Wayne Rooney

SEMTEX

Do we really need a statement every day about this? Getting old already.

"Manchester United can confirm that after an extensive meeting this afternoon, representatives of Wayne Rooney concluded that they felt the choice of biscuits on offer were inadequate, and did not meet their standards. A statement from our tea lady will be released at 10am tomorrow morning."

Holloway doesn't want free transfers? What's the point of a contract if at the end of it, you still own the player? Load of bollocks.

Can't believe people are making out his rant is some fantastic speech. I loved it for it's hilarity. As an actual argument it's incoherent, nonsensical drivel.

Who is making out it is some fantastic speech? It's the opposite.

Manchester United released the following statement after a day of meetings between chief executive David Gill, Sir Alex Ferguson and representatives of Wayne Rooney:

“We are aware that there is intense public and media interest on the club at the moment, but there are no developments of note to report today.

“I can confirm a number of meetings have taken place today, including with the player's representative. The outcome of those meetings will become clear in the near future.  In the meantime, fans are asked to be patient.”

Manchester United released the following statement after a day of meetings between chief executive David Gill, Sir Alex Ferguson and representatives of Wayne Rooney:

“We are aware that there is intense public and media interest on the club at the moment, but there are no developments of note to report today.

“I can confirm a number of meetings have taken place today, including with the player's representative. The outcome of those meetings will become clear in the near future.  In the meantime, fans are asked to be patient.”

:lol: Is that seriously their statement? Please tell me you're joking.

Holloway doesn't want free transfers? What's the point of a contract if at the end of it, you still own the player? Load of bollocks.

Can't believe people are making out his rant is some fantastic speech. I loved it for it's hilarity. As an actual argument it's incoherent, nonsensical drivel.

Well, for starters...

Holloway is absolutely spot on tbf.

:lol: Is that seriously their statement? Please tell me you're joking.

ATTENTION WHORZ!

Does that statement beat "Following media reports this morning the chairman wishes to make it clear that Alan Shearer has never said to him that he would knock seven bells out of anyone." for pure pointlessness? :lol:

Well, for starters...

Time to call the abolitionists in I reckon, they'll set things right.

Well, for starters...

Time to call the abolitionists in I reckon, they'll set things right.

He is steaming!!!

To be honest in Spain players have been free to leave after their contracts end since the 1960s (and without the age limit of Bosman's ruling), so I don't think it's the big deal people make it out to be. It always made sense to me, to be honest.

Yes - teams just have to come to grips with the actual decrease in asset value over the life of the contract.

The problem with the Bosman ruling is that it abolished the transfer tribunal that had previously sat alongside freedom of contract. Players were not tied to a club, but the club could get some compensation from the new club that he joined. Bosman ruled that a restraint of trade.

That was when the power balance shifted decisively in favour of the player. If it hadn't gone to court, the system might have lasted, if not indefinitely, but a few years more.

Rooney's house was 'attacked' by Man United fans tonight who were holding a banner saying "sign for City and you die"

At least they haven't burned his car to a crisp and defaced his garage yet :(

Holloway's comparison of a club signing a human being to a contract and someone buying a car is truly laughable.  The player is not property, as much as Holloway wishes he was, no matter how much his wages happen to be. 

If Rooney were to rip up his knee completely and be unable to continue his career at the same level, would Manchester United renew his contract?  Of course not.  It works both ways.

Holloway is a character but he's coming across foolishly here. 

Holloway's comparison of a club signing a human being to a contract and someone buying a car is truly laughable.  The player is not property, as much as Holloway wishes he was, no matter how much his wages happen to be. 

If Rooney were to rip up his knee completely and be unable to continue his career at the same level, would Manchester United renew his contract?  Of course not.  It works both ways.

Holloway is a character but he's coming across foolishly here. 

His character means in general half the time he comes across foolish IMO. It's what makes him who he is, wears his heart on his sleeve, doesn't really script what he has to say, and sometimes it's a gem, sometimes it's complete nonsense.

The only good thing about hearing this tedious story as the main headline on the news constantly is that it has replaced Liverpool's ownership as the main headline on the news.

Still, it takes one's mind of Gideon and his vile Spending Review.

The problem with the Bosman ruling is that it abolished the transfer tribunal that had previously sat alongside freedom of contract. Players were not tied to a club, but the club could get some compensation from the new club that he joined. Bosman ruled that a restraint of trade.

That was when the power balance shifted decisively in favour of the player. If it hadn't gone to court, the system might have lasted, if not indefinitely, but a few years more.

erm wasn't that what bosman was about man?  his contract expired but his club wouldn't release his registration due to them deeming the fee offered too low so he couldn't go anywhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling

erm wasn't that what bosman was about man?  his contract expired but his club wouldn't release his registration due to them deeming the fee offered too low so he couldn't go anywhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling

There was variation throughout Europe, but in England, disputes about transfer fees at the end of a player's contract were resolved by a transfer tribunal, so in practice the player wasn't tied and the club had compensation. In Belgium, the club could just refuse to release the player's registration. I feel that getting rid of the tribunal was throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Keeping a player tied after the contract has expired is clearly wrong, and the clubs who wanted to keep that system had only themselves to blame when it went to court and things were put in the hands of lawyers. A sensible compromise was the tribunal system.