Alan Pardew

JH

Yeah, that's what I meant basically, it shouldn't affect Krul too much. Hopefully it will motivate him, I'm sure he knows he's been below-par recently.

Precisely. Players for the most part know themselves when they're not playing well. I'm sure it was no revelation to Krul that his kicking on Sunday was appalling. So it beggars the question as to why does the manager need pick that out as one of the main reasons for us playing poorly and losing the game? It's pointless other than as an exercise in blame shifting away from himself - it's not my fault we lost I had to play a kid in goal who was shit. That's right Alan, don't bother telling your young inexperienced keeper to start laying it off short to the defence during the game when you see his kicking is off, just wait until after the game and single him out for criticism.

The ability to scapegoat and shift the blame onto others may be the type of thing Ashley was looking for in an "experienced" manager, it certainly fits his style, but it's not a quality I rate highly. Sorry, but this is in no way motivational to a young player:

The goalkeeper had a problem kicking the ball, he seemed to be shanking a lot of kicks. That was putting us under a lot of pressure. That was not the sort of standard we expect from Newcastle and what I expect as a manager.

Criticising something like a player's effort, tracking back, concentration, etc is understandable as that is something they can improve on in the next game and is amenable to motivation. Criticising a technical part of someone's game when they have an off day simply puts them under more pressure next time they play knowing that people will be focussing on it and comes straight from the Souness book of top tips for real managers.

Of course Pardew wasn't saying we lost mainly due to Tim Krul's kicking. Krul had another poor game albeit he was beaten by a 3rd/4th deflection in as many games which is very unfortunate. Pardew would have been asked about Krul or had been talking about the player's and they've picked out Krul for the article. Pardew hardly came out in the press conference after the game and slated Krul, he blamed the fact we were tired and never matched their tempo and hunger for the win.

I don't think that Pardew was saying that Krul was the main reason we lost.

Obviously not the main reason. That would make him a real tit. He definitely partly blames him tho.

And UV - spot on.

Well yeah, obviously he is placing some blame on Krul, but he deserves it. He's no scapegoating him for the loss, or trying to avoid blame himself though.

Anyway, such a minor point it's hardly worth talking about.

Pardew would have been asked about Krul or had been talking about the player's and they've picked out Krul for the article.

Probably. And then he should answer something like: He is a young lad and mistakes will happen, but he'll bounce back.

I don't think that Pardew was saying that Krul was the main reason we lost.

Obviously not the main reason. That would make him a real tit. He definitely partly blames him tho.

And UV - spot on.

Anyway, such a minor point it's hardly worth talking about.

I think it is. One of many questionable quotes. But let's leave it there. It's well discussed now.

Pardew would have been asked about Krul or had been talking about the player's and they've picked out Krul for the article.

Probably. And then he should answer something like: He is a young lad and mistakes will happen, but he'll bounce back.

Exactly. Or he could have even used his name. Like he does with "Joey" or "Kevin" or "Harps"

One of the things I really like about Guardiola is how far he goes to protect his players and will even lie out of his teeth in order to do so. Abidal will have a mare at CB, like he did at the start of the season, and he'll come out and say how impressed he was for his effort, that he's doing great, etc... Heck, until the last day of last season he'd say that Zlatan was awesome even though they had already fallen out behind the scenes. Even Mou in his particular style always shields his players (unless you're Karim Benzema). That's how a top manager has to work, imho.

One of the things I really like about Guardiola is how far he goes to protect his players and will even lie out of his teeth in order to do so. Abidal will have a mare at CB, like he did at the start of the season, and he'll come out and say how impressed he was for his effort, that he's doing great, etc... Heck, until the last day of last season he'd say that Zlatan was awesome even though they had already fallen out behind the scenes. Even Mou in his particular style always shields his players (unless you're Karim Benzema). That's how a top manager has to work, imho.

Pardew isn't a top manager, though.

That would make Hughton a top manager then :(

Not sure it's an absolute, but it's certainly a trait I admire.

Mick, you completely undervalue what Tiote brings to our midfield. He is a defesive midfielder only in name and people say that to simplify things but he is not in the mould of Smith or John Mikel Obi at all. His role is not just to stop play and get tackles in. He is more of the Essien, Xabi Alonso, Xavi (though obviously not at their level) in the sense that he dictates our tempo and how we pass the ball from defence to attack. Against Stevenage, without that link, even Colo decided to hoof the ball up because there was just no outlet. Passing it to a midifielder would have meant just losing the ball. True quite a few of our players underperformed against Stevenage but I would say that was largely because of Tiote's absence...that is how important he is to us. Without him players like Nolan, Barton have to try and do things on their own and let's just say that, that's not their strength at all.

Based on that, I can at least understand (though I disagree with the decision) why Pardew tried to gamble putting Tiote on, putting on another below average striker was not gonna change anything, it's not like we had Carroll on the subs bench. Having said that, if it was me I would not have risked putting Tiote on at all, in fact my view is that until we establish ourselves as a mid table club, the FA cup is the least of our concern, I would have just fielded our youngsters along with players like Ranger and Xisco and ask them to have a go at Stevenage. 

Your assertions that Hughton would have not done this or done that, like "I do not believe for one minute that we would have seen the display against Stevenage under Hughton" or "I have no doubt at all that we wouldnt be going into the mackem game without Tiote if Hughton was still here" is unfortunately just that, bollocks assertion. Despite your best believe, nobody can say for sure what Hughton would have done.

All this coupled with the fact how you intentionally omitted the part that Pardew had a 10 point deduction when you come out with your super "Pardew had the highest budget in the division and his target was to reach a play-off position and he failed", tells me that you are either unable or unwilling to be objective in your assessment of Pardew. Stevenage aside (which yes I hold him accountable for), he has exceeded my expectations in the other 5 games. I have no doubt at all that we would have only got maximum 4 points under Hughton for those 5 games, two can play the bollocks assertion game.

I completely undervalue what Tiote brings to our midfield?  To be honest I think you're going way over the top regarding Tiote and this game.  He is a very good player and one that we're almost certain to miss this weekend.  Having said that, we absolutely walked a division which had a lot of better teams than Stevenage playing in it and we did that without Tiote.  We were playing a team which didn't need Tiote to beat it and it was a game in which only one or two players came out with any sort of credit, Tiote wasn't going to turn around the games of so many players in so many positions.

Earlier this season we played a team from the same division as Stevenage and one higher up the league.  We fielded a team which contained 11 different players from the one that beat Villa the week before and one that didn't contain Tiote, guess what, we beat them.

What do you mean I intentionally omitted the part that Pardew had a 10 point deduction?  Pardew knew that his target was and he knew that he had a 10 deficit to make up, he spent £millions to achieve the play-offs and he failed.  Why should I mention the points deduction?  I would have thought that most people know that clubs like Southampton, Leeds and Portsmouth have had deductions.

I can´t believe how anyone can defend Pardew.

Why not just bring Souness back. Heard he doesn´t have a job.

Pathetic.

No matter what happens this season it will go downhill really badly the next one.

Because he's got you 3 wins out of 5 in the league, perhaps?

And no, this doesn't mean I think he's the right man to help you progress long-term but see how he does, no?

Win, lose or draw on Sunday, I can see Pardew getting zero praise. And that's not how it should be (if you get a good result).

Nah aside from the Stevenage embarassment (including wrongly playing Tiote), nothing bad has really happened. He could use more discretion in airing some of his views but I suspect that is just his style and it's no big tragedy. It's more like a bunch of people who are desperate to be proven right on how bad Pardew is gonna be, that are jumping on every little thing he does to criticize him. Unbelievable that after we beat Liverpool, Wigan and thrash West Ham, that fans are still not willing to give him a chance. I'm not saying give him a blowjob, but at least be honest give him credit when its due and see how things pan out first before playing the Souness card.

I think you should try and put yourself in the position of the players who have been openly criticised in the press.  Think about how shit you would feel if you had a bad day at work and your boss posted something on your company notice board.  Something telling everybody how poorly you had performed the day before.  Your boss would probably get sacked for it and you would certainly have a case against your company.  Now multiply that by thousands and you probably have an idea how Krul and Ranger have been feeling after seeing their names splashed all over the media.

