*OFFICIAL* HUGHTON SACKED

Skirge

The sort of over reaction is this thread is ridiculous. Wanting someone to have a heart attack, not supporting the new manager without knowing who it is....etc. Yes Hughton was a nice guy and we owe him for getting us out of the championship, but I'll wait to see who we appoint before creating drama. The decision to sack was perhaps premature, in an ideal world Chris would have been given till Jan to turn things around. But with the matches coming up, the players looking disinterested, my prediction is that he would not have succeeded anyway.

Goes along with what Golfmag said, goes along with the fact this is clearly not based on results, sounds about right.

There's possibly a reason they looked disinterested. A Hughton-based reason.

If we go by Campbell's quotes, the players got the news after and not before the game. Nobody knows for sure what happened with the West Brom game, but not only were the performance bad (both tactically and individual application), crucially gone were the spirit and fight that was shown against Chelsea.

Goes along with what Golfmag said, goes along with the fact this is clearly not based on results, sounds about right.

That's disheartening - as I read the article I was thinking it must be tabloid shit and that surely it can't be as bad as the Mirror painted the situation :(

I feel like I've been smacked with a wet fish, waking up to this news totally stunned me.

This is worse than getting pasted in the cricket - at least that was expected...

Mike Ashley get the f*ck out of our football club.

We are back to square one folks. Hughton has spent 18 months rebuilding the club from a fractured mess. He turned a bunch of players who wouldn't play for each other, the shirt or the fans into a determined unit. He smashed points and attendance records in the Championship, he got the fans back on side again after years of pissing and moaning about massive injury lists, arsehole managers and spiralling form. We were relegated a laughing stock by the whole nation but came back a different outfit, we went from hatred to respect in many parts, all thanks to Hughton.

He turned us into a sum greater than our parts at times, with a 6-0 demolition of Aston Villa, a 5-1 demolition of Sunderland, a team that went away and would grind out deserved wins at places like Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal. He got Barton and Enrique playing the best football of their careers, he nurtured Carroll from a reserve striker to an England cap in 18 months. As a team we had resilience and even played good passing football. We shot ourselves in the foot with some home games where we deserved more but decisive moments cost us (Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool). I can only point to a few games this season where we convincingly deserved to lose. I can point to a few draws we deserved to win, and however it might sound, I can point to some shocking refereeing. All in all we were more than good value for our points total and league position but yes we stuttered in recent weeks. Instead of sacking him January would be the perfect time to strengthen the squad and let Hughton push on, with the arrivals of Gosling and Ben Arfa hopefully later in the season too.

Suspensions and injuries have robbed Hughton of his most influential players for the last 3 to 4 games. It turned out the backup wasn't good enough but we all suspected that. Yes he got some of his tactics wrong but over the course of the season he has got way more right than wrong. His transfer record? Pretty good. Best and Perch were strange signings to say the least, but Tiote for a few million and Williamson for 2M are steals. Routledge was a smart and cheap Championship signing as was Simpson. Ben Arfa could have been a masterstroke, our most creative player suffered a broken leg and that would hurt any team badly.

The irony in all this is that Hughton's successes meant that we forgot all about Mike Ashley and looked only to the future with a feeling of stability at last.

All this progress and then Bam! Ashley strikes again. We can't move forward under this owner. We are back to fan protests again, disheartened players, a divided dressing room. Any manager who steps through the door will feel the axe hanging over his head every day he goes to work. The new manager knows promotion and 11th place is clearly not good enough, that money will be insufficient, he knows he's succeeding a popular manager who the players and fans liked. Who is going to take that job? Who is going to work for an arsehole like Mike Ashley? And why?

nufc.com's tepid response to this news is disappointing. As they suggest, perhaps the club is ready to spend decent money in the transfer window and wants a big-name, experienced manager to spend it and build a new era. But come on? Seriously. Look at how Mike Ashley has operated the club since he arrived, look at his 'blueprints' for the club and you have to say the chances of major squad investment looks extremely unlikely. He's been trying to pedal Hughton for a while, that's why he wasn't given a new assistant manager after Calderwood left quite a while ago. The media's attempts to suggest his position was under threat before the mackems game were bizarre to say the least and most likely were spin put out by the club to undermine the manager. But after the West Ham, mackem and Arsenal wins they couldn't sack him then.

Hughton has been a dead man walking in recent times, operating without a number 2 and working under ridiculous circumstances, fearing the sack while the fans want a contract extension. Make no mistake our relegation fight just got a lot more serious and the new man, whoever it is, has to start from scratch and build the kind of rapport that Hughton did. He has to turn a team into a sum greater than its parts and get average to poor players producing good results. And when you look at the current squad, he'll have his work cut out.

Mike Ashley get the f*ck out of our football club.

We are back to square one folks. Hughton has spent 18 months rebuilding the club from a fractured mess. He turned a bunch of players who wouldn't play for each other, the shirt or the fans into a determined unit. He smashed points and attendance records in the Championship, he got the fans back on side again after years of pissing and moaning about massive injury lists, arsehole managers and spiralling form. We were relegated a laughing stock by the whole nation but came back a different outfit, we went from hatred to respect in many parts, all thanks to Hughton.

