1999/2000: Finishes 10th in League One

2000/2001: League One playoff final defeat

2001/2002: Automatic promotion to the Championship

2002/2003: Championship playoffs defeat - leaves for:

West Ham

2003/2004: Championship playoff final defeat

2004/2005: Championship playoff final victory

2005/2006: Finishes 9th in Premier League, FA Cup final defeat

2006/2007: Worst run of defeats for West Ham in over 70 years including League Cup defeat to Chesterfield - sacked in December, turns up at:

Charlton

2006/2007: Takes over in December, relegated from the Premier League

2007/2008: Finishes 11th in the Championship

2008/2009: Near the foot of the table and without a win in eight - sacked in November, turns up at:

Southampton

2009/2010: Narrowly misses out on League One playoff spots despite 10pt deduction, wins Football League Trophy - sacked

Loads better than Hughton, that.

being fair hughton had the best squad in his division to work with.

however... Mr Ashley,

Could you please tell us why you are waiting to announce the appointment of Alan Pardew as you know, I know, my auntie Joan in toronto and quite probably people in coma's and persistent vegetative states know that you planned it a while ago to let Mr Hughton go and replace him with Mr Pardew ?

Why are you trying to make it appear that you are now starting the search process when you actually decided weeks ago and had Mr Pardew informed ?

Cheers, an interested party.

Hughton made it the best squad in the division imo.

We had 4 strikers that were either young or not that good but he got the most out of them and brought on Carroll amazingly.

Our midfield were no great shakes either, especially pre-Routledge but he got the best out of them and used them to their strengths.

Bar Enrique our defence was horrendously low on confidence/out of form but he instilled that back into them and got them performing to their best.

People keep saying he had the best squad but you just have to look at how they were performing when we went round to see how confidence had completely torn apart any shred of ability.

Look at Boro, I would say their squad was a lot better than most in that division. Same again this season with the additions they made but they haven't got a manager capable of getting the best out of them.

Clapping

Hughton doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for last season. Never even gets mentioned that it's under his stewardship that Carroll has turned from sub-par Championship striker to England international in under a year.

Suppose it would have happened anyway. {$default_roll_eyes_smiley}

Or that Enrique is now one of the best left backs in the league. Or that Colocinni has gone from a clown to comandante. Or that Barton has turned his career around. Etc,etc. Many seem to forget just how f***ed our squad was in terms of morale at the start of last season too. Winning the championship in that style was a pretty fantastic achievement.

i honestly think carroll came on cos he has the talent, like downing and johnson at the boro, yes 4 strikers that were young and not great, but still in general better than most anything else out there.

re the confidence of the defence...if you remember back to early last season we were saying that we weren't playing that well at the back but thats the difference between didvisions, you don't get punished lower down.

midfield, in barton,nolan and jonas you still had the best group of midfielders in the division.

confidence in the team came from winning at the start of the season, that came from being stronger and taking chances more than the opposition. not because we were steam rollering them.

coloccini...i'm still not convinced and enrique is looking as strong now as he was when we got relegated but hasn't been as expansive this season.

it's always concerned me that the players put so much in to what happened after the orient game, when hughton left them to it.

hughton kept the players happy for a while and for a while they played for him, he identified the positions we needed to strengthen and got adequate players in for the most part.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/vader-nooooo.jpg

:facepalm: :kasper: :angry: :harry: :suicide:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/avs/avatar_294.png

madras you couldn't be more wrong and have seemingly underestimated the influence of the manager

or i've correctly remembered the start of last season. the players played for him because they liked him, i also still remember nolan calling for a sub for tactical reasons and it was done minutes later.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

madras you couldn't be more wrong and have seemingly underestimated the influence of the manager

or i've correctly remembered the start of last season. the players played for him because they liked him, i also still remember nolan calling for a sub for tactical reasons and it was done minutes later.

I remember last season too. The defence wasn't fantastic (despite what the stats say), rather than opposition attack wasn't as ruthless as Premier League standards. There were plenty of times I was laughing at 'getting away with one' last season.

Thanks....So is there any direct quotes from Jol? Sorry i'm behind!

His agent on Dutch TV said that Newcastle wasn't an option for him.

Why has none of our media picked up on this? or am I being totally thick? just can't find fuck all online about this.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ypJGR4h044LmIM::https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/cabell-rhymes-with-scrabble-how-didnt-know-this/4c85e2844046a072.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzet6hfSlYKJbeeyF1xDhJkfLhAfBw

Things like that highlight the fact he was still a new manager learning the game. Nothing wrong with that?

What did Nolan say then? :lol:

Thanks....So is there any direct quotes from Jol? Sorry i'm behind!

His agent on Dutch TV said that Newcastle wasn't an option for him.

Why has none of our media picked up on this? or am I being totally thick? just can't find f*** all online about this.

Because it was on Dutch TV? Why would British journalists be watching Dutch TV?

Seriously an appointment that actually makes hiring Souness look like a good decision.

FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Even Curbishley or Venables would be better choices and I would never in a million years want either close to our club.

I have a general understanding for sacking Hughton, although I don't agree with it. Essentially its like Sacking Roeder 8 months sooner than they did. However to have no-one significantly better than Hughton to come in is another glaringly embarrassing gaff by possibly the worst owners in football club history. The Darwin Awards beckon.

What did Nolan say then? :lol:

weren't you there, everyone was talking about it after the game ?