Chris Hughton

stozo

Bad spells and embarrassing results. :lol:

Blitzed the Championship, 11th after half a season with a newly promoted team, playing Williamson and Simpson regularly yet still pumping five and six past teams at home, even without a crippled Ben Arfa, going to Goodison and the Emirates and winning.

Compared to 15th and staring at relegation with a team full of internationals. :lol:

Obviously if you selectively remember only the good parts of Hughton's reign and compare them with the absolute low point of Pardew you'd come to that conclusion.

What were the low points of Hughton's reign then? Getting beat 3-1 away at WBA iirc. Oh no!

Everything he did as caretaker, consecutive home losses to Blackpool and Stoke, 1-5 away at Bolton on a run of five matches without a win culminating in his sacking.

I'd go on and list the good parts of Pardew's tenure, but it's not as if you don't remember them. You'd rather just ignore them on your quest to be needlessly condescending.

None of those are anything other than I expected from a newly promoted team. You obviously had higher expectations, which makes it so odd that you're backing the current manager. Why does he deserve to keep his job and Hughton didn't?

I didn't make either of those claims (a. Pardew deserves to keep his job, b. Hughton didn't), I said that I don't see sufficient evidence to determine whether one is a better manager than the other.

I'd have thought Hughton being miles ahead in the same division with much poorer players was plenty evidence. It should have been obvious to you from watching their respective Newcastle sides play anyway imo.

I'd have to say no, Norwich being five points ahead of us halfway into the season doesn't really offer me conclusive evidence that Hughton is a better manager.

Having watched both their Newcastle sides doesn't really convince me either. So either a. I'm stupid, or b. you're overestimating the quality of play under Hughton based on emotional distress due to our current bad run.

I'm kind of hoping it's not a.

They're eight points ahead, two points off a Champions League place, with maybe one or two players who would get near our team (the fantastic Sebastian Bassong is one).

We saw the best free flowing attacking football since SBR, under Hughton. In my opinion of course. We looked far better today than we have over the past year and a half, but it isn't quite clicking and hasn't been under Pardew.

Keegan had us playing our best football since SBR. If you exclude him your statement is true, but that's mostly because everyone else we had since then was absolutely fucking terrible.

The football under Hughton was pretty unremarkable. He was sacked before he had the chance to lock into a system that worked for our personnel in the Premiership. 

Blitzed the Championship, 11th after half a season with a newly promoted team, playing Williamson and Simpson regularly yet still pumping five and six past teams at home, even without a crippled Ben Arfa, going to Goodison and the Emirates and winning.

Compared to 15th and staring at relegation with a team full of internationals. :lol:

Obviously if you selectively remember only the good parts of Hughton's reign and compare them with the absolute low point of Pardew you'd come to that conclusion.

What were the low points of Hughton's reign then? Getting beat 3-1 away at WBA iirc. Oh no!

Everything he did as caretaker, consecutive home losses to Blackpool and Stoke, 1-5 away at Bolton on a run of five matches without a win culminating in his sacking.

I'd go on and list the good parts of Pardew's tenure, but it's not as if you don't remember them. You'd rather just ignore them on your quest to be needlessly condescending.

None of those are anything other than I expected from a newly promoted team. You obviously had higher expectations, which makes it so odd that you're backing the current manager. Why does he deserve to keep his job and Hughton didn't?

I didn't make either of those claims (a. Pardew deserves to keep his job, b. Hughton didn't), I said that I don't see sufficient evidence to determine whether one is a better manager than the other.

I'd have thought Hughton being miles ahead in the same division with much poorer players was plenty evidence. It should have been obvious to you from watching their respective Newcastle sides play anyway imo.

I'd have to say no, Norwich being five points ahead of us halfway into the season doesn't really offer me conclusive evidence that Hughton is a better manager.

Having watched both their Newcastle sides doesn't really convince me either. So either a. I'm stupid, or b. you're overestimating the quality of play under Hughton based on emotional distress due to our current bad run.

They're eight points ahead, two points off a Champions League place, with maybe one or two players who would get near our team.

Well, either way. We were nine points ahead of Everton last year, does that make Pardew better than Moyes?

We saw the best free flowing attacking football since SBR, under Hughton. In my opinion of course. We looked far better today than we have over the past year and a half, but it isn't quite clicking and hasn't been under Pardew.

Keegan had us playing our best football since SBR. If you exclude him your statement is true, but that's mostly because everyone else we had since then was absolutely fucking terrible.

The football under Hughton was pretty unremarkable. He was sacked before he had the chance to lock into a system that worked for our personnel in the Premiership. 

6-0 against Villa and 5-1 against the mackems, aye proper unremarkable that.

They're eight points ahead, two points off a Champions League place, with maybe one or two players who would get near our team.

Well, either way. We were nine points ahead of Everton last year, does that make Pardew better than Moyes?

Did Pardew have a set of much inferior players like?

Personally I think Everton has better players, but that's irrelevant.

The point is that you can't make a conclusion on a manager's ability based on a half season or even a full season of good or bad form.

You should agree with this. It's a precondition for you to be able to think that Pardew is a terrible manager,

Those were fantastic results but Hughton didn't have us playing good football consistently in the Premiership.

Pardew has his share of remarkable individual results as well.

The point is that you can't make a conclusion on a manager's ability based on a half season or even a full season of good or bad form.

