Alan Pardew

JH

In the absence of a genuine quality striker, I'd like to see us try Best up front and an extra body in midfield, especially away from home. I don't see what we get from having Shola up there as he's not going to get into goal scoring positions - a bit of a waste of a shirt for me. Pardew needs to take his blinkers off re playing two big men, especially when they aren't goalscorers.

Exactly, it's a total waste of a position. Play Ben Arfa behind Best or something. Shola can do something with a 20 min cameo but should never be starting, its embarrassing man.

Guest Chubby Jason

Ben Arfa  Guthrie  Tiote  Jonas

Lovenkrands  Best

Frankly it's the only sensible option till that ludicrous tournament pisses off.

Replace Loven with Smith and you're bang on son.

Guest bimpy474

Shola couldn't bully a 6-year-old girl.

Not true.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4/shoolaaaa.gif

Thats brilliant :D

I'd probably just hoy Best central into Shola's role, then play Vuckic where Best was playing - assuming Pards doesn't want to revert to a conventional 4-4-2. Best is wasted out wide and Shola is just a waster in general.

Despite the defeat I still think this is the right system for us. Once we get Cisse and Ba up front with Ben Arfa and can put Tiote back in to shield the defence it will come together. Plus if what Mark Douglas is saying is true we'll have two new defenders too.

Despite the defeat I still think this is the right system for us. Once we get Cisse and Ba up front with Ben Arfa and can put Tiote back in to shield the defence it will come together. Plus if what Mark Douglas is saying is true we'll have two new defenders too.

In other words, battle for 4th place.

I don't particularly see today as Pardew's fault, although I can't help but wonder what the f*** he said at half-time. Probably handed round a box of Cubans and said 'job done'.

Indeed. It's easy to forget given how terrible our second half performance was but our first half performance was excellent. Completely controlled the half. We were just a bit toothless up front. Change Best and Ameobi with Cisse and Ba and we'd have put them to the sword before half time.

Guest Dontooner

Just to mention, the need to play a high line with the 4-3-3 formation we played in the 1st half. Its to keep players close to one another hence trying to keep possession and always offering an outlet for players to pass the ball to. I thought it was good football and a good system for the team to improve on as we have the players to actually play possession and progressive attacking football that looks to exploits space. It made me feel like we were a big team. Hope Pardew persist with this new formation with Jonas as the main ACM.

While playing this formation is great on the eyes, when coming under pressure of counter attacks , we have to lower the line and crowd the midfield making sure there isnt space for people to run in. After some time of trying to counter to no good effect. The opposition team will likely alter the attack to the flanks or through the middle. Which would allow us to play higher up the pitch again. Its more like flying a kite with possession football, got to pull it in when it gets too far and let it out when its coming in too deep.

Think only Barcelona as a team could continuously try to play possession football  as they have the type of players and philosophy to excel in that system. For us its a good start but we have to find balance. Attacking with possession but still solid and consistent in defense like we being all season.

I don't particularly see today as Pardew's fault, although I can't help but wonder what the f*** he said at half-time. Probably handed round a box of Cubans and said 'job done'.

Indeed. It's easy to forget given how terrible our second half performance was but our first half performance was excellent. Completely controlled the half. We were just a bit toothless up front. Change Best and Ameobi with Cisse and Ba and we'd have put them to the sword before half time.

Tend to agree, he did make some errors in tactics today but Pards had limited options. If our strikers had been playing we would have hammered Fulham by four or five.

Guest Dontooner

"You can explain everything," Jol said.

"The first half we knew that we had to be a threat in behind [Mike] Williamson and [Fabricio] Coloccini, but we never did that.

"We couldn't exploit our extra man in midfield and in the second half it was different because we decided to play a more direct style. That caused them more problems.

"It was 1-0 and we knew we had come back from that before. The score was not the problem, the style of play was more of a problem. We just didn't put enough energy into it.

"Of course with the runners from midfield and bringing on Andrew Johnson we got that [in the second period] and that is exactly what you saw.

"Having said that, we wanted to do that with Damien Duff, Clint and Bobby Zamora but we couldn't keep the ball.

"If we played it up to Bobby we couldn't get the runners in behind and with Andrew Johnson he solved that problem.

"I wanted to change things at half-time but of course we had (Steve) Sidwell going off [injured just before the break].

"That probably meant we didn't look balanced enough in midfield [so I brought on Chris Baird at half-time].

"The first half was sort of Brixton, the second half was a holiday in Jamaica. It was an unbelievable difference."

Here we go, Credit to Jol as he knew exactly what to do to attack us. See what Pardew said...Bemuse by collapse...i still have no confidence with Pardew with tactics...he just isnt that sharp in this area. His most efficient football that has gave him results is his flat 4-4-2 that mostly rely on the individual brilliance from his players.

