Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

The way I see it is that Carrick wouldn't make our starting line up. Tiote > Carrick, and we need a much more attack minded midfielder to partner him. Therefore there's no reason to sign him, pay big wages and let him stagnate and decline further while sat on our bench.

Guest Stephen927

Carrick will be 30 come the summer. He was 27 the last time he had a good season. He's on the decline.

Nobody is arguing against that man :lol:

So how is he any different to Smith and Butt when we signed them? We shouldn't avoid signing players from Man United entirely, that would be ignorance, we should avoid signing players who are ageing and not looking anything like getting back into form though, irregardless of which club they come from.

Carrick will be 30 come the summer. He was 27 the last time he had a good season. He's on the decline.

So how is he any different to Smith and Butt when we signed them? We shouldn't avoid signing players from Man United entirely, that would be ignorance, we should avoid signing players who are ageing and not looking anything like getting back into form though, irregardless of which club they come from.

Because he's better than Smith and Butt when we signed them! I dunno why I'm biting anyway, I don't even want him here :lol:

I'd love to have him here. Sign him up on a 2 year contract and see how he goes.

Do we do two-year contracts?

Should do for players over 26.

Guest Stephen927

Because he's better than Smith and Butt when we signed them! I dunno why I'm biting anyway, I don't even want him here :lol:

I'm not fishing, I just believe Carrick is playing to the same level now that Smith and Butt were in their final season at OT.

Carrick would be a massive step in the wrong direction when we've finally (apparently) heading in the right on when it comes to our signings.

There is no wrong direction or right direction. Is Perch a step in the right direction? There is no problem targeting older players as long we hedge the risk presented by them and supplement it with other types of signings. It is just foolish to pass up signing a talented footballer because he does not resemble other recent signings.

Guest Stephen927

Carrick would be a massive step in the wrong direction when we've finally (apparently) heading in the right on when it comes to our signings.

There is no wrong direction or right direction. Is Perch a step in the right direction? There is no problem targeting older players as long we hedge the risk presented by them and supplement it with other types of signings. It is just foolish to pass up signing a talented footballer because he does not resemble other recent signings.

There is a problem signing older players who would cost £8m+ and want £40k+ when our budget is likely to be relatively small.

James Perch is a 25 year old and was arguably brought in as defensive cover for various positions. Whilst he's turned out to not be a very good player, the intent of the signing was very good. Campbell, the other bad signing this season, was also a good one in theory as he'd cover us should we get injuries and could aid the younger players with his experience. I also think there were talks of him taking up a coaching role with the club once he'd retired.

Carrick is an aging player on the decline with a very likely high wage for the one position we actually do have enough players for. It'd be a silly signing and one in the wrong direction.

I'd love to have him here. Sign him up on a 2 year contract and see how he goes.

Do we do two-year contracts?

Should do for players over 26.

So we should give the likes of Barton and Colo two-year deals?

James Perch is a 25 year old and was arguably brought in as defensive cover for various positions.

Agreed. The same goes for Best this time last year.

Guest andyb77

Watched a bit of QPR v Cov earlier and Taraabt stands out a mile in that league. Debatable whether he's a "realistic" target, but he's impressed every time I've seen him.  Heard rumours about dodgy attitude?