Alan Pardew

JH

I've said it a few times on here: 80's English style is what we're playing. Infact that would be Pards football education in a nutshell: Get it forward/wide and into the box as quick as possible. That is really it: uncomplicated, regimented and inflexible. I think the only two players who are igonoring him are Santon (who has started doing some lovely runs and jinks down the left and HBA when he's on the park).

to be hones ee have played good in some matches and some patches and he has managed to get the best out of some players we didn´t expect.

BUT lets be honest. the best games has come against team that are better than us and when we have been able to defend, like Pardew likes, and the type of players he has improved is the type of players that fits in hes hoof and defend play - not players that like to pass and attack.

spurs,man utd, villa away, stoke. the tactics aren't all hoofball. first half v fulham was as good as i've seen us actually play but with little end product due to the forwards we had playing. yesterday for some reason pardew decided to go long and it failed, can't really say it's a seaqson long tactic, bit like the high line we ALWAYS play.

I'm not sure about Spurs where we were decent at times and had to nick a point in the end, I'll go with Stoke, Man U and Villa.  The point is that the best you could come up with is 4 games out of 26 played in the league so that’s 1 good game every 6.5 games.

The hoofball hasn't been all season as in every game but it has been done far too often and our game is rarely about possession.  We've done well in games where we've pressed the opposition and forced them into mistakes, something which other teams have done to us more than we've done to them.

Always baffles me when people use Ba to discredit Pardew somehow.

He was pretty key in us signing Ba no ? That was the one signing that Carr had little input in from what ive read.

Nobody is using Ba to discredit anyone.

spurs,man utd, villa away, stoke. the tactics aren't all hoofball. first half v fulham was as good as i've seen us actually play but with little end product due to the forwards we had playing. yesterday for some reason pardew decided to go long and it failed, can't really say it's a seaqson long tactic, bit like the high line we ALWAYS play.

I'm not sure about Spurs where we were decent at times and had to nick a point in the end, I'll go with Stoke, Man U and Villa.  The point is that the best you could come up with is 4 games out of 26 played in the league so that’s 1 good game every 6.5 games.

The hoofball hasn't been all season as in every game but it has been done far too often and our game is rarely about possession.  We've done well in games where we've pressed the opposition and forced them into mistakes, something which other teams have done to us more than we've done to them.

they were just the best, I don't think we've got too many points this season that we didn't deserve. I agree we go long more than we should but it's not an overriding tactic. in many of the so-so games, the wigan,fulham at home type games we didn't really go long, we did play it about but it was the lack of movement, the rigidity of the formation that caused the problems.

Find it quite amusing that people can focus solely on performances, and ignore league position/point accumulation, but when others try to focus solely on league position/point accumulation and ignore performances, they're slammed down :lol:

I think he has been given credit for the points we've gained.

The point about Ba is surely that it's simply not healthy to have a team that relies on one player entirely to score all the goals. Obviously we're not doing that anymore because Cisse looks lethal too, but the point remains that we have far too few goals coming from other areas of the field.

Only one defender has scored for us from open play this season (Taylor vs Everton), I bet that's lower than anyone else in the league. Midfield's not much better either - our highest goal tally from midfield in the league is 2 and that's Jonas, which pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Keith Andrews at WBA has as many in two games - I could have sworn they were playing with about 15 players yesterday, the amount of support they had from each other in the box.

Sunderland away, Stoke away, Man United away, Man United at home, Chelsea at home.

Pardew has got a number of players best out of them for a long part of the season, almost to a greater level than they've probably ever played at. Namely those with lesser ability on our flanks. Carr has scouted exceedingly well and I applaud our transfer policy.

to say we lucked our way to our position is f***ing ridiculous. We got there from being an organised and dedicatd dfensive unit. If you want to see champagne football and below expectation results f*** off to the Emirates. I want to see us get undeserved results and be higher up the league than expected. I've seen 'The Entertainers' and I've seen 'Return of the Entertainers' and I've also seen us win f*** all in the 17 years i've followed the club.

Whilst I appreciate you have probably gone longer, it's not warner brothers it's St James' Park.

:rant:

:rose:

:lol:

The point about Ba is surely that it's simply not healthy to have a team that relies on one player entirely to score all the goals. Obviously we're not doing that anymore because Cisse looks lethal too, but the point remains that we have far too few goals coming from other areas of the field.

Only one defender has scored for us from open play this season (Taylor vs Everton), I bet that's lower than anyone else in the league. Midfield's not much better either - our highest goal tally from midfield in the league is 2 and that's Jonas, which pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Keith Andrews at WBA has more in two games - I could have sworn they were playing with about 15 players yesterday, the amount of support they had from each other in the box.