You should agree with this. It's a precondition for you to be able to think that Pardew is a terrible manager,

You can make a conclusion from a career though - Hughton has yet to do anything but a miraculous job everywhere he's been while Pardew's career is littered with failure apart from one or two seasons.

It's not about changing your mind, he was here for 18 months as manager, in that time he got us promoted and was midtable in the league before he was sacked.

At some point in that short time yourself and Tooj admitted you decided he was a puppet and gave him some stick. This is a bloke who had always been an assistant manager, had been given a rare chance to actually be the boss, worked under very difficult circumstances but got us back up and in a very good position when he left.

I would be quite embarrassed if in that short time scale, with that achievement I had insulted the bloke and called him a puppet even if it was just for a few months.

:dontknow:

Calling somebody a puppet is hardly the end of the world, you're being far too sensitive.

I just think people deserve a little more time, but as long as you aren't defensive about it :thup: :lol:

Keegan had us playing our best football since SBR. If you exclude him your statement is true, but that's mostly because everyone else we had since then was absolutely f***ing terrible.

Those were fantastic results but Hughton didn't have us playing good football consistently in the Premiership.

I don't know, things were clicking for us on an attacking front in the months prior to Hughton's departure. While our results were patchy we came forward as an attacking unit, used the wings well and posed a threat through the center of the midfield. Hopefully today's attacking performance is something we can replicate and make the base minimum. It was certainly light years ahead of the majority of performances this season.

You can make a conclusion from a career though - Hughton has yet to do anything but a miraculous job every he's been while Pardew's career is littered with failure apart from one or two seasons.

I'll agree that Hughton has consistently performed slightly better than expected in all of his jobs (excluding his stint as caretaker), whereas Pardew's career has been great successes bookended with great failures. Then again, Pardew has also been a manger much longer so he's had more opportunities to fail than Hughton has.

Again, I'm still not seeing anything that convinces me that either is a significantly better manager. Hell, we don't even know where Norwich will finish this year yet.

Hugton is playing dream football with the tat he has available to him at Norwich. A lot of it short passing and moving, something that has eluded us for nearly 2 years bar a handful of games.

Makes you think about how he'd have this group of lads playing.

Keegan had us playing our best football since SBR. If you exclude him your statement is true, but that's mostly because everyone else we had since then was absolutely f***ing terrible.

I don't know, things were clicking for us on an attacking front in the months prior to Hughton's departure. While our results were patchy we came forward as an attacking unit, used the wings well and posed a threat through the center of the midfield. Hopefully today's attacking performance is something we can replicate and make the base minimum. It was certainly light years ahead of the majority of performances this season.

My memory isn't perfect but I don't really agree. I specifically remember the midfield being the weakest part of our team during that season. Nolan provided a goal threat but he was unfit and terrible in possession which lead to us often getting overrun in the middle of the pitch. Compounding the problem was that he was terrible every time we tried to play him right behind the front man. We also had very little wide threat due to Routledge being out of form and Jonas not being an orthodox winger.

Obviously it was miles better than anything this season. Almost anything would be miles better than anything this season.

Hughton was great at getting a team spirit going, played some good stuff in the Championship and was unfairly sacked. But to say he was a very good manager for us in the Premier League is massive revisionism IMO. He doesn't have any more PL success than Pardew at this point either.

Hughton was great at getting a team spirit going, played some good stuff in the Championship and was unfairly sacked. But to say he was a very good manager for us in the Premier League is massive revisionism IMO. He doesn't have any more PL success than Pardew at this point either.

Ian that is absolutely shameful. Is there anything you won't try and defend the club over?

11th in December after getting promoted and not a good manager yet the same person defends Pardew who's 15th with much better players. Unbelievable.

Four months Hughton was in the job in the top flight and produced two of the greatest NUFC performances in my life ffs.

Ian that is absolutely shameful. Is there anything you won't try and defend the club over?

11th in December after getting promoted and not a good manager yet the same person defends Pardew who's 15th with much better players. Unbelievable.

Four months Hughton was in the job in the top flight and produced two of the greatest NUFC performances in my life ffs.

That's a bit unfair TBH, I'm not trying to defend the club over anything. I said Hughton was unfairly sacked, and at the time I was also against how he was treated.

I'm just saying that looking back now and saying Hughton was too good is rose-tinted hindsight.

That's a bit unfair TBH, I'm not trying to defend the club over anything. I said Hughton was unfairly sacked, and at the time I was also against how he was treated.

I'm just saying that looking back now and saying Hughton was too good is rose-tinted hindsight.

Err how is it hindsight when I said it when Ashley sacked him?

Err how is it hindsight when I said it when Ashley sacked him?

Obviously I can't comment on your personal reasoning, I didn't read back through the thread. I just thought it was worth saying that looking back and using that period to say that Hughton is much better than Pardew isn't logical. Pardew delivered some amazing times recently as well.

I should follow the whole thread, sorry.

Since the two managers are being inevitably compared, ask yourself whether Pardew would have that Norwich team playing the football they are now. My answer to that is  definitely not.

Would Hughton have had Newcastle United finishing fifth last season?

Both hypotheticals are impossible to prove.

Since the two managers are being inevitably compared, ask yourself whether Pardew would have that Norwich team playing the football they are now. My answer to that is  definitely not.

Would Hughton have had Newcastle United finishing fifth last season?

Both hypotheticals are impossible to prove.

Imagine if Norwich had Hatem. ;)