Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

No thank you to Taarabt.

I know he has flashes of pure brilliance, but he does sweet FA in between.  Couldn't carry somebody like that in the EPL.

So take out the flashes of pure brilliance and its kind of like having Smith, Shola, Perch, Lovenkrands and Guthrie then. To name a few.  Surely he would be an upgrade.

there are better upgrades

No thank you to Taarabt.

I know he has flashes of pure brilliance, but he does sweet FA in between.  Couldn't carry somebody like that in the EPL.

So take out the flashes of pure brilliance and its kind of like having Smith, Shola, Perch, Lovenkrands and Guthrie then. To name a few.  Surely he would be an upgrade.

there are better upgrades

..and mainly in more important areas. Not to say we couldn't improve in CM/AM we have to at least ship Guthrie and Smith out. Then we still have Nolan, Gosling, Barton and maybe HBA to fill that role.

As I said earlier, along with CB its the least likely position I could see us strengthening this January.

Keane would be exactly what we need for this and next season, add a decent midfield cover like Stephen Ireland/David Bentley and look at loans for left back.

Krul

S.Taylor Colo Williamson Enrique

Ireland/Bentley Barton Nolan Jonas

Keane Carroll

A side worthy of a top ten finish, genuine attacking threat from all areas of the pitch. Ship out Smith and Best and happy days...

Keane would be exactly what we need for this and next season, add a decent midfield cover like Stephen Ireland/David Bentley and look at loans for left back.

Krul

S.Taylor Colo Williamson Enrique

Ireland/Bentley Barton Nolan Jonas

Keane Carroll

A side worthy of a top ten finish, genuine attacking threat from all areas of the pitch. Ship out Smith and Best and happy days...

:facepalm:      Tioté?

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/12/31/magpies-robbie-keane-pursuit-in-doubt-61634-27910959/

Magpies' Robbie Keane pursuit in doubt

Dec 31 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United’s second attempt to sign Robbie Keane this season is in doubt as Tottenham Hotspur would like to sell the striker rather than loan him to a Premier League rival.

Keane turned down a move to St James’ Park just before deadline day in August but, as The Journal revealed last week, the Magpies are looking into the possibility of making a fresh bid for the Republic of Ireland international.

The 30-year-old has been cast aside by Spurs boss Harry Redknapp and, having initially decided to fight for his place rather than move to Tyneside in the summer, Keane is desperate to leave in the upcoming window.

United have some competition for his signature as West Ham, Birmingham City and his former club Wolverhampton Wanderers are also interested, although it remains to be seen whether they are willing to offer the sort of money Tottenham are looking for to sell him.

Newcastle are not keen on a permanent deal as the player’s wage demands are high and, at his age, there will be little sell-on value. A fee of around £3m would also put a massive dent in Alan Pardew’s limited mid-winter transfer budget.

However, the United boss knows he needs to try and bolster his goal threat to ease the pressure on Andy Carroll’s young shoulders and Keane is a proven top-flight goalscorer and he is available, two things that rarely go hand-in-hand in the January window.

United have refused to confirm or deny whether they are ready to make a second offer for the former Coventry City and Inter Milan star with a club source insisting yesterday it was just a “rumour” at this stage. But Pardew is definitely looking to sign another striker in January and, although Newcastle also made bids for Manchester City’s Craig Bellamy and Liverpool’s David Ngog, Keane would appear to be the only one of that trio who will be allowed to move clubs in the New Year.

Although Peter Løvenkrands, Nile Ranger and Leon Best offer cover for a first-choice pairing of Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll, none of that trio have proven themselves in the top flight.

Spurs, though, will expect a sizeable loan fee to allow their former captain to leave White Hart Lane, even though he has been frozen out by Redknapp in recent weeks.

A left-back and a winger also appear to be high on Pardew’s wish list and United have been credited with an interest in Leeds United’s Max Gradel and Southampton’s Jason Puncheon, who is currently on loan at Millwall.

Gradel has had a marvellous season so far with Leeds in the Championship and would add some much needed pace to the side.

The former Leicester player has also been watched by Wigan Athletic, although reports have suggested United are prepared to offer Best as a make-weight in the deal to bring Gradel to St James’ Park.

Meanwhile, Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has insisted he has had no offers for former Newcastle midfielder Charles N’Zogbia, who will miss Sunday’s clash against the Magpies due to suspension, despite the French winger being linked with several clubs.

N’Zogbia, facing a three-match ban after being sent off for head-butting Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere in Wednesday’s 2-2 Premier League draw at the DW Stadium, is said to have drawn interest from Marseille, Birmingham and Sunderland.

Martinez has stressed N’Zogbia will be staying until the end of the season and said: “The situation has not changed – there have been no offers but I’m sure the speculation will carry on.”

The Spaniard also said he has had no contact with Manchester United about Tom Cleverley – a former United target during Chris Hughton’s reign as Magpies manager – returning from his loan spell with the Latics.

It has been suggested Sir Alex Ferguson may want the midfielder to cover for Park Ji-Sung during his absence at the Asia Cup.

“We have him for a season-long loan,” added Martinez.

@CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

Pardew expects "little movement" in transfer window. Protecting what #NUFC have is priority plus to "strengthen offensively."

Suggests one striker on loan IMO. But I would suspect that is dependent on one going out.

Pardew expects "little movement" in transfer window. Protecting what #NUFC have is priority plus to "strengthen offensively."

Suggests one striker on loan IMO. But I would suspect that is dependent on one going out.

would it bother anyone if loven or best moved on ?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Would rather see Best go than Loven

Nope. Can't see anyone wanting Lovenkrands though. Best might fetch a million from a Championship club.

Nope. Can't see anyone wanting Lovenkrands though. Best might fetch a million from a Championship club.

Please tell me that Loven's contract is up in the summer.

Please tell me that Loven's contract is up in the summer.

It's up in the summer... 2012.

I don't want us to do any business with Spurs.  A nightmare to deal with and they always want very high fees for their players (permanent or loan).  And I don't think we could afford the wages for most of the players they are trying to get rid of anyway.  Worried that a compromise would include a future deal for Carroll.