He turned us into a sum greater than our parts at times, with a 6-0 demolition of Aston Villa, a 5-1 demolition of Sunderland, a team that went away and would grind out deserved wins at places like Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal. He got Barton and Enrique playing the best football of their careers, he nurtured Carroll from a reserve striker to an England cap in 18 months. As a team we had resilience and even played good passing football. We shot ourselves in the foot with some home games where we deserved more but decisive moments cost us (Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool). I can only point to a few games this season where we convincingly deserved to lose. I can point to a few draws we deserved to win, and however it might sound, I can point to some shocking refereeing. All in all we were more than good value for our points total and league position but yes we stuttered in recent weeks. Instead of sacking him January would be the perfect time to strengthen the squad and let Hughton push on, with the arrivals of Gosling and Ben Arfa hopefully later in the season too.

Suspensions and injuries have robbed Hughton of his most influential players for the last 3 to 4 games. It turned out the backup wasn't good enough but we all suspected that. Yes he got some of his tactics wrong but over the course of the season he has got way more right than wrong. His transfer record? Pretty good. Best and Perch were strange signings to say the least, but Tiote for a few million and Williamson for 2M are steals. Routledge was a smart and cheap Championship signing as was Simpson. Ben Arfa could have been a masterstroke, our most creative player suffered a broken leg and that would hurt any team badly.

The irony in all this is that Hughton's successes meant that we forgot all about Mike Ashley and looked only to the future with a feeling of stability at last.

All this progress and then Bam! Ashley strikes again. We can't move forward under this owner. We are back to fan protests again, disheartened players, a divided dressing room. Any manager who steps through the door will feel the axe hanging over his head every day he goes to work. The new manager knows promotion and 11th place is clearly not good enough, that money will be insufficient, he knows he's succeeding a popular manager who the players and fans liked. Who is going to take that job? Who is going to work for an arsehole like Mike Ashley? And why?

nufc.com's tepid response to this news is disappointing. As they suggest, perhaps the club is ready to spend decent money in the transfer window and wants a big-name, experienced manager to spend it and build a new era. But come on? Seriously. Look at how Mike Ashley has operated the club since he arrived, look at his 'blueprints' for the club and you have to say the chances of major squad investment looks extremely unlikely. He's been trying to pedal Hughton for a while, that's why he wasn't given a new assistant manager after Calderwood left quite a while ago. The media's attempts to suggest his position was under threat before the mackems game were bizarre to say the least and most likely were spin put out by the club to undermine the manager. But after the West Ham, mackem and Arsenal wins they couldn't sack him then.

Hughton has been a dead man walking in recent times, operating without a number 2 and working under ridiculous circumstances, fearing the sack while the fans want a contract extension. Make no mistake our relegation fight just got a lot more serious and the new man, whoever it is, has to start from scratch and build the kind of rapport that Hughton did. He has to turn a team into a sum greater than its parts and get average to poor players producing good results. And when you look at the current squad, he'll have his work cut out.

Amen. Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

How fucking naive was I to think that Ashley was finally learning from his mistakes and moving this club forward. Thanks to Ashley we're back to square fucking one and once more the laughing stock of, not only the country, but big parts of Europe as well. Even here in Iceland (!) people just can't believe this. Every single pundit just laughs at this decision. Being the only NUFC fan among thousands of glory hunting Mancs is hard enough, but this club just makes life fucking unbearable at times.

Fuck me Ashley, I honestly thought you couldn't top yourself in stupidity. How fucking wrong was I.

i'm not a million miles away from the nufc.com reaction personally - i liked hughton but i also have the feeling he might have been overachieving and that it might not last (we'll never know now), not that i wanted him gone i must say he deserved the season imo

everything depends on the next move, if it's a manager like jol or o'neill that comes in and the plan is to build for the next few years then so be it, if it's a pardew then there's no justification for it whatsoever

as it's ashley we're talking about it'll almost certainly be a total clusterfuck

Even if we get a Christmas miracle and suddenly appoint Martin Jol, that doesn't change a whole lot.

Mike Ashley will still be in charge of the club and therefore will be there to fuck it all up at the worst possible moment.

The Mirror article is probably correct tbh. There are a few times we have layed into the media on here during the Ashley era, and most of the time they turn out to be 100% correct. It's truely depressing stuff. Its a bit like Hearts, but more dangerous as its harder for Hearts to get relegated.

i liked hughton but i also have the feeling he might have been overachieving and that it might not last .

Reminds me of Richard Dinnis qualified for Europe after that relegation I believe

Funnily enough I was relating the Richard Dinnis story to someone much younger yesterday.

Not that I see a direct parallel as I think Hughton had a lot more substance than him, but had the popular Dinnis been removed sooner things might have been a lot different.

Aahh for the wisdom of hidsight.

"The sort of over reaction is this thread is ridiculous. Wanting someone to have a heart attack, not supporting the new manager without knowing who it is....etc. Yes Hughton was a nice guy and we owe him for getting us out of the championship, but I'll wait to see who we appoint before creating drama. The decision to sack was perhaps premature, in an ideal world Chris would have been given till Jan to turn things around. But with the matches coming up, the players looking disinterested, my prediction is that he would not have succeeded anyway."

well said!

better than half the deluded drivel posted on here, anyone with any sense could see hughton was struglling and the wheels were comming off.

http://captainhindsightsays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/captain-hindsight1.jpg

Mike Ashley should have done due dilligence before buying the club

He shouldn't have sacked Sam Allerdyce until the end of the season

He should have forced Denis Wise on the returning Kevin Keegan, or never hired Kevin Keegan as he would never work for a DOF

He should never have hired Joe Kinnear after Keegan was forced to quit

He should have listened to Keegans demands for Denis Wise to leave the player side alone

He should have treat the fans better as they are his customers

My work here is done !

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zJv17X2CI4c/TNQAr-cg__I/AAAAAAAAB_E/YB4Eo2gws4E/s1600/Captain+Hindsight.png