Alan Pardew

JH

Aye, I agree our general approach isn't what I'd ideally like to see, but I can see why Pardew has stuck with it as it keeps getting him results.

I can also see why he's stuck with it, he doesn't know any other way, he's as one dimensional as you're ever likely to see in a manager.

His team is built on being very narrow and tight and all banks of four are very straight and well ordered. We could get away with it if we had steven taylor but we look a shambles defensively with Williamson and Simpson. he's become extremely scared of other teams counterring us since chelsea did in december but in fact since then we hvave done far worse and the hoof ball has increased (norwich, fulham, spurs). The stranget hign is I don't remember us playing quite this ugly last season.

it's a strange set up really. he wants everyone pressing and filling back in high up the pitch and quickly reorganising into very rigid lines. he has no idea how to utilise cabaye or ben arfa.

--full back--deep centre half--ball playing centre half--full back

--defensive wide man--box to box cm--stopper--defensive wide man--

------------------------deep forward----poacher--------------------

There's no room for flair because it won't allow the rigid side of our game to work. Cabaye's been adjusted to just be a constant runner and tbf he can do it because of his sheer stamina but he's wasted imo.

I'm not sure he's that tactically strong, he knows how to be a tough immobile unit that is hard to break through the middle and poor full backs are backed up by strong defensive wingers but in terms of possession play and movement he has no clue. He either just hopes Cabaye, Jonas, Ba (Hatem when he plays) already have a good enough footballing knowledge to do it without instruction or he genuinely believes the best method is to stop them penetrating us and hitting it towards Ba/player capable of magic. I really hope he has some new formation or plan lined up but I doubt it. My best hope is we manage to sneak 6th come the end of the season and he has pre season to attract some better technical players and rethinks his strategy- hopefully moulding a specific role for Ben Arfa.

Guest Howaythetoon

So what, we sack him? Come on then, so many opinions, very little indication of what the people who are running the club should do?

No, we keep him until the summer and then we do what we do when looking at for example, improving say right-back, we scout and recruit an upgrade.

I'd personally go for Jol, he's used to having players scouted and recruited for him, so can work under Ashley. Furthermore he knows this league, sets his sides up to play football and has European experience. He's tactically very underrated too. Plus he's a nice guy.

Ask a Spurs fan what they think about him and they all speak highly of him, or most do. He started the work Redknapp has simply continued.

I know Fulham are not exactly flying high but they do well enough and play good football. He'll comfortably keep them up which is kind of what they seek in a manager, someone to keep them up.

Or there is this up and coming manager at Birmingham who looks to be a canny one....

Pardew isn't the answer. We will not evolve as a footballing side under him. We'll only regress which is what has happened. We played better football under Hughton and displayed better tactics too. Results or rather league position is better under Pardew but that will soon change.

We did the same against QPR and Villa, sat back, play a game of contain etc. Its awful. I hope Ashley and co are having the same thoughts they had leading up to the sacking of Hughton where Pardew is concerned. If he doesn't act, that good scouting and recruitment system will be wasted on us as is happening in a micro-manner with Ben Arfa and to a lesser extent Cabaye who I personally think is a cracking player but because of Pardew's tactics and the way we line up in midfield, he's neither here nor there as a player and is becoming an increasingly average type of performer for us when he has so much more in his game to really help us, i.e. his high energy, his passing ability, his bite and drive, his goal threat.

Again not defending the performance today but you've named three games out of 26 that you're not happy with - none of which we've lost. Hardly an indictment of a failing manager.

Something needs to change, we haven't looked convincing for a while now. Whether it's going 433 or switching out a couple of players who are off form (Jonas, Simpson). Not getting another defender in is looking more of a terrible move each passing game, because Simpson seriously needs dropping and Williamson has looked dodgy too.

Guest Howaythetoon

We did the same against QPR and Villa, sat back, play a game of contain etc. Its awful. I hope Ashley and co are having the same thoughts they had leading up to the sacking of Hughton where Pardew is concerned. If he doesn't act, that good scouting and recruitment system will be wasted on us as is happening in a micro-manner with Ben Arfa and to a lesser extent Cabaye who I personally think is a cracking player but because of Pardew's tactics and the way we line up in midfield, he's neither here nor there as a player and is becoming an increasingly average type of performer for us when he has so much more in his game to really help us, i.e. his high energy, his passing ability, his bite and drive, his goal threat.

Again not defending the performance today but you've named three games out of 26 that you're not happy with - none of which we've lost. Hardly an indictment of a failing manager.

I could name you 20 games where I have not been happy with our performance. As I've already said, the Wolves away game, was pretty much the same, we won of course and great, but for me, performances are the true indicator of what's happening or what's coming and if we do not change the way we play our football I'll tell you what is coming.... more of the same today and that's not good enough.

Something needs to change, we haven't looked convincing for a while now. Whether it's going 433 or switching out a couple of players who are off form (Jonas, Simpson). Not getting another defender in is looking more of a terrible move each passing game, because Simpson seriously needs dropping and Williamson has looked dodgy too.

It's Ok saying drop them but who for? You can drop Simpson, put R.Taylor in and someone else on RW but who can play better than Jonas and Williamson on LW and CB?

I could name you 20 games where I have not been happy with our performance. As I've already said, the Wolves away game, was pretty much the same, we won of course and great, but for me, performances are the true indicator of what's happening or what's coming and if we do not change the way we play our football I'll tell you what is coming.... more of the same today and that's not good enough.

I really think you're living in a different world if you think there's been 20 games where you've not been happy this season.

It's all very well pointing fingers at Simpson and Williamson but it's not their job to make sure the opposition possession is minimal. They totally outpassed and outclassed us in midfield because of our negative approach to the game, because we have two wide players whose main job is to stifle - it's fine having one in Jonas who does contribute going forward, having him in the team should free up the other side but we play another one there. It's not acceptable. Taylor at right back and someone attacking ahead of him is the obvious choice because Simpson's delivery is something I'd expect to see from a pub game.

I also agree that he has tightened up and become more conservative after the good start to the season, almost like he's trying to preempt a 'wheels coming off' scenario occurring. Needs to have more confidence in the team and himself in handling the pressure. I can see why, to be fair, because he's become a victim of his own success, but he must surely see that we're going to slide down the table if things carry on as they are.

My problem was how wasily wolves just passed it around until Wolves were just outside our box, Cabaye and Tiote should have been pressuring better, but rather must have just been told t back off. We never managed to hold possession up the pitch.

Counter attacking football can be fine but we struggled to get the ball off them near our goal and then make a long flowing speedy attack work.

Guest Howaythetoon

I really think you're living in a different world if you think there's been 20 games where you've not been happy this season.

With our performances. I didn't say results.

It's Ok saying drop them but who for? You can drop Simpson, put R.Taylor in and someone else on RW but who can play better than Jonas and Williamson on LW and CB?

That's the point I was making. And why Pardew's hands are tied to an extent, I think after the couple of hammerings we've had he has zero confidence in the backline, and is overcompensating by stifling the rest of the team, which is actually probably the worst thing to do since it encourages more pressure.

Hughton's team could smell blood when we took the lead and it was fucking fantastic to watch. Some of the wins at the back end of the Championship and against Villa and on Hallowe'en were champagne stuff.

Today should have been 5 or 6 nil.

With our performances. I didn't say results.

I know. I still think that's absurd. We've not been tearing teams apart every week but there are a lot more than six occassions where I've been very happy with how we've played.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT - we did not pay better football under Hughton or display better tactics. Absolute tosh.

I'd say your last line sums up your own post. Of course we played better football. Not always of course and not scintilating football either, but we played decent football in the main, or at least football with a purpose, football based on some kind of tactical idealogy other than the hoof ball and work hard shit Pardew is serving up. All with lesser players too.

We absolutely destroyed the mackems and Villa at home for example, dominated Arsenal away with some very good possession football, although we were not always adventerous. There were many many more examples too.

In the main under Pardew its been poor football with no real purpose other than aimless long balls, high line, pressing and of course hard work.

I have only enjoyed a handful of performances under Pardew.