I know we should all rejoice in celebration but...

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone saying they wouldnt want to win this trophy must be off their fucking rocker. Wasnt even worth thinking about before this match kicked off, now im praying for a good home draw. You never know. This team has got fight and now a bit of quality.

We can dream!!

Guest malandro

The only clubs that take it seriously nowadays are crappy third rate outfits.

Recent League Cup finals

2005: Liverpool vs Chelsea

2006: Man Utd vs Wigan

2007: Arsenal vs Chelsea

2008: Chelsea vs Spurs

2009: Man Utd vs Spurs

2010: Aston Villa vs Man Utd

Some proper third rate clubs there like, none of them are anywhere near as big as we are.

Seeing as you conveniently missed it.

Just because they won it doesn’t mean they took it seriously.

Why do you want NUFC to win a trophy, Dave?

I don't mind Hughton playing the second XI in the competition, I expected that team tonight (although I had Kadar in for Coloccini). I think we should continue to do so.

It makes the wins even more special for me, and it's keeping fringe players involved at a high level of competition, which is always good, while also keeping our first team as fresh as possible for what is a gruelling league campaign.

Is this even the point of the thread? Apologies if not.

Guest malandro

Winning things is generally the idea behind the concept of sport.

But football is more than a sport.

It’s a very simple question I’m asking; even some of the retards participating in this thread should be able to understand it. Yet nobody is prepared to give a straight answer to a straight question.

It’s a very simple question I’m asking; even some of the retards participating in this thread should be able to understand it. Yet nobody is prepared to give a straight answer to a straight question.

The club ultimately exists to win things. The supporters want the club to win things because that's the point of the club.

Is this a trick question?

Guest malandro

Its a very simple question Im asking; even some of the retards participating in this thread should be able to understand it. Yet nobody is prepared to give a straight answer to a straight question.

The club ultimately exists to win things. The supporters want the club to win things because that's the point of the club.

Is this a trick question?

If that was true the last forty years of the club’s history have been pointless. Every match you’ve been to, every song that has been sung, every goal that has been scored – all meaningless.

Ok. Breathe.

The club that wins the League Cup qualifies for Europe. No? So, yes I want to see NUFC win the Cup. Winning the Cup, competing in Europe is a good thing no? More football. Makes it easier to attract and keep talent?

What is difficult to understand?

having not won anything for so long that fact hangs round our neck like a millstone, winning something, even the league cup, would have a transformational effect on the way we see ourselves as a club, not just the perennial underachievers who always fall at the last hurdle. no more 'you've never won fuck all" (sic) chants. not to mention entry into europe.

madness to turn your nose up at that.

Guest malandro

having not won anything for so long that fact hangs round our neck like a millstone, winning something, even the league cup, would have a transformational effect on the way we see ourselves as a club, not just the perennial underachievers who always fall at the last hurdle. no more 'you've never won f*** all" (sic) chants. not to mention entry into europe.

madness to turn your nose up at that.

Did Boro winning the LC transform how you see them as a club?

Far too much is made of our trophyless streak. If it’s become a millstone round our neck it’s because we’ve let the media blow it out of all proportion. There’s not many clubs in the UK that have won more than NUFC and the club is about a whole lot more than trophies in cabinets. If it wasn’t we’d have crumbled away to nothing over the last four decades. We’ve stayed united because NUFC is underpinned by a sense of pride in who we are, because there’s a relationship between the city and NUFC very few clubs enjoy. Other supporters sing you’ve never won fuck all because they envy what we do have, and that’s something that can’t be bought.

Winning the League is an achievement to be proud of. Winning the FA Cup still carries a modicum of prestige, but the LC has become a joke. Winning something would nice but it’s not the be all and end all. Being desperate to win anything just for the sake of winning something is a very sad way of thinking about NUFC.

If the LC comes our way so be it. There’s some money to be made, but anyone who thinks it’s worth winning for any other reason should ask themselves what that reason is. 

Guest malandro

Trophies rule. Being able to say that you're better than any other f***er than entered the competition is the whole point of this "sport" thing.

But the LC doesn’t say that. It doesn’t say anything at all.

In fact fuck it. I've absolutely no idea what you're on about. :lol:

His point seems to be Football is about more then winning trophies, so we shouldn't want to win one, what kind of logic is that?  :dowie:

Yes Malandro Football is about much more then winning trophies, but winning trophies is also part of Football and its a nice part, so the better question for you is why the fuck wouldn't we want to add another trophy to the clubs history?

The LC adds to the prestige and history of a club. A trophy is the most tangible demonstration of it. Yes, there are other stuff, but there's no most basic and immediate demonstration of excellence in this sport than producing trophies. It just says that you were top dog that year, simple as that. Not Chelsea, not ManU, not Arsenal, Newcastle United won it.