Diving

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today when Drogba took a dive, what he did was trying to cheat to get one of our players sent off. Had it worked, we would have been a man down for a big part of the game, and if it doesn't work, the worst thing that could happen to him with the current laws of the game would be a yellow card, which for a striker isn't much of a punishment at all. If we want to get rid of this behaviour in football (I'm not sure FIFA/FA do, or more action would be taken), we need harsher punishment for these cunts.

Yellow card if it's not in the penalty area or you're trying to get the player sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, red if it's in the penalty area or trying to get the player sent off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

It's a great idea in theory, but impossible to carry out in practice.

A referee is incapable of deciding whether or not to book a player for diving atm, to introduce a sending off for trying to get a sending off would just make things worse.

A referee is incapable of deciding whether or not to book a player for diving atm, to introduce a sending off for trying to get a sending off would just make things worse.

That could be alright I suppose for blatant cases such as today's where the ref and linesmen clearly weren't fooled by that idiotic dive. I think it can be a subjective decision made by the ref the same as decisions about intent, time-wasting and deliberate handball, etc...

It's one thing for the game to change through evolution and it's another when it can change due to protection given to cheating (or rather, lack of persecution thereof)

On the subject of this though, I'm getting pissed off at 'professional fouls' to stop players who are going through on goal (like Jonas/Ramires in the first half).

It's practically fucking encouraged by the press/commentators as 'taking one for the team' - yellow isn't enough punishment. It should be treated like denying a goalscoring opportunity.

That could be alright I suppose for blatant cases such as today's where the ref and linesmen clearly weren't fooled by that idiotic dive. I think it can be a subjective decision made by the ref the same as decisions about intent, time-wasting and deliberate handball, etc...

It's one thing for the game to change through evolution and it's another when it can change due to protection given to cheating (or rather, lack of persecution thereof)

If Drogba's dive today was so obvious, why wasn't he booked? The referee is too shit scared to make such a decision.

On the subject of this though, I'm getting pissed off at 'professional fouls' to stop players who are going through on goal (like Jonas/Ramires in the first half).

It's practically f***ing encouraged by the press/commentators as 'taking one for the team' - yellow isn't enough punishment. It should be treated like denying a goalscoring opportunity.

"Taking one for the team" would be alright imo as long as neither player gets hurt. Since that can't be guaranteed obviously, it's again another form of protected cheating, and could be considered unsportsmanlike. It is still a physical sport, but if it got any more physical might as well to change it's name to rugby or something.

If Drogba's dive today was so obvious, why wasn't he booked? The referee is too s*** scared to make such a decision.

I reckon Mariner thought about it then decided to let the game flow with it being so early in the game. Whatever it was, it was the wrong decision to let it go, simply because of how obvious it was!

Would probably cause problems where a player is sent off for diving when there's contact. If they were serious about banning diving they could start handing out excessive retrospective bans but it would never happen, its too far ingrained within the culture of the game.

It's a problem that could be easily solved if someone at the FA/FIFA grew a pair. Just punish every single one of them with video evidence after the games. and by punish i mean 2 or 3 game bans, not £2000 fines.

Would probably cause problems where a player is sent off for diving when there's contact. If they were serious about banning diving they could start handing out excessive retrospective bans but it would never happen, its too far ingrained within the culture of the game.

It's true, but if it's one thing that absolutely boils my piss personally in football, it's all the diving about. An absolutely disgusting habit which I f***ing hate to see in our own players. Obviously I'm realistic enough to understand how ubiquitous it is, and if a decision were to go for us due to one of ours diving, I'd be happy to take it. Just wish it weren't this bad.

If Drogba's dive today was so obvious, why wasn't he booked? The referee is too shit scared to make such a decision.

It was a horrible decision not to book him, couldn't believe it. Same goes for Chamakh against Enrique btw.

It's a problem that could be easily solved if someone at the FA/FIFA grew a pair. Just punish every single one of them with video evidence after the games. and by punish i mean 2 or 3 game bans, not £2000 fines.

This.

Tough to implement but it can be done, and it needs to be.

In theory yes, however today showed that referee's are not even prepared to book players for diving, Drogba and Cole come to mind. I could imagine the referee's actually giving a lot more freekicks and penalties in order not to send someone off for diving.

I would like to see players getting banned for diving, but it can only happen outside theory if there's a review board going over the video footage of the match after the fact. I think it could tone down on diving incidents if the players know a ban could be coming after the game.

A way to make it work during a match could be through video reffing.

This. Easiest solution to what is the biggest blight on the game.

Obvious to me that Mariner was intimidated by Chelsea and Drogba, to the point where I would say that he was not the man to handle matches with that team on the field.

Howard or Webb would have booked Drogba for that without a second thought, while the pair of them are true cunts at least they have balls for the big decisions.  It is insane that Drogba was allowed to continue without even a word from the ref following that dive.  Follow that with at least two deliberate hand balls, one resulting in a goal that fortunately was disallowed (because the linesman saw it).

There's a thing that's crept ino football over the last decade that boils my piss.#

A player can get a minor shoulder barge and his legs go from under him. Or they catch a trailing arm across the mush - and they fling their legs up. It's a reaction to gain a fre kick. Just fling both feet up behind you and drop to your knees, cristiano ronaldo perfected it.

Use f***ing video evidence?

Those bastards have used it on us enough so far...they should hand out yellow cards after the event.  That'd soon stop the diving.

Then again, Jonas dives like a tart at times too.

He's not even good at it. Worse than Gillian McKeith's faint.

Yeah, this. A lot of the bookings we see now for diving turn out to be wrong. It's a very difficult offence to be sure about, even with video evidence.