The season so far

beardsleymagic

Guest DarkStormCrow

I dont post to often, I been a member here since 05, just after I started supporting Newcastle, I visit the site here every day to get my NUFC news and follow the games here on matchday.

I was optimistic that we could stay up this year, I had us down for the following points through the first  7 games

Man U  figured this would be a loss at best 0 pts

Aston Villa figured for a draw at best      1 pt

Wolves  figured for a win                   3 pts

Blackpool  figured for a win                3 pts

Everton figured for a draw at best          1 pt

Stoke  figured for a win                    3 pts

Man City figured for a loss                 0 pts

So for me I was hoping for between 9 and 11 pts at this point. The only matches I have been able to watch in full this season was the Man U match was glad we didnt get beaten worse than we were and the Stoke match , was very disappointeed in the second half we played.

I like Chris Houghton as manager I may not agree with everything he does but I feel he has a level head and cares fore his players and the club. In short he is not bigger than the club, like to me it seemed Souness, Allerdyce, and Keegan were. I think he is a good fit and needs to be given a full season wether we stay up or not.

I felt this season would be a tough one, and was really excited about the Ben Arfa and Tiote signings, yesterday was really devastating with Ben Arfa going down, I hope he has a quick recovery comes back in good form and we are able to sign him.

I wasnt expecting to win the league but I thought a finish in 10-13th place was very possible for us. Now I dont have a clue whats going to happen I think we should be able to stay up but the way decisions are going against us this season already all I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

We have to beat Wigan any other result is not an option now gonna be a long ugly season if we dont.

I hate Manchester City more than I hate Sunderland now.

Guest firetotheworks

Remember the season we got relegated? Thought so.

Well that season, other teams around us were absolutely shit, and did almost everything to help us grasp the nettle and get out of trouble. However we had no soul, commitment, desire, skill or know-how.

This season feels like almost the opposite of that.

My main worry is where the goals will come from because whilst I rate Carroll, he needs a partner and Ben Arfa is out for ages.

Midfield and defence I don't think we're that bad but as ever with us, injuries will play a part. We just have to hope we get no more injuries to key players.

Overall, the performances are better than I expected. The results have been a bit topsy turvy, but that's partly down to bad luck and partly down to the aforementioned striker problem.

I've seen enough from the performances to be positive, but we can't afford more injuries. January time Ashley needs to go for a striker. Move on Xisco and Best and use the wages to bring a forward in. Take the hit on the transfer fee, a decent striker alongside Carroll will make a big difference in those home games where we should be playing with 2 up front (a lesson Hughton has hopefully learnt by now).

This is my position as well. While the players did themselves proud yesterday in their response to the setbacks it's going to take more than good spirit to keep us in this division. The lack of goals from forwards (and I include wide players in that) is a worry. Can't argue with the effort though and hopefully it will be enough to keep us up.

We are 2 points ahead of schedule in my predicted 40 point season.

I'm not slitting my wrists either, the only team that's really outplayed us is ManU but we are about 2 or 3 points away from where we could have been on merit (controversy alert - other than a few shyte spells, and most teams have those, I don't think we've been too crap this season). It's not easy keeping your spirits up after games like Sunday where imo we did a good job in a difficult place but got nothing other than a decent goal difference - but its situations like this where managers earn their corn.

I find it amazing how short peoples memories are. Ben Arfa has only played in like 2 and a half games for us, and whilst I'm sure we can all agree he is a class act and probably worth a gamble on buying, we haven't done that much better with him in the team yet as far as results go. On the other hand - I love the kid like, he is a class act.

Anyhoo, with regards to the actual games;

ManUre - Didn't expect nowt, didn't get nowt, outplayed and outclassed...but showed we weren't a push over.

Aston Villa - Given a debatable penalty, missed thankfully and changed the game. We deserved to win. Revenge was sweet.

Wolves - Apparently played well enough to win, got a decision given in our favour which shouldn't, could argue our luck as far as decisions go is balanced at this stage.

Blackpool - Played well enough to get a result, 'keeper had a mint game, Blackpool stuck it out and played well enough to also deserve their points, you have those days.

Everton - Should've had Fallaini sent off and possibly Beckford and we should have been given a blatant penalty. Outstanding performance and deserved our points.

Stoke - Played them off the park as far as football goes, but so will the other 18 teams in the division. Stoke are good at what they do and that's how they finish where they do. We were shocking second half though, as contradictory as it sounds.

