Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Re: that Bolton winger...

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has admitted the club may need to sell in January in an effort to cut costs.

The Trotters revealed on Wednesday that the club's losses have more than doubled to £35.4million over the past year, with their debt rising from £64m to £93m.

Part of the problem for the Reebok Stadium side is a crippling wage bill, with a number of high earners currently on the books.

Gartside knows it is imperative that the club look to tighten their belt if they are to balance the books and avoid financial meltdown.

That means star men could be offloaded once the transfer window reopens, with England international defender Gary Cahill among those already attracting attention from afar.

Gartside told Bloomberg: "If a Champions League team knocks on our door in January that's the best time to sell an asset because Champions League teams will pay the money."

Swedish striker Johan Elmander, who has rediscovered his form this season, is another who could be moved on, with his contract set to expire next summer.

Consideration

Gartside added: "He's out of contract at the end of this season and again if someone knocks on the door in January then that's obviously a consideration we have to make."

Elmander is not the only player seeing his contract run down, but Gartside admits no decisions have been taken as yet regarding possible extensions.

He acknowledges that changes to the structure of the club need to be made, with salaries in football as a whole having spiralled out of control.

He said: "Owners should be allowed to invest in equity. So if you, as an owner, want to buy a striker for £10million that shouldn't be a problem.

"But what you then can't do is pay him extortionate wages that take you out of the break-even situation.

"We are carrying too many on the wage bill.

"To be fair, nine players are out of contract in the summer, within them heavy earners, and we'll decide if we want to offer them new contracts."

The asking price would still be 10M+.

Of course it wouldn't. Are you mad? Someone'll just nick him for free in the summer, if they want to get money for him (which, to be fair, we don't know if they do) it'll probably be more around the £4-5m mark.

Of course it wouldn't. Are you mad? Someone'll just nick him for free in the summer, if they want to get money for him (which, to be fair, we don't know if they do) it'll probably be more around the £4-5m mark.

Considering Lee isn't out of contract in the summer (in fact has just signed a 3-year deal with us), it would be. From the 9 players out of contract next summer, only 2 are in the first-team.

Considering Lee isn't out of contract in the summer (in fact has just signed a 3-year deal with us), it would be. From the 9 players out of contract next summer, only 2 are in the first-team.

I thought yo uwere on about Elmander, sorry. :lol:

jukeboxromeo; how on earth is a club like Bolton going to service that kind of debt? It's ridiculous someone has allowed it to happen considering, and I've always thought of Bolton as a sensible club working within their limitations. Is there any sensible way back apart from selling players when they are hot? Even releasing players out of contract next year isn't going to make you money, just stop the situation getting worse and piling on more debt, and even then to stay the same you will have to bring in squad players, who on earth put you in over £90m in debt (manger and players)?

jukeboxromeo; how on earth is a club like Bolton going to service that kind of debt? It's ridiculous someone has allowed it to happen considering, and I've always thought of Bolton as a sensible club working within their limitations. Is there any sensible way back apart from selling players when they are hot? Even releasing players out of contract next year isn't going to make you money, just stop the situation getting worse and piling on more debt, and even then to stay the same you will have to bring in squad players, who on earth put you in over £90m in debt (manger and players)?

We've been in debt for ages, since 2002-03 I think - since then the problem has just got worse. The vast majority of our debt isn't to the bank though, but to our owner. We've had to spend about 40M on players in the last 3 seasons (with the only major sale being Anelka) to simply stay in the division as Allardyce leaving set us back a few years.

In short, no idea how we're going to service that debt. I think we budget for 17th every season. Staying up, buying young players and selling big is the viable option, can't see us being bought out by a foreign investor any time soon. As a result of these accounts, I guess it's almost certain that Cahill goes in January.

Donovan saying in today's LA Times that he's not really too keen on a loan move in the MLS post-season due to being "physically drained" from playing 12 consecutive months without break. This is relevant to this thread as the same article links us again alongside Everton.

Wonder if Spurs would take an offer for Bentley in Jan?  Van Der Fart will keep him out for a while and I can't see him being happy with that.

Is he still up to it though?

Was dire against the mackems IMO.

Still think the player he was at Blackburn is there somewhere though, if somebody was to have a bit of faith in him. Moot point though, Spurs will want serious wedge regardless so I don't think he's realistic.

I reckon Keane will fancy it this time around. Probably turned us down before assuming he'd get more of a look in at Spurs with them being in the CL and that we'd be struggling. Neither has really happened. In fact I bet he's regretting his decision now.

Whether or not he's good enough any more is open to debate but he must carry more of a goal threat than our other non-Carroll strikers.

I reckon Keane will fancy it this time around. Probably turned us down before assuming he'd get more of a look in at Spurs with them being in the CL and that we'd be struggling. Neither has really happened. In fact I bet he's regretting his decision now.

Whether or not he's good enough any more is open to debate but he must carry more of a goal threat than our other non-Carroll strikers.

aye, was thinking that half way through the 2nd half.