Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Lee Chung Yong, the Korean right winger for Bolton looks pretty good when I've seen him. Still only 22 and adapted quickly to the Premier League. Sort of player we could attract, would fit the team's work ethic and who would have his best years ahead of him.

Yeah, cos Bolton will happily sell him. Seriously people?

We missed the boat on him bigtime. Should have been in for him while he was banging them in for my local club over here and was willing to go for peanuts to any Prem club that would have him. If he moves at all it'll be to one of the 4th~8th place clubs.

i've just mentioned him in another thread, think he is a cracking player and would fit in our style well and i would love us to sign him.  Biggest problem would be getting Bolton to sell though.   The bonus of getting him would also be the extra money we could make on the merchandise side of things over in Asia and the far east.

This is a myth by the way. Man United sells shirts in Korea because they're Man United, not because Park plays for them.

I have literally never seen a single person walking around in a Wolves, Spurs, Reading, West Brom, Boro, Wigan, Bolton, or Celtic shirt around here.

Think the biggest signing we need to make over the next season and a half is getting Coloccini and Jose (and to a lesser extent players like Barton) new contracts. I don't know how long they've got left but I'd imagine 2 years tops and they're massive players but will Mike be willing to match their current wages?

I can imagine Tiote attracting a lot of attention as well so we need to hang onto him.

Yep, we should be tying down key players to long-term deals now.

Coloccini will probably be more than happy enough finishing his career here, so make it happen big Mike.

would he be prepared to take a huge pay cut though?  there's no way his new deal would be the £80k a week he's rumoured to be on now.  He'd be offered half of that.  Same with Barton, he's been talking about how he's loving it here now and playing his best football but if he wants to stay he's going to have to take a paycut as well.

Lee Chung Yong, the Korean right winger for Bolton looks pretty good when I've seen him. Still only 22 and adapted quickly to the Premier League. Sort of player we could attract, would fit the team's work ethic and who would have his best years ahead of him.

We missed the boat on him bigtime. Should have been in for him while he was banging them in for my local club over here and was willing to go for peanuts to any Prem club that would have him. If he moves at all it'll be to one of the 4th~8th place clubs.

i've just mentioned him in another thread, think he is a cracking player and would fit in our style well and i would love us to sign him.  Biggest problem would be getting Bolton to sell though.   The bonus of getting him would also be the extra money we could make on the merchandise side of things over in Asia and the far east.

This is a myth by the way. Man United sells shirts in Korea because they're Man United, not because Park plays for them.

I have literally never seen a single person walking around in a Wolves, Spurs, Reading, West Brom, Boro, Wigan, Bolton, or Celtic shirt around here.

Are you sure that they wouldn't be more likely to support a successful club if one of their players played for them? That's been my experience. They stick with the biggest clubs but change allegiances if one of their compatriots make it to the the upper echelons. Maybe it is different in Korea, but when Kanu was at Arsenal, 99 percent of people supported Arsenal. Now that Mikel Obi is at Chelsea, there are embarrassingly massive "Mikel" advertisements by the major roads in Lagos and 90 percent of people support Chelsea. No one gave a damn when Okocha was at Bolton or Martins was at Newcastle, though.

Are you sure that they wouldn't be more likely to support a successful club if one of their players played for them? That's been my experience. They stick with the biggest clubs but change allegiances if one of their compatriots make it to the the upper echelons. Maybe it is different in Korea, but when Kanu was at Arsenal, 99 percent of people supported Arsenal. Now that Mikel Obi is at Chelsea, there are embarrassingly massive "Mikel" advertisements by the major roads in Lagos and 90 percent of people support Chelsea. No one gave a damn when Okocha was at Bolton or Martins was at Newcastle, though.

Well, yes, if a Korean signed for Chelsea or Arsenal or those relegation-strugglers from Merseyside I'm sure sales of those shirts would increase significantly.

It wouldn't help for us or any of the other mid-to-lower table sides though. That was kind of what I was trying to say.

