Man City 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 03/10/10 - post match reaction from page 33

Dave

Guest Chris P

City have Italianed the match since it went to 2-1 like. Just closed it out.

and payed the ref off- used to believe this happend abroad and not in this country- its hear now like. RIP football.

FUCKING CHEATING BASTARD.

I've been thinking the same all season. Henry finally gets sent off yesterday after at least three stonewall red cards, including breaking Zamoras leg . The penalties awarded against us have been weak apart from maybe one but when we get a nailed on shout for a pen it's waved on. The Nolan one for a blatant starter for 10.

Summits not right, it stinks to me

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

and payed the ref off- used to believe this happend abroad and not in this country- its hear now like. RIP football.

I've been thinking the same all season. Henry finally gets sent off yesterday after at least three stonewall red cards, including breaking Zamoras leg . The penalties awarded against us have been weak apart from maybe one but when we get a nailed on shout for a pen it's waved on. The Nolan one for a blatant starter for 10.

I'm sure it'll be pinned on Ashley. Probably didn't pay the Secret Golden Handshake Fee.

Guest Ridzuan

I thought the team actually played quite well to be honest. Its really unfortunate as to what happened to Ben Arfa. Hopefully its not too serious. But we didnt let his withdrawal affect our play too much. Jonas had a good game and our defence did OK too. It wasnt a penalty in the first place, but when Shola was brought down, that was another story all together. We deserved to get something from this match but thats how cruel football can be sometimes.

Guest Chris P

I'm sure it'll be pinned on Ashley. Probably didn't pay the Secret Golden Handshake Fee.

Aye i know. the problem is the lads not ITK enough yet

I don't know what the hell Ronaldo is smoking, our tactics couldn't have been more spot on. We pressured high, defended well, controlled possession, nullified their midfield and should have won this match if the ref wasn't a corrupt cunt.

This.

Only player who didn't perform was Nolan imho.

Agreed.

That reffing display wasn't crap today, it was corrupt. It happens all over the world, why not here? I wish we had some decent investigative journalists who would work for their money. But they're probably too scared of rocking the boat.

These really dangerous players need to be taken in hand tbh. it's really destroying the game. Part of the problem is the gulf of class between the top 6 and the rest, a lot of the other sides go out to spoil and be brutal in the tackle.

I'm proud of the lads today. we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves.

When Ben Arfa went down I feared the worst, I thought we were going to capitulate, and fair play, we didn't. It's a horrendous shame about HBA, because he really can make a difference in any game. Jonas was great today, must start next game. Perch was solid enough, and then my spirits dropped when Colo went off, but Campbell was good.

I've seen people blame our players for Johnson's goal, I personally put it down to Johnson's work. He's a good player, he turned our guys inside out and got an exceptional strike on the ball, I couldn't argue with that goal at all personally. We need to get out of this idea that every goal we concede is our fault. We're playing a good team here in Man City, they've got good players.

Although the ref was against us from the start. How he didn't consider the Ben Arfa challenge a foul is beyond me. I jumped up the instant he went down, didn't look right, and lo and behold, Ben Arfa's out for at least a few months. Atkinson wasn't it? Shocking game for him.

But to reiterate, I'm proud of the lads today.

Guest Chris P

I thought Shola battled well on his own, given his awful lack of support. I know Nolan was playing deeper, but still. :thdn:

I thought Shola had a good game as well. Held it up well.

Guest BooBoo

Shocking decisions by the ref cost us a deserved point. All overshadowed by the horrendous injury to Ben Arfa, who we'll be lucky to see again play for us.

All the lads are worthy of praise today other than Nolan who yet again brought nothing to the party. Felt sorry for Shola who battled manfully without a trace of support.

Guest BooBoo

Have to say the Toon charvas were out in force today. Mortal drunk by luchtime, topless and semi racist chanting.

Embarassing.

I don't know what the hell Ronaldo is smoking, our tactics couldn't have been more spot on. We pressured high, defended well, controlled possession, nullified their midfield and should have won this match if the ref wasn't a corrupt cunt.

This.

Only player who didn't perform was Nolan imho.

Agreed.

Thought Barton had a poor game today too, gave the ball away far too much in the middle. You just can't do that against teams like Man City.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9040924.stm

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton:

"We set the team up to play against their quality but key decisions went against us.

"My first impression was that it [the Tevez incident] was not a penalty, and that has not changed. The touch [by Mike Willamson] on the ball was outside the penalty box, and that was confirmed when we saw the replay at half-time. It was a dreadful decision on the same side as the linesman.

"Ameobi had his standing foot taken away from him, Lescott loses his footing, and it's an absolute penalty.

"We're pushing to get an equaliser and I can't fault the attitude of the players but we need things to go for us - and those two dreadful decisions have gone against us."

I thought the hand slapping by Man City players to De Jong after the tackle on Ben Arfa was shocking.

A fair indication that nobbling HBA was their top priority at the start of the game. No one has been able to get close to him in his previous starts, it was always a fair bet that other teams would try and take him out by other means.

Yeah. It was what in American football would be called 'unnecessary roughness.' I presume he wasn't out to nobble the player, but I think it was designed to hurt and put him off.

It was a similar tackle to the one that got Barton sent off against Liverpool, in that he allowed his trailing leg to follow through. De Jong was a bit more subtle.

I thought the hand slapping by Man City players to De Jong after the tackle on Ben Arfa was shocking.

A fair indication that nobbling HBA was their top priority at the start of the game. No one has been able to get close to him in his previous starts, it was always a fair bet that other teams would try and take him out by other means.

Yeah. It was what in American football would be called 'unnecessary roughness.' I presume he wasn't out to nobble the player, but I think it was designed to hurt and put him off.

It was a similar tackle to the one that got Barton sent off against Liverpool, in that he allowed his trailing leg to follow through. De Jong was a bit more subtle.

I disagree that it wasn't designed to nobble him. De Jong went in to hurt Ben Arfa, as other thugs do to players week in week out.

Not for one moment saying he tried to break his leg, but the intention was to put the player out of the game early on.

Shouuld be banned for the length of Ben Arfa's injury lay-off - same goes for the likes of Shawcross, Henry, or any other player who seriously injures a player through a foul challenge

Krul's performance was a big plus today. He looked like he'd arrived. He showed composure and confidence, which is so crucial for a keeper. Not to mention some decent stops.

The other big plus was team spirit. It felt like Ben Arfa's injury bonded the team together. If we keep showing that, we should be all right.

I disagree that it wasn't designed to nobble him. De Jong went in to hurt Ben Arfa, as other thugs do to players week in week out.

Not for one moment saying he tried to break his leg, but the intention was to put the player out of the game early on.

Shouuld be banned for the length of Ben Arfa's injury lay-off - same goes for the likes of Shawcross, Henry, or any other player who seriously injures a player through a foul challenge

If the tackle had been made by some no-name British player for a mid-table team the media would be calling for his head right now but since the tackle was by an (alleged) cultured international footballer playing for a title-chasing club there's almost no chance that there will be any action.