Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

Can I just say that I hate Stoke?

Never seen a more anti-football team in all my life.  All they want to do is take throw-ins.  All the time.

I recommend you don't watch Blackburn at any point this season.

I've only seen Blackburn once this season (against Arsenal), and they were nowhere as horrible as Stoke were today. At least Blackburn were playing the right game instead of Stoke's rendition of Aussie rules football.

A lack of a strike partner for Carroll (or Ameobi) is starting to shine through.

I would have been tempted to start either Ameobi or Loven up top with Carroll instead of Nolan. We knew beforehand that we were capable of handling their midfield and the aerial dominance the have at the back, so why not stick Shola up there as well? Plus, he's in good scoring form. Or even Lovenkrands, who adds a bit of pace and movement to our game. If he was playing on the shoulder of Shawcross or Huth then it would have given us more room up the pitch.

I'm fucking raging we've actually lost this. Sickening stuff.

Should have won, we will win more than we lose at home this season, I read nothing into this or the blackpool result, yes we should have won both but we didn't if this keeps happening fair play but Delap seems to take his throw ins from where he fancies I've noticed.

So who exactly should we now expect to beat at home? Because quite frankly we've got a hell of a lot of work to do to make this a tough place to come to.

What's so annoying is that Stoke were bloody awful in the first half. We should have been fired up after half time to come out all guns blazing to get the second goal. Hughtons cowardice on the day cost us dear.

Our lack of a Plan B was what killed us today.  Stoke beat us to almost every ball in the air, or where we did win a header it was inconsequential.  When we played football on the deck they had nothing to counter us other than backing off some more, why we continued to pump balls up in the air even when it was clear that it wasn't working is beyond me.

The best crosses for us today (other than the pen which the keeper would have claimed easily even if Carroll hadn't been fouled) were all below head height where Stoke's heading & physical wasn't as effective.

That being the case, Hughton's subs were even more inexplicable.  Taking off Ben Arfa who was forcing them back all the time on the floor for a winger (who is notorious for his bad crossing) to cross more balls into the box for Stoke to defend with ease & taking off Tioté for Ameobi to help fail to win a header where it mattered.

I don't think Nolan should play at home, he looks far too complacent and is dead weight for the most part.  The comparison to last week when he was actually quite effective away from home is bizarre.

If we are to look for positives from today.. Barton seems to be finding form  at times his range of passing was superb.

Tiote looks made for this league he was again brilliant.

We can get the ball down and play football, we can keep the ball well.

I am not worried at all even after losing two home games to poor sides,

I will start to worry if Hughton does not start to learn from his mistakes.

You're at the wong end of the scale with that one.

Man, what a fucking annoying result. Really pissed off.

Daves little outbursts post match :lol:

Could only see one winner at ahlf time- what the fuck happened?

and how can we play with such spirit against chelsea, then crash and burn against Stoke shit city.

Very irritating result. I could put Blackpool down as "one of those days"'but today we just pissed a good three points up the wall. What's more annoying is it negates the fantastic result and performance at Everton.

Barton.

This.  He went down under a pretty hard challenge when we were making some good movement and then he got back up after a little while and played on.

Pulis needs to shut his fucking trap.

Agree, he's a jumped-up little prick and his team are fucking rank.

Barton.

This.  He went down under a pretty hard challenge when we were making some good movement and then he got back up after a little while and played on.

Pulis needs to shut his fucking trap.

Agree, he's a jumped-up little prick and his team are fucking rank.

Plus he looks fucking shit if you take off his hat and glasses.