Arsenal 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/11/10 - post match reaction from page 35

Dave

Still totally buzzing off this. Class.

The completely unexpected wins are always special, the away end must have been rocking

Love the interviews on NUFC TV. Seperate interviews with Williamson, Carroll, and Krul and all of them said that the game plan was to go there to win the game. I can't remember the last time we've had a team with so much confidence (and balls) to go to places like Arsenal and expect to get a result.

tbf it's very easy to say that now :lol:

From a neutral on another forum

I was on the verge of tossing my last beer at the TV yesterday as time and again the Big Four Bullshit Pipers (aka SKY Sports commentary team) claimed Newcastle had 'performed a smash and grab' etc etc. It's not unusual for Sky pundits to be further off the mark than a Royal Navy Submarine Commander, but this suggestion that underdogs'steal' points at the big stadia really irks, and especially vis a vis Arsenal. The worldwide media bukkake over the gaping maw of their 'style' seems to suggest that any team that effectively nullifies it, keeps a bit of possession for themselves and creates a couple of chances is doing so by dint of factors other than their own graft and skill. Newcastle were well organised and fully deserved a win against an Arsenal side that, as so often, just walked out onto the pitch and expected the chances to come.

Guest The_Optimistic

We out done Arsenal on possession too - 51%.  I doubt that many other clubs have achieved this, if any this season?

Would people say this was a better performance than beating Villa 6-0 and mackems 5-1 at home? I can't quite decide which performance was the best :)

Yes.... I think we owned the game and had we been a bit braver we would have been looking at a much bigger scoreline.. So many times we got in behind their fullbacks but had no one in the box, I get the fear of over committing and getting caught on the break.. we stuck to the plan and won the game no gung ho shit we knew they could hurt us if we let them.

Had Keegan played like that at times we would have won the league years ago.

Would people say this was a better performance than beating Villa 6-0 and mackems 5-1 at home? I can't quite decide which performance was the best :)

The only way to enjoy those 3 performances more would be to watch them from the Playboy mansion and then change channel to watch live coverage of Simon Cowells funeral

It was a different kind of performance - we actually managed to move the ball around quite nicely, especially in the opening period, but I think we soon realised that Arsenal were very dangerous on the break and had to revert to a less gung-ho attitude.

Difficult to judge, but given the quality of the opposition (who incidentally didn't play half as bad as the media would lead us to believe!) I'd say this might be the best.

In no way are any of these last 3 results justification for putting up some woeful shit vs Blackpool, Stoke & Wigan, but I hope these wins give people some perspective on the '6 point' crap that gets reeled out every time we play a team that has the remotest chance of being relegated. I know it'd be useful to stop those teams gaining points, but what we should be concerned about at this point in the season, is NUFC putting adequate points on the board. When there are 10/15 games left, then we start checking out who is down there, and what we can take off them (or they can take off us), but before then I don't think it's worth stressing too heavily about - other than the fact that we’ve lost at home to some dogshit team.

Love the interviews on NUFC TV. Seperate interviews with Williamson, Carroll, and Krul and all of them said that the game plan was to go there to win the game. I can't remember the last time we've had a team with so much confidence (and balls) to go to places like Arsenal and expect to get a result.

To be fair, they've said it repeatedly all season that they believe all games are to be won.

To be fair, they've said it repeatedly all season that they believe all games are to be won.

Barton said it in a pre match interview as well tbf.

I love how we are pissing on peoples cornflakes.  Makes it even better when teams like Arsenal stroll on the pitch thinking they already have the game bagged.

i think this is one of the reasons we beat them

I love how we are pissing on peoples cornflakes.  Makes it even better when teams like Arsenal stroll on the pitch thinking they already have the game bagged.

Yup, they thought they were playing the league cup team we sent out.

Long may it continue.

i think this is one of the reasons we beat them

Guest The_Optimistic

We out done Arsenal on possession too - 51%.  I doubt that many other clubs have achieved this, if any this season?

Just had a look and we are only 1 of 3 teams to better them on possession in the league, home and away:

Liverpool 42% A

Blackpool 35%

Blackburn 42% A

Bolton 40%

Mackams 48% A

WBA 51%

Chelsea 52% A

Birmingham 38%

Man City 38% A

West Ham 43%

Newcastle 51%