Newcastle United 1 - 2 Stoke City - 26/09/10 - post match reaction from page 31

Dave

Still very frustrated at the result, but I've calmed down "enough" to give some proper response.

Tiote should never have been subbed. He was vital in our defensive play, which to some extent "blocked" Stoke's attacking play.

Ben Arfa should not have been replaced. Yes, he did not get as much space as he did during the Everton game, nor did he play as well either. But he's our creative force. He's got pace and can dribble.

Stoke made him more or less invisible during the game , but they had to put in an effort to mark him out. Replacing Ben Arfa just invited Stoke into the game again. Imo Hughton should have replaced the likes of Nolan or Barton instead. We's been better of with Jonas, Løvenkrands and Ameobi, switching to a 442 as "hoofing" the ball up front clearly does not work very well.

The likes of Løvenkrands and Jonas is exactly the type of players we should bring on around 60th/70th minute to spark the match ---> pace.

Well, if Perch plays the next game questions have to be asked to Chris Hughton. Perch has been our worst player in every game we've played this season yet he keeps starting him. Why? He's been utter garbage!

Raylor should be at right back and although he isn't the best right back, he is certainly no worse than Perch and that's a fact!

Perch was not at fault for this loss, he did all he could and it would have been a goal anyway had he left that ball…

Carrol was much more at fault on the first goal, given that he followed the ball thinking he could get to it (impossible!) doing his “superman” act. If he had stayed on his man (Jones), they wouldn’t have got that easy header…

Perch was not at fault for this loss, he did all he could and it would have been a goal anyway had he left that ball

He'd already lost Huth though which forced him into having to make a rash decision - it should never have happened. Especially as it came direct from the set piece.

He was the first man aswell, and Huth wasn't exactly all over him (he wasn't even touching infact). Was an awful own goal to concede to be honest, hope he's learned from it as opposed to having his confidence battered.

Indeed there should've been somebody in the "Shearer position" front post to stop it even getting to Perch. Awful defending all round.

Nolan was in that position iirc.

Edit: Watched again and he was, ball flew a few feet over his head so little he could have done.

My mistake although perhaps on looking at it he was too far forward in the first place. Anyway whats done is done, the important thing will be ensuring it doesn't happen again.

Somehow i'm more worried about beating Villa and Everton and losing to Blackpool and Stoke than if it was the other way around. It seems like we have a problem when we need to create the game and get a result.

And I still wonder how on earth you can have Perch marking Huth on a corner. What's next, Routledge marking Crouch?

after re-watching the game (all be it i fast forwarded some bits) a couple of other things i remembered from the game.

enriques lack of tactical awareness when ben arfa went on the middle taking 3 or 4 stoke players with him leaving us with the ball and enrique having 40 yds of open grass in front of him but he decided to remain as a solid back 4, he could easily have ventured 15/20yds forward without giving anything away defensivly and also ibe in a much more threatening position to receive the ball or even just to help stretch them defensivly. this happened particularly in the first half.

when routledge went on those runs from half way/touch line and he had to gert past 3 or 4 players ALL our forwards and midfield stood still as if in admiration, not one made a move in support or taking a risk incase he brakes the defence.

He was the first man aswell, and Huth wasn't exactly all over him (he wasn't even touching infact). Was an awful own goal to concede to be honest, hope he's learned from it as opposed to having his confidence battered.

Indeed there should've been somebody in the "Shearer position" front post to stop it even getting to Perch. Awful defending all round.

i've been saying that since shearer retired.