Why are we so much better away from home?

Dave

We're better at containing teams than pressing them, simple as that imo. If the attacking onus is on is, like it is at home, we just don't have it. It might improve if we stick with two men upfront, mind.

:thup: Believe it or not, we're quite good on the counter. When the pressure is off us and on the other side (like West Ham, Everton, Wolves), we tend to pull performances out of the bag.

We have to be that 'attacking side' at home, and we just don't have the legs to maintain it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

After today i am convinced that with Ben Arfa and a midfield forward line of:

Guti.......Barton...........Tiote..........Ben Arfa

.................Ameobi.......Carroll..................

we would win 50% of our away games!

:(

Tactics basically.

Nail on the head. Hughton's got the away, pressure them, tactics down. But at home he seems to try to employ the same type of tactics, give or take a couple of variations. Mix that with the pressure of the home fans getting more twitchy as the game goes on and we fail to break them down, the team falls to pieces, and the opposition takes advantage, in the way that we do when we're away.

I don't think we are better away from home... we have only beaten very very poor sides.. Villa at home they were shite.. Everton away they were shite and westham today were shocking really really poor a much better side would have slaughtered them 10-0.

Any team that has given us a game have taken points from us home or away..

We're better at containing teams than pressing them, simple as that imo. If the attacking onus is on is, like it is at home, we just don't have it. It might improve if we stick with two men upfront, mind.

:thup: Believe it or not, we're quite good on the counter. When the pressure is off us and on the other side (like West Ham, Everton, Wolves), we tend to pull performances out of the bag.

We have to be that 'attacking side' at home, and we just don't have the legs to maintain it.

This is where I think we might win it next week. I can see Sunderland going at it from the start just being caught up in the occasion, something no side's done at SJP this season, and I reckon it'll suit us down to the ground.

I thought we were poor today, still. Although, when you can play like that and still get three points you have to be doing something right. Don't think we ever got out of second gear, Shola didn't get out of neutral...

The overall standard and the second half in particular was one of the worst I have seen in a game at this level, I honestly don't recall one to match it since one of the Wigan away games... under Souness?

Anything less than a win today, based on just how bad West Ham were, and serious questions would have needed answering. Now we're sitting 9th with two exciting home games on the way... can't complain really.

I thought we were poor today, still. Although, when you can play like that and still get three points you have to be doing something right. Don't think we ever got out of second gear, Shola didn't get out of neutral...

The overall standard and the second half in particular was one of the worst I have seen in a game at this level, I honestly don't recall one to match it since one of the Wigan away games... under Souness?

Anything less than a win today, based on just how bad West Ham were, and serious questions would have needed answering. Now we're sitting 9th with two exciting home games on the way... can't complain really.

We were poor but they thank god were worse.. we are not good and people need to start seeing this.. w ehave only beaten very poor sides. Its a worry how bad we are really home and away.

I would agree with what Colocho is saying.

I've found we've often played our best football away from Goodison. The onus is initially on the home team to attack and you tend to have more space when you get the ball, as opposed to at home when the opposition will often just look to make it hard for you, close down space etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We can afford to sit back away. At home, there's a pressure on us to go and get points- Especially against the likes of Blackpool, Stoke, Blackburn... We have no alternate game plan at home.

Its pretty simple in that we simply dont have the creative players to open up a defensive minded side. At SJP this season, i've seen one effective defence splitting ball all season- Xisco v Villa for Carroll's third.

While it's true we struggle to break teams down people seem to have overlooked that our defeat today was down to two glaring defensive errors. Defend like we did at Arsenal and we've got another three points in the bag.

:thup: