Alan Pardew

JH

My confusion comes from Pardew's reluctance more than anything. Just don't see why he can't play the juan mata type role where he is still like a number 10 but starts from a wide position and drifts. Pretty much how he has played his whole career until he came here.

Good idea :thup: just don't think that's in Pards' way of thinking at the moment, if only because you need to have a confident, settled, capable full back who can run up and down for 90minutes. With the big disruption in defence, I just don't think Pards trusts Ben Arfa to work hard closing down up front (which is ironic, given his support for Obertan) when we don't have our 'spine'.

Ben Arfa might be a victim of us having our 3 best defensive players out injured: Colocinni, Taylor, Tiote. Maybe he's seen as a luxury we just can't afford at the moment?

EDIT: on that note, how many games was Ben Arfa fit (and in the team/on the bench) with Tiote fit?

There is a massive difference when you defend Pardew based on his beliefs compared to what he SHOULD do. OK, there wasn´t anyone he should put on IF Ben Arfa weren´t able to play on the right wing, but when the fact is that Ben Arfa COULD play on the right, your arguements does not have any legs to stand on, IMO. I know you kind of agree based on your recent posts, but why post your intial thoughts then?

Well there are two points of contention:

1) Why doesn't Pardew bring on Ben Arfa for Obertan/play Ben Arfa ahead of Obertan on the right wing?

2) Why doesn't Pardew believe/trust Ben Arfa can play on the wing?

If you accept the second point, even if you don't agree with it, going into yesterday's game then I struggle to see why people are so outraged/confused about the first point.

I hadn't really challenged Pards view of HBA beforehand: the team hadn't lost to a non-title challenging team (and even then, hadn't looked out of their depth in any of those three games); I prefer the idea of HBA being further up the pitch to inflict damage on the opposition and not restricted to one wing*

So, when Obertan was toiling dismally, I wasn't shocked to see Ben Arfa sat on the bench - nor did I want him to sacrifice Shola or Ba for him, as they were both doing a good job. If Gosling hadn't been sent off, I would have chosen to sacrifice him for HBA as the 'number 10' with Cabaye dropping off in front of the back four as cover.

If you didn't accept the second point going into yesterday's game - did you question this beforehand? Or were you also happy to trust Pards' judgement when we weren't losing? Seems to be a whiff of hindsight harry mixed in with posters' disappointment with the result/performance.

*As Disco posted last night, there's scope for him to be played "on the left" in a Mata type role, where he's allowed to drift. First question is what do we do with Jonas?

Start on the right and allow Jonas and HBA to change flanks if neither is getting the better of their full back.

Guest michaelfoster

For me it's simple. Pardew is bottling the biggest descision of his career at Newcastle. Play HBA and shift the mediocrity to the bench.

:lol:

Yep he's really bottled it, not playing HBA in one game of the last 5. Such a bottler!  :lol:

Guest VaVaVoom

For me it's simple. Pardew is bottling the biggest descision of his career at Newcastle. Play HBA and shift the mediocrity to the bench.

I rate AP a lot but im starting to feel this as well.

Obertan is fuckin gash.

Maybe its Barfa's refusal to play out wide? But then again he seems to drift down the right quite a lot.

Personally i'd go with what was suggested a few post's up....Jonas and Barfa interchanging on the flanks with Ba and Best or Shola upfront.

AP needs to make a few biggies in the coming weeks.

Yep he's really bottled it, not playing HBA in one game of the last 5. Such a bottler!  :lol:

In fairness to Parky, many of those have been as a consequence of Obertan being injured rather than being dropped.

I'm not sure I agree with Parky's statement, mind you. I think his main mistake has been not phasing in Santon ahead of Raylor much, much earlier. Could have averted the Chelsea injuries/result IMO.

Last season after 11 games we were 5th in the table (having played Man United, Man City and Arsenal away) before a run of LDLDL which saw Hughton sacked.

This season after 11 games we were 3rd in the table (having played only Arsenal of the above; at home) before this run of LDLL.

If we don't beat Swansea and West Brom will Pardew be sacked?

If we don't win those games he should be sacked and Kinnear should come back in. Kinnear knows how to win on a cold Saturday afternoon in Newcastle.

http://www.expressandstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/joe-kinnear.jpg

Mate, lets fackin 'ope so.

If we drop into second half I would be worried he might get sacked, that was Ashley's minimum apparently (I remember at start of season and thought we'd never make it :| )

I hope we keep him for a few years, not going to pretend he's obviously a great manager, but do believe in patiently giving managers time to build squads. Would be nice to have Pardew for a while, his football style is good.

Last season after 11 games we were 5th in the table (having played Man United, Man City and Arsenal away) before a run of LDLDL which saw Hughton sacked.

This season after 11 games we were 3rd in the table (having played only Arsenal of the above; at home) before this run of LDLL.

If we don't beat Swansea and West Brom will Pardew be sacked?

When Hughton hit that slump of LDLDL you mentioned, who did we lose to?

Guest Heneage

There'll be a minute's silence for him when he passes. :lol:

A minute shouting "Cunt" would be more appropriate, but I don't think his family would approve.