Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Keane? Old player with no resale value, high wages, on his way down as a player. Yes i wouldn't say no if it just was on loan for 6 months and an acceptable loan fee, but that's a different matter, they wont let him go out on loan anyway probably. You keep saying that maybe he's not good enough for spurs but he's good enough for us? Wouldn't it be better to go for younger players with quality enough for now, but also has the potential to be better than "ok for us" ? Some players can, i repeat can be a good investment for now and the future, but keane's not one of them, yes he could be seen as a short term investment helping us stay in the premiership, but there's other players who could help us with that it hink and at the same time be a sound investment for many years to come.

Example, say that the only way of us signing Keane is by buying him from spurs for a minimum of 5-6M? Wages? probably 35-40k/week, and that's probably counting quite low. I would much rather add 2-3M on that and go for Gervinho who's the better player imo and he's only 23 years old, yes he's not used to the PL but i have no doubts about him adapting pretty quickly. He's the much better investment comparing the two and he's got the future ahead of him and if it turned out as we sold him in the future we would probably loose less by selling him than keane in a couple of years, we might even make a big profit on him if we signed and sold him in theory (spelling?) And yes i have seen him quite alot on tv, and yes i think he would be willing to come here.

Saying that, it's almost certain that Ashley would say no to a permanent transfer of Keane, as well as it is almost certain that he wont fork out 8-9M for Gervinho. But it's just my personal view  regarding Keane and how things should be done. And to be honest i think AShley would rather go for my option if he had to pick one, not that i see him going for any of the two as said.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11979_6580785,00.html

Ola Toivonen

Prolific forward Toivonen has made a big impact at PSV since arriving from Malmo early last year, knocking in 29 goals for the Dutch club.

The Sweden international has stated he won't leave PSV this winter as the club will already lose Ibrahim Afellay to Barcelona - but things can change very quickly in modern football.

Toivonen and Hungarian winger Balasz Dzudzsak are two Eindhoven players who have both been linked with an English switch. Toivonen, 24, whose strength would be useful to a lot of Premier League sides, once stated he would love to play for Newcastle United. Could he be a new partner for Andy Carroll if the prolific striker stays at St James' Park?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11979_6580785,00.html

Ola Toivonen

Prolific forward Toivonen has made a big impact at PSV since arriving from Malmo early last year, knocking in 29 goals for the Dutch club.

The Sweden international has stated he won't leave PSV this winter as the club will already lose Ibrahim Afellay to Barcelona - but things can change very quickly in modern football.

Toivonen and Hungarian winger Balasz Dzudzsak are two Eindhoven players who have both been linked with an English switch. Toivonen, 24, whose strength would be useful to a lot of Premier League sides, once stated he would love to play for Newcastle United. Could he be a new partner for Andy Carroll if the prolific striker stays at St James' Park?

Temperamental guy mind. Risky as far as the social in the club goes, but looks skillful.

Toivonen temperamental? Is he?  Never heard that befor, but then I again I don't follow dutch football and only read swedish newspaper.

At least according to some PSV-fans on a norwegian forum. Also, in his first 14 games for PSV he picked up something like four yellow and one red card.

I believe that if we can keep this up and be 7th-8th by January than it would be stupid of Ashley not to try and invest in bringing some young players such as Toivonen to the club. Toivonen will look at it as we're a club on the up and be attracted by us. However, if we don't invest at all as Ashley will probably think everything is perfect at the club as we're 7th-8th I can see us having a very tough spring.

Players I'd try to sign that are realistic:

Seb Larsson

Toivonen

Adam Johnson (loan) - probably not very realistic but who knows.

Brunt - If West Brom starts to falter now in the coming weeks.

Moussa Sow - 13 goals in 16 matches for Lille he's 24 and maybe isn't realistic but wouldn't hurt to try.