Man City - Robbed. Deserved a point at least, and then with the correct decisions we would have certainly won. Tevez could have been sent off, De Jong could have, Toure (not sure which or if it was both) could have went, Ben Arfa crippled and little to take from the game in the end.

Let us not forget though that in the League Cup, with a 'second string' of 'fringe players', we have defeated Accrington Stanley in a tough game and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. We may be the first and last team to score 4 goals there for some time, and we can be proud of what we've achieved thus far both in the league and cup.

Keep going the way we are and if the fans keep getting behind the team instead of whinging and f***ing off early, then that togetherness and determination will turn into points, I have no doubt.

Chrissy Hughtons Black and White Army!

Basically, there's only been one game where we've been outplayed, and that was Man U away.

We're a newly promoted side, remember, so it was never going to be easy. But we've improved so much over the last year, and are continuing to improve.

Remember the season we got relegated? Thought so.

Well that season, other teams around us were absolutely shit, and did almost everything to help us grasp the nettle and get out of trouble. However we had no soul, commitment, desire, skill or know-how.

This season feels like almost the opposite of that.

That sums up my feelings so far this season. the thing that's killing me is the 2 teams we thought were nailed on to be already slipping away are doing fantastic. This would be a lot less nerve-racking if they were up against it.

But I've still got confidence, because as you say our team is the complete opposite to 08/09. The likes of Blackpool and West Brom can't keep this up forever. And we've got some fucking good quality for a promoted team, we can actually play good football with an occasional good end product. We're an improved version of West Brom so to speak, when Mowbray was determined to play football 'right'.

Over the season, things will even themselves out, and I feel will get enough deserved points to make up for some of the disappointment we've faced already. With or without HBA. I felt he was the difference between being near the relegation spots and taking that step up to lower mid-table. But even still, we're very much the team at the bottom I feel that can make that step up.

It's a cracker of a season so far, and doesn't show any signs of settling down. Hope we find our stride soon, and find out where we are at, even if it's relegation battle, at least we know and it might mean Ashley makes some moves in the winter window.

Right now though, we could finish bottom, we could finish top half, 7 games in and it should be taking shape, they say 10, but i can see the table still being the same ish in 3 games time, meaning Everton & Liverpool down the bottom and Blackpool knocking on the door of europe.

Great stuff all round, best prem season imo, just wish one or two things went our way to add to that.

Only complaint I have in terms of excitement and interest is I feel like the title's wrapped up already with Chelsea. Can't complain, they're looking immense, just don't feel like that's going to drop off. But everything else makes me think, like Toon's Taylor, that this is gonna be the most interesting season for a while

Frustrating so far. Only in the fact that we know we could be sitting in a much healthier position. Even 3 points against Blackpool would have sitting pretty on ten points.

But cant complain at the lads spirit an effort, and there has been some really nice football at times too. I really think we'll be fine because of it. I have much more faith in these lot than i did in the relegation season.

Next 3 games - HUGE.

I find it amazing how short peoples memories are. Ben Arfa has only played in like 2 and a half games for us, and whilst I'm sure we can all agree he is a class act and probably worth a gamble on buying, we haven't done that much better with him in the team yet as far as results go. On the other hand - I love the kid like, he is a class act.

Anyhoo, with regards to the actual games;

ManUre - Didn't expect nowt, didn't get nowt, outplayed and outclassed...but showed we weren't a push over.

Aston Villa - Given a debatable penalty, missed thankfully and changed the game. We deserved to win. Revenge was sweet.

Wolves - Apparently played well enough to win, got a decision given in our favour which shouldn't, could argue our luck as far as decisions go is balanced at this stage.

Blackpool - Played well enough to get a result, 'keeper had a mint game, Blackpool stuck it out and played well enough to also deserve their points, you have those days.

Everton - Should've had Fallaini sent off and possibly Beckford and we should have been given a blatant penalty. Outstanding performance and deserved our points.

Stoke - Played them off the park as far as football goes, but so will the other 18 teams in the division. Stoke are good at what they do and that's how they finish where they do. We were shocking second half though, as contradictory as it sounds.

Man City - Robbed. Deserved a point at least, and then with the correct decisions we would have certainly won. Tevez could have been sent off, De Jong could have, Toure (not sure which or if it was both) could have went, Ben Arfa crippled and little to take from the game in the end.

Bias.

It's been a good season so far in terms of there being some surprise results which, unless you're on the wrong end of them, I guess neutrals want, as it makes things more exciting. However, I have little doubt that the end of season table will be a very predictable outlook. The top 8 will probably be the top 8 again (fingers crossed Liverpool really do implode).