Agreed. In Korea I never saw anyone wearing those shirts. A good few people wearing Arsenal jackets, who to my knowledge have never had a Korean player. I never saw Celtic shirts worn in Korea or Japan either, despite Nakamura, Ki Sung Yong and Cha Du Ri. Wearing football shirts is not that common in East Asia, and I don't imagine it brings in much revenue at all.

Those clubs with Korean players are always on TV in Korea, so perhaps there is some TV money but I don't imagine it amounts to much for the British clubs. Many games are often on at stupid-o-clock in East Asia due to the time difference.

Park Ji Sung was signed simply because he's a good player, as was Lee Chung Yong.

I'm aware that proven Premiership players don't come cheap and I agree Ashley would be unlikely to release the kind of funds necessary, but I put his name forward as the kind of player the club should aspire to sign if we want to build for the future (as is Ashley's stated aim). He is exactly the sort of player we need, a young talented right winger who will also work hard for the team. He adapted very quickly to English football and I still think we are a bigger draw for players than Bolton. It's not a ridiculous suggestion, though I agree he wouldn't be cheap.

If we stabilise in the Premiership this season we'll be looking to improve our first team which means looking at players like him or cheaper unproven foreigners. We may land another Tiote or fluke another Williamson on the cheap but to improve on your first team you generally have to spend a bit, espescially when you're in the Premiership.

Agreed. In Korea I never saw anyone wearing those shirts. A good few people wearing Arsenal jackets, who to my knowledge have never had a Korean player. I never saw Celtic shirts worn in Korea or Japan either, despite Nakamura, Ki Sung Yong and Cha Du Ri. Wearing football shirts is not that common in East Asia, and I don't imagine it brings in much revenue at all.

Those clubs with Korean players are always on TV in Korea, so perhaps there is some TV money but I don't imagine it amounts to much for the British clubs. Many games are often on at stupid-o-clock in East Asia due to the time difference.

Park Ji Sung was signed simply because he's a good player, as was Lee Chung Yong.

I'm aware that proven Premiership players don't come cheap and I agree Ashley would be unlikely to release the kind of funds necessary, but I put his name forward as the kind of player the club should aspire to sign if we want to build for the future (as is Ashley's stated aim). He is exactly the sort of player we need, a young talented right winger who will also work hard for the team. He adapted very quickly to English football and I still think we are a bigger draw for players than Bolton. It's not a ridiculous suggestion, though I agree he wouldn't be cheap.

If we stabilise in the Premiership this season we'll be looking to improve our first team which means looking at players like him or cheaper unproven foreigners. We may land another Tiote or fluke another Williamson on the cheap but to improve on your first team you generally have to spend a bit, espescially when you're in the Premiership.

One thing that's particularly disappointing for me:

As a relatively unattractive Premiership team, surely the best way out of our predicament is to expand our scouting network and sign players from lesser-known leagues across Europe and even the world who would jump at the chance to play for ANY Premiership club. (AKA "the Wigan model")

We've seen absolutely none of that under Ashley. When is the last time we made a single signing from outside the six major European leagues? Despite all the song and dance about expanding our scouting network, we remain terribly myopic as far as finding hidden talent goes.

I know this is easier said than done, but you have to be disappointed that we're not even trying. (At least at the senior level)

A point I've made during the summer that still holds true.

While we've been doing an excellent job digging up relative unknowns from the UK and Western Europe, the "global reach" of our scouting team seems to be non-existant.

We've seen absolutely none of that under Ashley. When is the last time we made a single signing from outside the six major European leagues? Despite all the song and dance about expanding our scouting network, we remain terribly myopic as far as finding hidden talent goes.

Our lastest signing, Cheick Tiote.

I see you made this statement well before we signed him, but from what I can gather the club has done a decent job. Don't forget the likes of Vuckic and the interest in Arevalo.

Our lastest signing, Cheick Tiote.

I see you made this statement well before we signed him, but from what I can gather the club has done a decent job. Don't forget the likes of Vuckic and the interest in Arevalo.

Excuse my ignorance, but are the six not England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, and Holland?

Holland would not be in my (or UEFA's I believe) top six leagues. It has fallen off a lot in recent years. Tbh, I think the first five you mentioned are definitely the top five, but it is up for debate after that. Russia, Portugal, and maybe even Greece and/or Turkey have moved well ahead of the Dutch.

