Gonzalez better were not better than robert in those 2 seasons.

The original comment was that Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.  You can't be one of the best LWs in the world if you are exceptional for only 2 seasons.  That is not nearly a long enough period to be regarded as one of the best LWs in the world.

The original comment was that Robert was one of the best LWs in the world.  You can't be one of the best LWs in the world if you are exceptional for only 2 seasons.  That is not nearly a long enough period to be regarded as one of the best LWs in the world.

I think the comment was that he was one of the best LWs in the world at that time, not ever.