Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think their bid would struggle as there's not much outside Sydney and Melbourne. Are you only allowed one city with two venues?

Sydney: SCG, Allianz, ANZ, Pirtek after the redevelopment works

Melbourne: MCG, AAMI Park, Etihad

Newcastle/Brisbane/Perth maybes

Could combine it with NZ like they're doing with CWC15 like.

Think their bid would struggle as there's not much outside Sydney and Melbourne. Are you only allowed one city with two venues?

These were the proposed venues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Potential_venues

We need a scando host, it's been a while.

Not sure they could do the modern format with 32 teams unless they all got together to do it.

Tbh Australia is a decent stable shout who will probs get it eventually. They should stick to a strict alternating process of going to normal football countries who have done tournaments before and then experimental ones though. To have South Africa, Russia and Qatar in 3 out of 4 World Cups is a bit much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Scandinavia

Obviously would love it but I don't think it's very likely. The current stadiums aren't big enough and the new stadiums would be too big to see any worthwile use after the WC.

Finland also has only one stadium that could maybe be classified suitable and it was built for the 1940 Olympics that never happened (but hosted the '52 Olympics) so it's very old.

Didn't realise Ullevaal is that small. Poor show Norway. :iamatwat:

:lol: at Brisbane as a maybe... I'm sure the 50,000 seater world class Suncorp Stadium will be able to hold it's on.  I think the soon to be 53,000 capacity Adelaide Oval can cope as well.

Don't think we would be an option as a co-host, Eden Park and the Caketin are the only two stadiums we have that would be up to standard since the earthquake leveled Christchurch.

In theory, it'd go to America anyway given that they came 2nd in the vote.

That would be the best outcome (no idea how the hell they didn't get it in the first place, obviously didn't learn their lesson about greasing the right wheels after the 2016 Olympics fiasco).

Football was dead there when they got it in 1994 and they still set the attendance record.  Imagine how much better it will be in 2022 with the sport very much established over there.

That would be the best outcome (no idea how the hell they didn't get it in the first place, obviously didn't learn their lesson about greasing the right wheels after the 2016 Olympics fiasco).

Football was dead there when they got it in 1994 and they still set the attendance record.  Imagine how much better it will be in 2022 with the sport very much established over there.

Still pissed about this. Could literally walk out my front door and be surrounded by Olympic events but we fucked it up.

Still pissed about this. Could literally walk out my front door and be surrounded by Olympic events but we fucked it up.

We had our fucking A-team up-to-bat for it too. Obama, Oprah, MJ, and Phelps.

We'll get the WC again soon, by default if nothing else.

I loved the '94 World Cup despite England not being there. Using college football stadiums impressed the shit out of me for some reason, Stanfords was absolutely huge. Didn't FIFA change the rules so that stadiums must now have a roof or some shit? That would count out most of the big college places next time round.

I don't think there's any rule against or for roofs, there were a few stadiums in the 2022 bid that has roofs or retractable roofs. I still can't believe the Silverdome got a few games in 94 (let alone a US game), that's the only indoor World Cup game so far I think.

They no longer rotate by confederations though.

There's too much money to be made from a U.S.-held tournament for FIFA to avoid it for too long.

They no longer rotate by confederations though.

There's too much money to be made from a U.S.-held tournament for FIFA to avoid it for too long.

It makes sense for them to hold it in one of the biggest growing footballing markets. Doubt Blatter will last that long to continue with his new footballing legacies plan too.