Think a lot of this could have been solved by dropping the defence and central midfielders a little deeper.

Would have liked to have seen us keep the 4-3-3, put Best up top and replace Ameobi with Ferguson as he could then help out Santon since he looked to be struggling after giving away the penalty.

The defence moved up because we were weaker in midfield and they tried to fill the gap.

my reading was the defence moved up a tad because johnson came on and dropped a bit deeper, no doubt many on here want us to stand 30yds out and wait for them to come at us.

And you want the defence to move up and to be caught with ball over the top over and over again....brilliantly Pardewisque. Basic rule of playing a high line, you need quick defenders who can chase the ball over the top. We should never play a high line coz none of our defenders are fast enough for this, especially Colo and Williamson.

no, you try to read that and cover all fronts, it's called defending. thats why you don't man mark all over the pitch but take up positions to mark the man and cover other outcomes.

Seriously Madras, you're not making any sense. No matter how well you cover or take up positions, when our defenders play high, all Fulham needed to do was hit the ball into the wide gaping space behind the defence which is really not difficult for most premiership players. The only way you can play a high defence is either to have fast defenders or outnumber them in midfield and hustle them so that their midfield can't put the ball over the top. We did neither

i'm not saying we played a high line (something thats been all the rage on here since waddle went on and on about away at citeh the other year), we played where you'd expect given their dropping off when johnson came on, it wasn't a tactic just basic what most teams do in that situation, i'd also say if we hadn't been chasing the game those gaps wouldn't have been there.

Ok I have no idea whether we deliberately played a high line because that was our tactics or whether we naturally played high to follow Johnson who was playing deeper as you claimed. Whatever the reason, we are not equipped to play a high line and should have our defenders sit deeper/stay back. I appreciate the point that this will mean that Johnson will likely get the ball but given that his skills are limited and that he will still have to beat our defenders who will be in front of him, it is far less damaging then having one of Dempsey, Zamora and Johnson only having Krul to beat once they get the ball over the top.

thats my point, i don't think it was a deliberate tactic to play a high line. the defenders went where they thought they could push and cover other eventualities, as they have done most of the season. they were undone by individual failings (ie lack of pace), the lack of support in front of them which wasn't helped by playing long as soon as they equalised which just lead to giving away possession. with that going on we could just as easy be slagging them off for allowing johnson too much room and sitting too far back.

i don't really see it as tactics as much as a collective shitting of the pants when they equalised.

"Right now I'm fully behind Harry. I hope he gets it because he'd understand that role. He's experienced enough and has the motivational devices to succeed.

"Hopefully I'll get myself into a position where I'm experienced enough to be able to do that. I want to be at the top of my profession.

"I'd like to expand myself and manage overseas but, ultimately, would I like to be England manager at some stage if I was lucky enough to be asked? Yes."

dont get ahead of your station pardew lol

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4075782/Alan-Pardew-up-for-England-job-after-Harry-Redknapp.html

"goals that we haven't conceded all year" ~ hope he doesn't really believe that, and that he has a look back at them (and the WBA game) and realises it's not just 'one of those things'.

The thing is, the goals we conceded against WBA were when we'd pushed up and got caught by their pace behind our defenders. Today, if we hadn't given Dempsey and Johnson so much empty space to attack would we have conceded 5 goals in 45 mins? It's probably the only way they were going to score IMO.

"goals that we haven't conceded all year" ~ hope he doesn't really believe that, and that he has a look back at them (and the WBA game) and realises it's not just 'one of those things'.

The thing is, the goals we conceded against WBA were when we'd pushed up and got caught by their pace behind our defenders. Today, if we hadn't given Dempsey and Johnson so much empty space to attack would we have conceded 5 goals in 45 mins? It's probably the only way they were going to score IMO.

hindsight is a wonderful thing. all season we've played a similar game of not a high or deep line but a one most defences do of reacting to where the oppo are. for every fulham and WBA there have been wolves and mackems.

hindsight is a wonderful thing. all season we've played a similar game of not a high or deep line but a one most defences do of reacting to where the oppo are. for every fulham and WBA there have been wolves and mackems.

But you can't play the same way against every team, you have to nullify their threat while maximising your own. The threat Fulham posed was the speed of their strikers like WBA. Up front we matched Shola against the giant Hangelaand. Hindsight is wonderful but foresight is better.

But you can't play the same way against every team, you have to nullify their threat while maximising your own. The threat Fulham posed was the speed of their strikers like WBA. Up front we matched Shola against the giant Hangelaand. Hindsight is wonderful but foresight is better.

did you see the first half ?