Alan Pardew

JH

For what it's worth, with Shola out, I think Hughton would have done the same.

and he'd have been wrong as well :frantic:

to be fair, mistakes cost us this. it just really bothers me when people change things for the sake of making a decision, souness anyone?

Don't quite see what is funny, if you claim that you made the point before the game, then surely you can back it up. If this is the case, fair play to you coz I would have picked the same formation that Pardew did. It's all good to say that Barton should have retained his position on the right but who is gonna play alongside Tiote. A static Nolan (or God forbid Guthrie) plus Tiote would have been murdered by Barry, Yaya Toure and De Jong.

I was at the match when I heard the team, not everybody is an internet fan, how the hell can I back it up.  I don't see why I have to back it up anyway as I wouldn't say that I did if I didn't.

Internet fan? :lol: Not asking you to be one, just asking if there is anyway your opinion can be verified, as it's all too easy to make comments about wrong formation and wrong tactics after the game. Hindsight is perfect as they say, but honestly I couldn't not care less either way.

Plenty of people said that Hughton needs to learn from his mistakes - Pardew needs to be allowed the time to see if he can.

learning from the mistakes of others is a good start

He wouldn't have been following us religiously over the last eighteen months so you can't expect that of him in two weeks.

It's far too simplistic to say "well we didn't win so it was wrong" as if there was some fool proof style to beat them.

They are a much better squad than us and we did well apart from individual mistakes and a fluke. We created enough of our own chances and scored.

It's not that at all. It's more to do with the fact that as soon as Barton went out wide, Ranger was brought on and Nolan dropped back, we looked a much better team.

As I said, it's hard to argue with that.

Actually what I posted was a load of shit just here before editing. :lol:

It's far too simplistic to say "well we didn't win so it was wrong" as if there was some fool proof style to beat them.

They are a much better squad than us and we did well apart from individual mistakes and a fluke. We created enough of our own chances and scored.

It's not that at all. It's more to do with the fact that as soon as Barton went out wide, Ranger was brought on and Nolan dropped back, we looked a much better team.

As I said, it's hard to argue with that.

Actually what I posted was a load of shit just here before editing. :lol:

I was just about going to quote you. :lol:

If you put balls into the right areas not many centre halves can deal with Andy. But there are certain tactics I don't want us to overuse.

Good to hear.

He mustn't have watched Saturday's game then.

If you put balls into the right areas not many centre halves can deal with Andy. But there are certain tactics I don't want us to overuse.

Good to hear.

The Liverpool win?

Good to hear.

The Liverpool win?

:lol: Shit, aye. Christmas has fucked with the calendar that is my mind.

:razz:

You got SS3 on? You've probably seen it like (or a million better programmes).

Nop. What's on like?

She's watching some dreadful period drama.

Football's Greatest, the Maradona one.

:love: I've been trying to catch as many of those as possible in recent weeks.

The Di Stefano one was class.

Everything I said before was what I saw but the stats don't look like the set up was a massive failure either:

Shots on Target

Us    Them

5       4

Off Target

13    4

Passes

444    354

Passing success

78%    72%

Possession

57%     43%

This is against a team that are currently sitting in 3rd, who are potential title challengers and cost what £200m? to put together?

I think people are being overly harsh about the formation because it's not what they would have chosen. If you expect better performances than that against a side challenging for the leageue when our first objective is staying up then maybe you are expecting too much  :undecided:

Now I said in the week I wanted Ranger to get his chance and I stick with that because I would love to see Carroll when he has someone next to him who is hassling and creating more space.

If Ranger isn't putting the effort in to training I can fully understand why he shouldn't be awarded with a first team place, it would send out completely the wrong message. He may also not yet be able to put in the same performance over the full 90 as he does for 40 yet. Nolan is imo a lot better in central midfield however if we aren't selecting Ranger he is our biggest goal threat. I would rather go two proper strikers up top but if for whatever reason we can't do that we will need to go with the next best thing.

As said earlier, it's too simple to say "this should happen" and "this obviously didn't work because we lost" when you aren't looking at the bigger picture. If we started with 4-4-2 we may have surrendered more possession and been completely ripped apart. It's all if's and but's, it's too easy to say well we lost so I must have been right.

I will stop now :lol: