How it feels to be a toon fan right now...

AyeDubbleYoo

I think it feels pretty good.

I know I'm posting this after a win, but I think for the first time in ages I'm starting to remember what it's like to support a team you can really get behind.

For a while we've all been less than proud to be Newcastle fans, putting up with all sorts of embarrassing shit from Ashley and Shepherd before him. Not to mention the sorry excuse for a squad that took us down to the Championship.

The Sports Direct signs are a bit of a blip, and we all know it could go wrong at any time with Mike, but just thought it was worth saying that it's great to be a fan of a "group of lads" that seem to really care about their game... from Hughton down.

Even the players I don't rate that much (step forward Kevin) are decent characters who are doing their best.

:indi:

From the outside, there seems to be much more of a team spirit within the camp. That not only has to help the team, but also helps to lift the spirit of the fans - seeing that their team is actually a team.

Guest firetotheworks

In terms of the skill, commitment, passing, intent, and hard work I think we're the best we've been since under SBR, and comfortably so. The problem is up front though, I like Carroll, but he can't be relied upon yet at all, and I worry where the goals will come from. Aside from our right side, and Nolan when he's doing nowt we have a team that I like a lot.

Guest neesy111

Better than it's been any time since the Sir Bob era.

Despite the blips, the momentum is in the right direction.

Really!  Not even the run to the 7th place under Roeder when we had a very impressive end of season form.

Guest firetotheworks

Really!  Not even the run to the 7th place under Roeder when we had a very impressive end of season form.

That wasn't as clear cut in quality as our quality this time has been. Our run to 7th was partly down to Bolton fucking up too.

That wasn't as clear cut in quality as our quality this time has been. Our run to 7th was partly down to Bolton fucking up too.

Yep. It was largely the effect of there being no Souness, injuries starting to clear up, Bolton fucking up, and us playing quite a few disinterested teams who had little to play for (and that shit Chelsea side on the final day).

Guest neesy111

One result doesn't make a season sadly, very good performance but it was imo against the worst side I've seen for sometime in the premiership.

I'm waiting to reserve judgment until Xmas on how we are going to pan out.

Guest firetotheworks

One result doesn't make a season sadly, very good performance but it was imo against the worst side I've seen for sometime in the premiership.

I'm waiting to reserve judgment until Xmas on how we are going to pan out.

The topic is about how it feels right now.

I would say that we've performed well, or at least to an extent in most of our matches too.

Guest neesy111

Now - I'm pretty nervous for Sunday now, West Ham result forgotten about as pre-match banter is already starting.  If we win on Wednesday it's a bonus, but i'm not expecting much from the game.

Edit - Again I've missed the point.

It's just typical toon, up and down.  Don't expect it to change.

That wasn't as clear cut in quality as our quality this time has been. Our run to 7th was partly down to Bolton f***ing up too.

Yep. It was largely the effect of there being no Souness, injuries starting to clear up, Bolton f***ing up, and us playing quite a few disinterested teams who had little to play for (and that s*** Chelsea side on the final day).

Nah, remember, we were all texting Freddy telling him to appoint Roeder full time. We were fuckin loving it back then!

Guest firetotheworks

Really! Not even the run to the 7th place under Roeder when we had a very impressive end of season form.

That wasn't as clear cut in quality as our quality this time has been. Our run to 7th was partly down to Bolton f***ing up too.

Yep. It was largely the effect of there being no Souness, injuries starting to clear up, Bolton f***ing up, and us playing quite a few disinterested teams who had little to play for (and that s*** Chelsea side on the final day).

Nah, remember, we were all texting Freddy telling him to appoint Roeder full time. We were fuckin loving it back then!

Aye, Ottmar who? Ottmar O'Neil. Christ, I've just remembered that whole thing with The Chronicle rigging their votes to say that we all wanted O'Neil, despite the vote being ridiculously weighted towards Hitzfeld.

Its up and down yes, but right now it feels good to be back in the Premier League and competing. We're inconsistent but its better than 08/09 when we were consistently shit. Last year was fun but to be fair we were facing very inferior teams almost every week, so I'm enjoying this a lot more. Fairly confident as well, as I was in conversation with my Dad (who always seems to be a good judge of football for some reason) and I said the phrase 'if we go down' he interrupted with a very firm 'they won't go down'. So that just filled me with confidence, don't know why, I just trust my Dad when it comes to football.

I promised never to take the Premiership for granted again, but its already happening. Just feels normal.

Right now, I'm bricking it for Sunday. Always hated derby day so much, even when we were a lot better than them. Have some mackem 'mates' that are amongst the very best WUMers and this is when they're in their element. A nailed on blatant 1-1 draw.

It feels to me like I can hold my head up a little bit better than was possible in the last few years.

We haven't got a great side (though they're not that bad either) but there's something, well... honest about it all at the moment. I like the manager and most of the players. It's no longer a bunch of under-performing mercenaries and I feel proud of the team in way I haven't since the days of Sir Bobby.

I think being a fan of this club is good at the minute. We have an honest, humble, hardworking manager who i feel we can be proud of. He has bought some good players, on a limited budget (aswell as Perch). I also think it's possible for us to progress, in the future with some of the lads in the academy and some decent signings from Hughton(if funded by Ashley). Aswell as that we have players who have ability in Ben Arfa, Tiote, Enrique, Carroll, Coloccini. And  to top it off i don't think we play bad football.