FA Cup 3rd Round Draw - Stevenage (a) weekend of 8th January 2011

Decky

Cheers, quite fancy going, but its over £50 on the train from Leeds so might not bother.

You'll need a season ticket holder to get a ticket for it.  Will be loads wanting to go.

Was thinking that. Might be difficult to get a ticket.

People keep forgetting that we have attracted most of our fans in recent years so things that has happened in 97-98 is very distant for some.

Hmm, I'm sure we got quite a few of our fans from the Entertainers era which was before that?

Tbf im only 16, and only really started supporting us and caring about us when i was like 8-9, which was around 4 years after this Stevenage game. I was only 4 when it was being played.

That means when you were 14...

I love sex. Its Proper good. D'ya get meh??

xx

This country.

Giuseppe Grazioli,another c***.

FROM 2008:

I shocked the Toon a decade ago.. now I'm ready for replay

Kenny Dalglish never smiled, his team were dour after Kevin Keegan's medicine for thrillseekers, and Newcastle were easier to wind up than an alarm clock.

The Toon sent a highhanded delegation to inspect non-league Stevenage Borough's neat ground at Broadhall Way to make sure it was fit to stage Alan Shearer's comeback from long-term injury - and managed to get up the noses of an entire nation.

On the BBC's current affairs flagship Newsnight, Jeremy Paxman went into over-sneer, asking whether Dalglish was just a big girl's blouse for bridling at the prospect of having to play an FA Cup tie in such humble surroundings.

When the big day came, Stevenage fought heroically. Giuliano Grazioli's equaliser earned them a deserved 1-1 draw and Dalglish rivalled British Rail's excuses machine by complaining about having to play with the wrong type of ball.

Ten years on, Grazioli still smiles at the memory of a weekend when the essence of cup football was well-served by brash upstarts who proved a match for the arrogant aristocrats.

Today, as English football presses the rewind button and bids Havant and Waterlooville bon voyage in their fantasy at Liverpool, Grazioli is still on the giant-killing trail with Barnet. Reunited at Underhill with Paul Fairclough, the Stevenage boss who gave Newcastle such a hard time in 1998, Grazioli faces his old club Bristol Rovers for a place in the last 16.

Fairclough inspired the Bees to their penalty shoot-out win against Swindon in midweek by mounting a 4ft x 3ft mural of Grazioli being mobbed by his Stevenage team-mates.

This afternoon, on the 10th anniversary of his famous goal, transfer-listed Grazioli is likely to be on the bench like a nuclear deterrent to Rovers.

"The buzz of scoring that goal against Newcastle lasted for ages," said Grazioli. "Basically it has sustained my career. I could have drifted out of the game, but instead I've been dining out on it for a decade. I'm 33 in March, and there may not be many more opportunities to make an impact in the Cup, but I would love to think there is at least one more special goal, one more big headline, left in me.

"It doesn't seem like 10 years ago that Newcastle came to Broadhall Way with a team including Shearer and Stuart Pearce - and we didn't flinch.

"Shearer scored after about two minutes, and we could have been forgiven for thinking 'Uh-oh, here we go'. But any negative thoughts went out of our heads as quickly as that goal went in. I had a goal disallowed for offside but we equalised just before half-time.

"Perhaps it would be stretching the point to say I out-jumped Alessandro Pistone, but I got away from him and, apart from the birth of my child, that was the best moment of my whole life: sheer, joyous pandemonium.

"The morning after the game, we had to be in the Big Breakfast TV studios at 5am.

Most of the lads were struggling after the all-night celebrations. "Before I got home, I went for a big fry-up and when I turned into my street there was a huge circus of TV cameras, pressmen and photographers waiting for me. I was a more wanted man than Billy the Kid. I even did an interview with Italian TV because of my roots.

"I collected a lifetime's headlines in my scrapbook in 24 hours: I've still got the Daily Mirror's back page with the headline Stevey Wonders.

"The strangest thing is how much we were hated by the Newcastle players - we really got under their skin.

"People talk about the magic of the Cup and whether it's still alive. Come down to Barnet on Saturday and see what it did for me.

I am going if I can get a ticket, bit of a trip but will be worth it.

Don't you live in Hitchin :lol: this is your chance to be the fat bastard in the away end with his shirt off btw

I am going if I can get a ticket, bit of a trip but will be worth it.

Your in London Right?  It's only an hour away :lol:

About £2.90 return on the train, the 4 minute journey is what's putting me off though.

Guest neesy111

Cheers, quite fancy going, but its over £50 on the train from Leeds so might not bother.

You'll need a season ticket holder to get a ticket for it.  Will be loads wanting to go.

Was thinking that. Might be difficult to get a ticket.

Aye, hopefully they won't have to build a wall for the temporary standing like last time.

People keep forgetting that we have attracted most of our fans in recent years so things that has happened in 97-98 is very distant for some.

Hmm, I'm sure we got quite a few of our fans from the Entertainers era which was before that?

Tbf im only 16, and only really started supporting us and caring about us when i was like 8-9, which was around 4 years after this Stevenage game. I was only 4 when it was being played.

xx

This country.

:spit:

xx

This country.

Lolz i member dat. I was in a bored/weird mood. You can probably find loads more stuff like that from my posts archive tbh.

xx

This country.

HAHAHAHAHA

Guest neesy111

Wtf, I'd have to go via Finsbury Park to get there on the train, taking 1.5 hours. It's only about 15 miles away. :lol:

East Coast trains go straight there.

Wtf, I'd have to go via Finsbury Park to get there on the train, taking 1.5 hours. It's only about 15 miles away. :lol:

East Coast trains go straight there.

I'd still have to go via Kings Cross which is completely the opposite direction for me, I live near Watford. What a ridiculously out of the way place. Sort it out Cajun.