Pathetic.

No matter what happens this season it will go downhill really badly the next one.

And no, this doesn't mean I think he's the right man to help you progress long-term but see how he does, no?

Win, lose or draw on Sunday, I can see Pardew getting zero praise. And that's not how it should be (if you get a good result).

Laughable, isn't it?

If we'd won 0 of those 5 under Hughton, you can bet your house that ATB would still be waxing lyrical about him.

Pathetic.

Laughable, isn't it?

If we'd won 0 of those 5 under Hughton, you can bet your house that ATB would still be waxing lyrical about him.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

My company cleans offices and one of the directors of an office we clean is a lifelong Hammers fan and in a conversation I had with him regarding Pardew the other day he basically said, in summary:

He is a patter merchant who loves the sound of his own voice and will talk shit to the press daily if allowed.

He will sign some good unknowns and some duds but will generally come out on top in the transfer market.

One week we'll play good football the next long ball.

We will do better against the better sides, not so good against the lesser sides.

Will thrash a team or two and be thrashed likewise.

Will be a mid-table side who could threaten top 6 on our day but more than likely to hover between top 10 and below.

He will fall out with players.

He will eventually piss of fans, players, media and board and be booted.

He did say however that this being NUFC or rather Mike Ashley's NUFC to quote him, Pardew is not likely to last that long anyway. The overall impression I got was that Pardew has some good ideas and isn't too bad a guy but he rubs people up the wrong way with the way he handles certain situations and players via the press. His hero is Mourinho apparently too which could explain the media angle with him.

I did ask the guy what he thinks of Pardew today and he said he took them up, signed some good players, finished mid-table (threatening more) and took them close to an FA Cup win, one of their better managers in recent years who shouldn't have been sacked.

:dontknow:

My feelings on Pardew are that he's a complete fuckwit and will be a huge disaster here but the West Ham fan in question is a clever lad who isn't your typical over emotional and reactionary type of fan, he's fairly well balanced with his views and seems to rate Pardew but thinks because its NUFC and the way we seem to work, Pardew or no Pardew it doesn't matter, they are all destined to fail, something he says is not too dissimilar to how West Ham operate by the way.

My company cleans offices and one of the directors of an office we clean is a lifelong Hammers fan and in a conversation I had with him regarding Pardew the other day he basically said, in summary:

He is a patter merchant who loves the sound of his own voice and will talk shit to the press daily if allowed.

He will sign some good unknowns and some duds but will generally come out on top in the transfer market.

One week we'll play good football the next long ball.

We will do better against the better sides, not so good against the lesser sides.

Will thrash a team or two and be thrashed likewise.

Will be a mid-table side who could threaten top 6 on our day but more than likely to hover between top 10 and below.

He will fall out with players.

He will eventually piss of fans, players, media and board and be booted.

He did say however that this being NUFC or rather Mike Ashley's NUFC to quote him, Pardew is not likely to last that long anyway. The overall impression I got was that Pardew has some good ideas and isn't too bad a guy but he rubs people up the wrong way with the way he handles certain situations and players via the press. His hero is Mourinho apparently too which could explain the media angle with him.

I did ask the guy what he thinks of Pardew today and he said he took them up, signed some good players, finished mid-table (threatening more) and took them close to an FA Cup win, one of their better managers in recent years who shouldn't have been sacked.

:dontknow:

My feelings on Pardew are that he's a complete fuckwit and will be a huge disaster here but the West Ham fan in question is a clever lad who isn't your typical over emotional and reactionary type of fan, he's fairly well balanced with his views and seems to rate Pardew but thinks because its NUFC and the way we seem to work, Pardew or no Pardew it doesn't matter, they are all destined to fail, something he says is not too dissimilar to how West Ham operate by the way.

Probably not far off the mark with that appraisal. Pardew strikes me as someone who has the tools to be half a decent manager if he wasn't such a knob.