Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

I'm not sure about Keane. He's always been a 'reaction' type of striker. He's not pacy, strong or particularly skillful but he's got good technique and movement, which hasn't been in evidence for quite some time. I'm just not sure he's the right fit for us long term. I wouldn't mind a six month loan deal to see what he has left in the tank, though.

One of the things that has been so refreshing about Hughton is that he's never targeted has-beens, like Duff, Parker, Emre etc.; those players who were dropping down to come to us, the players who showed a noticeable lack of fight and hunger when the going got tough. We've got a team filled with players who are motivated to do better and it's been reinforced by all of Hughton's signings. I would prefer it if Hughton followed the same pattern re: a new striker.

Pretty much nobody can pull a 15-goal-a-season Premiership striker from out of their asses with anything less than 10 million pounds.

It's going to be tough come January. I can already see myself pulling my hair out when there are no signings by the 28th.

We don't even need a 15 goal a season striker, I'd like to think we've got that now in Carroll. All we need is somebody with reasonable movement and pace that can link up play. I'm sure we could get a half decent foil for Carroll for cheap enough. It wouldn't take much to significantly improve on what we have.

The problem is ideally we need to move atleast 2 strikers on aswell.

Aye, that's going to stifle us. Best I think we could move on but I just don't see anyone particularly wanting Lovenkrands or Xisco.

One positive, I suppose, is that a lot of players would have been put off signing for us in the summer because they assumed (rightfully) that we'd be a complete shitshow this season.

At the very least we've showed that we're not that, so maybe some player will have changed their minds.

Still notoriously hard to sign anybody in January though. I was very hopeful for major winter signings in 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 and got disappointed severely. I had no hope whatsoever last year and got pleasantly surprised.

Expecting nothing again then.

Guest Heneage

Aye, that's going to stifle us. Best I think we could move on but I just don't see anyone particularly wanting Lovenkrands or Xisco.

We should really have looked to get Lovenkrands in on a two year deal with the option of a third year if he played a certain amount of games.

It sounds so obvious but we should be looking at Holland again. Tiote was not a one off the league has about 10-15 players who would work well in this league and are within our pricing structure.

Hammill is available for £500k due to a release clause, not a bad shout. Wouldnt want dos Santos or Keane though

Understandable question marks. Not been playing regularly, a long time since he last scored in the Prem, injury prone, and turned his nose up at us (apparently) just a few months ago.

Having said that, I'd still say he's worth a punt given our options at the moment. Hughton will have a small kitty, pehaps sod all, and he will have to pull something out of the bag. We could do worse than Keane on loan for sure, but it's a signing that would offer no guarantees. Look at the number of so called top players who have let us down in recent years - most had something in common, they were journeymen past their best and lacked the drive to succeed at yet another club. Keane could easily be the next on a long list to wash up at our club and do bugger all.

With us looking so weak on the right side, Hughton may take a look at his forwards (he has plenty but they're average at best) and decide he at least has numbers there, while we are lacking both numbers and quality at right midfield. If Carroll gets a serious injury we are f*cked, and it is true that a decent goalscorer will keep us up, but finding someone capable of replacing Carroll would be very difficult.

Ideally, we could bring in both: a right winger and a striker that would improve the squad and, hopefully, the first team too. But I think Hughton will be operating on a shoestring.