Anyway, any signings outside of the top three would be considered a good find for the club, imo and will probably be at a reduced cost.

Holland would not be in my (or UEFA's I believe) top six leagues. It has fallen off a lot in recent years. Tbh, I think the first five you mentioned are definitely the top five, but it is up for debate after that. Russia, Portugal, and maybe even Greece and/or Turkey have moved well ahead of the Dutch.

Anyway, any signings outside of the top three would be considered a good find for the club, imo and will probably be at a reduced cost.

Fair enough. In my mind the "top six" have always just been the six leagues that used to be selectable when I was playing Winning Eleven :lol:

Seen a couple of Celtic shirts since I've been in Korea tbh, some Koreans were kicking a ball around in a park I was in and they had them on.

The amount of focus on Park and Lee is a bit mad here I must say, couple of times I've been in a restaurant or pub and there's been highlights of just those two players being played on a loop on the TV. Was class before the Sunderland game, they had a highlights package for Park from a recent game. Loads of clips of him scuffing shots wide or losing the ball. :lol:

Most people here that I've met don't really seem to care or know much about the Premiership at all tbh, certainly in the case of my students anyway. They all seem to like football but you never see them in jerseys and they generally look blankly at me when I try to talk to them about recent games and the like. (yes Tooj, they can understand me just fine btw.)

Oldtype, what's the logic behind there being no rubbish bins in Korea btw? :lol:

Seen a couple of Celtic shirts since I've been in Korea tbh, some Koreans were kicking a ball around in a park I was in and they had them on.

The amount of focus on Park and Lee is a bit mad here I must say, couple of times I've been in a restaurant or pub and there's been highlights of just those two players being played on a loop on the TV. Was class before the Sunderland game, they had a highlights package for Park from a recent game. Loads of clips of him scuffing shots wide or losing the ball. :lol:

Most people here that I've met don't really seem to care or know much about the Premiership at all tbh, certainly in the case of my students anyway. They all seem to like football but you never see them in jerseys and they generally look blankly at me when I try to talk to them about recent games and the like. (yes Tooj, they can understand me just fine btw.)

Oldtype, what's the logic behind there being no rubbish bins in Korea btw? :lol:

Someone in the Seoul municipal government decided several years ago that the City would look nicer if we got rid of all the rubbish bins. Eventually people realized that it was a terrible idea and started putting some back. Still not enough though.

Said person has now moved up to a bigger job, btw. Guess who.

Someone in the Seoul municipal government decided several years ago that the City would look nicer if we got rid of all the rubbish bins. Eventually people realized that it was a terrible idea and started putting some back. Still not enough though.

Said person has now moved up to a bigger job, btw. Guess who.

:lol:

Is it that President that nobody likes?

One thing that's particularly disappointing for me:

As a relatively unattractive Premiership team, surely the best way out of our predicament is to expand our scouting network and sign players from lesser-known leagues across Europe and even the world who would jump at the chance to play for ANY Premiership club. (AKA "the Wigan model")

I know this is easier said than done, but you have to be disappointed that we're not even trying. (At least at the senior level)

A point I've made during the summer that still holds true.

While we've been doing an excellent job digging up relative unknowns from the UK and Western Europe, the "global reach" of our scouting team seems to be non-existant.

I've been saying the same thing for years as well and been hammered for it.  Tiote is the perfect example of the kind of player at the right kind of price that we should be looking for.

Different I know but Nakamura going to Celtic had a huge effect on their image over apparently there and I'm sure it has paid off for them in the marketing sense.

I mean, I'm sure there are some people out there with Celtic shirts, just not enough to be considered a "marketing coup."

That would be like looking at me waltzing around in my '05-'06 Scott Parker and remarking "wow! there must be a large Newcastle following in South Korea!"

The left winger from Barnsley Adam Hammill would be a good player to add to group of lads.

I like the look of him aswell.

Know idea whether he'd be up to Prem football though. He was released by Liverpool wasn't he?

He signed for a "‘significant’ six-figure fee." not sure how much that is.