Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

The lesson should be dont have Carroll marking the oppositions fowards. Hes good at heading, not so much at staying with a man.

Shoulda been williamson on Jones everytime. Perch on Huth is another strange one. Shoulda kept tiote on/campbell played etc.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Dislocated shoulder I think.

Was odd like, looked like nothing from the Gallowgate end.

Looked like nothing on the replays too. Not much contact and didn't seem to land on it with much force at all. Must have hit exactly the wrong spot.

not much contact?

was right in front of us and looked like no contact at all.

They scored from that free kick as well, didn't they?

Hit the angle I think.

Not doing very well at remembering this game so far.  :lol: :doh:

Dislocated shoulder I think.

Was odd like, looked like nothing from the Gallowgate end.

Looked like nothing on the replays too. Not much contact and didn't seem to land on it with much force at all. Must have hit exactly the wrong spot.

not much contact?

was right in front of us and looked like no contact at all.

They scored from that free kick as well, didn't they?

Aye Huth heading down for Jones

The lesson should be dont have Carroll marking the oppositions fowards. Hes good at heading, not so much at staying with a man.

Shoulda been williamson on Jones everytime. Perch on Huth is another strange one. Shoulda kept tiote on/campbell played etc.

I don't think putting Carroll on Jones was a bad idea, it just turned out that way in hindsight. He should do better next time anyway.

We didn't deserve to lose, but I suppose we didn't take sufficient advantage during the period when we were dominant. With Carroll and Nolan, we have a slow strikeforce, so although we were good at getting the ball into the final third, we didn't look very sharp from there on in. We really need a pacey striker whose name isn't Lovenkrands.

We were always going to have trouble with their aerial threat and that's how it proved. Perch does look vulnerable in the air, and I do think there was a case for picking Campbell and putting Williamson at RB. I don't think Krul should be blamed for either goal.

The Ben Arfa sub made sense because he'd done a lot of running in the first half, and had drifted out of the game. Perhaps he needs to pace himself more.

I wasn't expecting Tiote to be subbed, but presumably Hughton thought that, of the two, Nolan was the player more likely to get a goal.

Barton played really well. He's having a great season.

The big issue in attack was the lack of support in the box. Ben Arfa in the first half and Routledge in the second but the ball into some decent areas but there was no fucker there. Not sure where Carroll disappeared to in the second half.

When either winger breaks fast, Nolan just can't catch up to get into the box.

I don't think putting Carroll on Jones was a bad idea, it just turned out that way in hindsight. He should do better next time anyway.

The original idea isnt bad no, but he hit the bar with Carroll marking him seconds earlier, should have switched it up then.

He pulled off carroll for the equaliser to easily.

The big issue in attack was the lack of support in the box. Ben Arfa in the first half and Routledge in the second but the ball into some decent areas but there was no f***er there. Not sure where Carroll disappeared to in the second half.

He certianly provided more of a presence than Carroll did late on.

The big issue in attack was the lack of support in the box. Ben Arfa in the first half and Routledge in the second but the ball into some decent areas but there was no f***er there. Not sure where Carroll disappeared to in the second half.

This...we need an extra striker when we are playing at home..Nolans too fucked to keep up

Sorry shitty but i couldnt resist  :joker:

tbf to Perch, if he had left the ball, Huth would have headed it in anyway.

That's no excuse for why he didn't just head it away like.

He tried to. It all stemmed from him losing his man in the first place though and having to react to be being out of position thus meaning he ended up diving towards his own goal. Should never have happened.

I think today's starting line-up is good to go with away from home (maybe switch Perch and Routledge for "whoever" and Jonas), but playing at home, especially against a side of Stokes nature, we have to get more bodies into the box which is never going to happen with Nolan sitting behind Carroll. Pull him out of the side and let Jonas-Ben Arfa-Routledge do some damage and create space for each other.

Like someone else said, Colo for captain every day of the week. He's on top, top form as well, our best player today.

Against this horrendous bunch, I would have just about taken a point but to lose it after being a goal up is plain naive all round.

We can't underestimate how important the run of home games v Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan and Sunderland. There some of the more winnable games in the league and should have been targetting at least 7/12 points. I think we really have to get 6 from Wigan and the  tramps. Failure to do so will come back and haunt us.