Alan Pardew

JH

I think Pardew bashers would have hammered him either way tonight:

Play an experienced line up: FFS Pardew, give the kids a chance!

Play the kids: FFS Pardew, take the competition seriously, we've won nowt since 1969!

I'm not a Pardew basher but his inability to get the team playing from the back is a concern. He won't keep his job if he persists in playing Allardyce football with a team increasingly made up of French footballers used to technical football. I'm being generous in assuming he's not got good enough full backs to bring the ball out, but his GK is kicking balls long to the centre forwards as well. And as Tooj pointed out in another thread, Swansea have worse players yet still managed to play nice attractive football.

spot on there. Pardew is receiving the benefit of the doubt for now with it being the start of the season and two shit full-backs. establishing fluent passing football will come from working at it relentlessly in training so if it doesnt improve in the next couple of weeks then questions will be asked about what's going on.

Give it time. If we're not playing better football in a few months time then it's time to start having a go.

Ryan Taylor and Danny Simpson simply aren't cut out for possession football. The fact Krul aims it up-field every time isn't great either, but I think he lacks confidence in his ability with the ball at his feet (as was evidenced when he turned it over on his right foot late in the game).

Have to disagree with Pardews inability to get the team playing from the back. As already mentioned I think its a problem with LB especially right now.

We were playing some neat stuff last year with Enrique bringing the ball out. Colo and Taylor will both bring the ball through too, although it is a scary moment when they do. Simpson was certainly much better with Barton infront of him too.

Tonight especially we missed the connectiveness of Barton ahead of Simpson, Raylor being out of position and Marveaux being a completely different player to Jonas. We also hugely missed Tiote.

I agree that it was disturbing we had to revert to hoofing but I think it was a panic option because we werent getting through any other way.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Well done Alan

Didn't disagree one bit with his selection, gosling and Ba particularly failed to do themselves justice. Created energy in the team when he had to which made the difference

Third game in a row where we've failed to come out the blocks, this needs to get sorted otherwise we'll find ourselves 2 or 3 down in the first half against better teams.  Obviously gave them a bollocking at half time and the subs were spot on, so credit for that.  As others have said though, Lovenkrands wide right was a bit  :idiot2:

I quite like him TBH, "The Ameobi's are well and dusted at this club" or something like that, he has such an odd turn of phrase and always has me laughing.  Not quite sure what this new style we're supposed to be implementing is though? 

I know we've barely started the season, but we're playing more long ball than we did with Carroll in the team.  The two best technical players on the pitch, Cabaye and Marveaux were constantly doing it last night, Simpson seems to be stuck on hoof mode and Raylor loves a long punt upfield as well. 

Would have thought trying to outpass and outplay a League One side would be a good idea, but it was shit to watch at times.  Got a feeling Sunday we will look to get the ball on the deck a bit more, bloody hope we do!

Ryan Taylor and Danny Simpson simply aren't cut out for possession football.

Ridiculous statement.

They're not ball-playing defenders and panic under pressure.

Not the people I'd want playing the ball out of my defence tbh.

Ryan Taylor and Danny Simpson simply aren't cut out for possession football.

Ridiculous statement.

They're not ball-playing defenders and panic under pressure.

Not the people I'd want playing the ball out of my defence tbh.

I think everyone relaxed when Saylor came on for Williamson, I was actually happy the clumsey excuse got injured.

Play the kids: FFS Pardew, take the competition seriously, we've won nowt since 1969!

Well, considering I want the club to give this competition a real go this season (Birmingham ffs!), I was happy that he fielded an experienced side last night. The kids coming on and doing well was a bonus.

Well, considering I want the club to give this competition a real go this season (Birmingham ffs!), I was happy that he fielded an experienced side last night. The kids coming on and doing well was a bonus.

FA-  and Carling cup are opportunities for our youth..If we start to field an experienced side in every cup game, it will cause a shit storm injury wise..That's exactly why Birmingham was relegated..All those matches resulted in a massive injury list..If they had to choose between staying up and winning the cup, I  think their choice is pretty obvious.

Deserves a lot of credit for not allowing Smith to go near the pitch. I'd like to think we'd have seen Shane Ferguson in some capacity too, had we not needed to replace Williamson through injury.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's used that line a couple of lines now.

IMO for 2 reasons

It's deflects criticism away from him if signings don't happen

The board have told him to stop with the 'before xxx game' comments

IMO for 2 reasons

He also may have used that line because it's true.....He doesn't have any handle on Ashley's money, and that's the way it is at virtually every club.

IMO for 2 reasons

If signings don't happen, Ashley is the one to blame. He's pretty much saying the truth (for once).

Guest Howaythetoon

There is no game from us, nothing, which is worrying. We don't play to any kind of system or way. We have the players and seemingly spirit and confidence to pass it about a bit and try and force our game onto the opposition/match but in each of our 3 games thus far the opposition have easily out performed us from the start. To his and the side's credit we seem to get stronger as the game goes on but we simply cannot carry on in this way. We were awful last night as a team and relied on a cameo appearance from a few of our youngsters. The starting lineup was all wrong, the tactics, everything. We should be beating Scunthorpe with ease rather than making it damned hard for ourselves. Yes they played well and deserve praise but with the right lineup, tactics and game plan we should be beating them comfortably. I fear that Pardew doesn't quite know how to prepare the team and is more of a reactionary type of manager who does best when having to react to situations. Our performances have to improve and vastly so if we are to do anything this season. We've made a good start though and he deserves some credit as the manager. The players are clearly playing for him at least which is encouraging.

There is no game from us, nothing, which is worrying. We don't play to any kind of system or way. We have the players and seemingly spirit and confidence to pass it about a bit and try and force our game onto the opposition/match but in each of our 3 games thus far the opposition have easily out performed us from the start.

In those 3 games we've played Arsenal, who despite not being the same team as they were are still streets ahead of us, Sunderland where the impetus was on the home team to go all out, particularly after last year and is the case in most derbies, while how often do you see a lower league side take it to their Premier League opposition at home in a cup game? All three times, we've came through it. There's definitely something to say for that.

In terms of style of play, Fulham is where I'll start to judge, I want to at least see some sort of pattern or structure of what we're working towards even if we're not there yet.

There is no game from us, nothing, which is worrying. We don't play to any kind of system or way. We have the players and seemingly spirit and confidence to pass it about a bit and try and force our game onto the opposition/match but in each of our 3 games thus far the opposition have easily out performed us from the start.

In those 3 games we've played Arsenal, who despite not being the same team as they were are still streets ahead of us, Sunderland where the impetus was on the home team to go all out, particularly after last year and is the case in most derbies, while how often do you see a lower league side take it to their Premier League opposition at home in a cup game? All three times, we've came through it. There's definitely something to say for that.

In terms of style of play, Fulham is where I'll start to judge, I want to at least see some sort of pattern or structure of what we're working towards even if we're not there yet.

Aye, against arsenal most team dont get much of the ball, making it difficult to get any real patter of play togethor or to implement a game plan. Derby games are normally scrappy affairs which have plenty of passion and tough tackles but no real quality play...hopefully against fulham we will see pardews new team + tactics implemented properly for the first time...

I was gonna say. I think your game against Fulham may be quite telling. It's a winnable home game, and the impetus will be on you to attack.

We're dogshite when that happens :lol: If a team sits deep against us, they've won.

We pass it sideways, try a few punts, which they mop up with their gargantuan Hangeland of a defender (and in this case, it is Hangeland :laugh:), we pass it sideways, we realise we lack penetration to break down a side that sits back, we get flustered, the crowd gets panicky, we surrender possession at the back, they score, we lose.