Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

Newcastle to trot play the media has jumped by passes on Carrol who was often isolated

when you have players like barton Tioté Ben Arfa to the games

thing we saw against Chelsea

why Hughton has attempted to ensure the result when he should have returned to another offensive player

stoke play very low before the release of Ben Arfa and was not dangerous

sorry Google translation  :blush:

My English teacher was too good not to focus "woman" :smitten:

Guest BEN BEN BEN ARFA

I love google translations. Keep it up.

;D

next time I post in french and you translate

time that I perfected in English

My Tuppence:

Colo did well, gotten beaten to a header that hit the post but he's never going to win those, overall i thought he did well/

Williamson gotten beaten to often by Jones for flick ons. They didn't dop much with them but i expected MW to be more dominant in the air tbh.

Perch, did alright. Kept Etherington quiet mostly, unlucky for OG, happens to everyone at some point.

Routledge seems to not have the best 1st touch and that limits his options when he gets the ball. Also seemed a bit in his shell. Seemed to lack ideas as to how to get himself into the game.

Tiote, did ok. Would have left him on so Barton could have kept going forward.

Barton, tried. Looking for decent passes down the channels, trouble was he didn't have much movement in front of him.

Barfa, ok. If he was injured then right to sub him otherwise should have left him on and pushed him upfront. We needed some quick feet in their box.

Nolan. Was no better than their players. He's good with the 2nd ball (i think the only thing he's good at) but as we weren't even winning the 1st ball i wasn't sure what he was offering.

Carroll, too static. We needed a player with quick feet and someone to make little runs into the channels.

We needed someone upfront to start pulling their back 4 around and that never happened. If we'd have moved them about we could have found spaces to shoot. Routledge never really turned their LB, in fact we rarely got in behind them. Their defence was more often that not facing out, that makes it easier for them to head it clear. We could have played through the middle if we have smarter players making little runs, splitting the CB and FB. After about 60 mins i thought we should try Ameobi, at least he may have drawn a foul or a penalty. We were too predictable.

I can't believe we are not playing 4 4 2 at home.  Carroll and Ameobi up front with Ben Arfa in the hole

I would play:

Krul

Raylor   Campbell  Colo    Jose

Tiote

Barton        Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll       Ameobi

If that doesn't work we at least have the option of bringing on Routledge to run at the full back when he is tired.  I also think we need Campbell because he won't allow the opposition to bully him, and he is a presence in the opposition penalty area at corners, free kicks etc.

Not a bad line-up at all...

I can't believe we are not playing 4 4 2 at home.  Carroll and Ameobi up front with Ben Arfa in the hole

I would play:

Krul

Raylor   Campbell  Colo    Jose

Tiote

Barton        Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll       Ameobi

If that doesn't work we at least have the option of bringing on Routledge to run at the full back when he is tired.  I also think we need Campbell because he won't allow the opposition to bully him, and he is a presence in the opposition penalty area at corners, free kicks etc.

Not a bad line-up at all...

Right side is offering little or nothing there like. Barton will float inside as its his natural position which is turn will leave R.Taylor exposed which we can't do due to his inferior defending techniques and lack of pace.

Guest neesy111

Would of people rather have beaten Blackpool and Stoke at home than Villa and Everton?

I would say Yes, while winning in 3 points, taking it against rival clubs in the league means it's bit more valuable.

Would of people rather have beaten Blackpool and Stoke at home than Villa and Everton?

I would say Yes, while winning in 3 points, taking it against rival clubs in the league means it's bit more valuable.

I wouldn't, but I can see why people would... it fits into all the cliches about home record and beating the teams around you.

We've shown we can compete with anyone, that's something Hughton can use. We could also easily have beaten Blackpool and drawn with Stoke on another day.

We're in a decent position in the table, no need to panic at this point. There are warning signs with selection and subs, but Hughton still has time to correct them.

Guest neesy111

I wouldn't, but I can see why people would... it fits into all the cliches about home record and beating the teams around you.

We've shown we can compete with anyone, that's something Hughton can use. We could also easily have beaten Blackpool and drawn with Stoke on another day.

We're in a decent position in the table, no need to panic at this point. There are warning signs with selection and subs, but Hughton still has time to correct them.

The old football cliche is true, you are only as good as your last game.

Our attack was almost totally ineffective yesterday. Nolan has to go. CH has to be more ruthless like Keegan realising David Kelly did well to get us out of the chamionship but ditching him because we clearly needed better quality once in the Premiership and purchased Beardsley and Cole.

CH has Ben arfa he clearly needs to partner him with Carroll/Ameobi as Nolan provides us with next to nothing and crucially has no pace and we absolutely can't drop one of our best players in Jonas to accomodate the likes of Nolan.

V citeh try:

Krul

Perch     Willy         Colo            Jose

Routledge   Barton   Tiote     Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll/Ameobi       

Soderberg

Campbell

Raylor

Guthrie (if fit) Smith otherwise

Nolan

Ranger

Ameobi

Even Partnering Shola and Carroll could be a good idea against weaker CB's.

I hope we don't implode before CH realises he needs to drop Nolan

Guest neesy111

Can you rephrase the question?

Would of people rather have got 6 points off Blackpool and Stoke, than the 6 gathered against Villa and Everton?

HAPPY NOW

Would of people rather have got 6 points off Blackpool and Stoke, than the 6 gathered against Villa and Everton?

HAPPY NOW

Have man have, plus 'Would people rather have'....

HAPPY NOW

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest neesy111

HAPPY NOW

'Would people rather have taken', is that acceptable....

Edit: Would have people actually preferred to have taken.....

I hate the way Stoke go about winning football matches. Can't remember seeing them score a goal which wasn't a header or a bundled effort into the net after a goal mouth scramble. Fair play it works for them but they're just the footballing equivilent of people spamming grenades and rocket launchers on Modern Warfare 2.

:lol:

HAPPY NOW

It was that perfect.

Guest neesy111

HAPPY NOW

It was that perfect.

I'm useless.

In regard to your eventual question Neesy: I'm not sure. I'd probably take Villa & Everton as it shows we can beat anyone on our day, but losing to BP & Stoke has shown we're a soft touch at home, that we are very much beatable and have given valuable points to our rivals, and it's that last part which sticks a bit.

Difficult to be sure which i'd rather have.  :undecided:

We have NOT shown that we can 'compete with anyone'...we lost at SJP to two sides that most people would have bet on us beating at home.

We were lucky to hit on a Villa side in the middle of a management change(remember NUFC at OT after Allardyce was fired ?) and I reckon they would 'do' us now...

Everton have had a bad start and were without Tim Cahill when we played them.

As for Hughton 'using' something, how about using his brain(and b---s)and dropping Nolan when he is not contributing to the side ?

Will you still say we have proved we can compete with anyone if we lose at home to the Mackems ?