We have nobody in the the top 30 assists in the PL.

they were just the best, I don't think we've got too many points this season that we didn't deserve. I agree we go long more than we should but it's not an overriding tactic. in many of the so-so games, the wigan,fulham at home type games we didn't really go long, we did play it about but it was the lack of movement, the rigidity of the formation that caused the problems.

I think it's become an overriding tactic recently though, can't think of many games in the last two or three months where we haven't just tried to hit Ba/Best/Shola from the back.

I would probably agree with that.

Sunderland away, Stoke away, Man United away, Man United at home, Chelsea at home.

Pardew has got a number of players best out of them for a long part of the season, almost to a greater level than they've probably ever played at. Namely those with lesser ability on our flanks. Carr has scouted exceedingly well and I applaud our transfer policy.

to say we lucked our way to our position is f***ing ridiculous. We got there from being an organised and dedicatd dfensive unit. If you want to see champagne football and below expectation results f*** off to the Emirates. I want to see us get undeserved results and be higher up the league than expected. I've seen 'The Entertainers' and I've seen 'Return of the Entertainers' and I've also seen us win f*** all in the 17 years i've followed the club.

Whilst I appreciate you have probably gone longer, it's not warner brothers it's St James' Park.

:rant:

:rose:

Laugh all you like. I'm right punk. xx

It's not just the lack of goals from elsewhere, watch the games and see how many times we get players other than the forwards into the box. Jonas's goal yesterday was a good strike, what the hell was he doing out there though ?

It's not just the lack of goals from elsewhere, watch the games and see how many times we get players other than the forwards into the box. Jonas's goal yesterday was a good strike, what the hell was he doing out there though ?

Errr...get us into the top 7 of the league with an opportunity to play European football next season, despite having a slightly better than average squad and minimal spending money. After taking over a squad who were 100% behind the previous manager and maintaining good performances despite a total overhaul of key players.

Like I said, there are some spackers on here, and i mean that in the least offensive way that can be interpreted.

He's a one trick pony who has lucked himself into a job and for the first half of the season he lucked himself through games which we didn't deserve to get points from.

We were getting points because Ba was getting goals from nothing when the service to him was poor yet he still managed to pull balls from behind him to bury when realistically he shouldn’t have had a chance.  Our football has for much of the time been turgid dross but we’ve got away with it by going to places like QPR and lucking a draw.  He’s lucked his way to getting a point at home against Spurs when he brought on the same stroller as he did yesterday but Stroller managed a goal.

Our performances are now getting the kind of results that we deserved earlier in the season and instead of turning nothing performances into points, we’re starting to go the other way and turning fortunate positions into negative results.

Our football under Pardew has been poor because that’s the way he likes to play football.  We have good players who are watching the ball fly past them as the ball goes from back to front with one big hoof.  The players who could control games are being bypassed for much of the game.

The amount of money spent isn't a reflection on the type of players we've brought in.  We've spent low and still managed to bring in quality because unlike Pardew, Carr is actually good at his job and we've benefited from that in as much as we have good players, even if the manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Can you list these good performances that you mention?

:mackems:

What was bad about those perfomances? We were solid and played teams at their own games, only losing one of them, might I add.

Stoke away?? - We were under the cosh for much of the second half and after they got one back to make it 1-2, there was only one team likely to score again and it was not us. 6 mins later, we get a very, very generous penalty, Ba converts and knocks the stuffing out Stoke. Result : Ba (3) - Stoke (1).

ManU away - When Simpson was our second keeper?

I will concede that those performances showed character and determination and I like that in a team; I would not say we were in control of these games and consequently the outcomes thereof.  The teams at the top end of the table (where I would like us to be) are more often than not able to control possession and dictate the tempo and direction of the game. By doing this they are able to, by and large, determine the outcome of the game.

Even though we are blessed with capable players, we do not have enough control of possession and therefore struggle to dictate proceedings so that we are in control of the outcome of the game. Many posters have referred to the long ball tactics and certainly our keeper seems intent on kicking it long at each and every opportunity. We just dont hold the ball long enough. This has a huge negative knock-on effect for the way we defend, create and attack.

12 wins in the league. 7 by one goal margin and 5 by 2 goal margin (Ba getting a hat-trick in 2 of these and 1 OG in each another two). None by a margin of three or more.

It's a funny old game. We've been a handful of fortunate events away from cementing a place in the top four, and a handful of unfortunate events from being in the same boat as Swansea and Stoke.

The top six have it so sewn up that mediocrity is seen as over achievement. Weird state of affairs.

Errr...get us into the top 7 of the league with an opportunity to play European football next season, despite having a slightly better than average squad and minimal spending money. After taking over a squad who were 100% behind the previous manager and maintaining good performances despite a total overhaul of key players.

Like I said, there are some spackers on here, and i mean that in the least offensive way that can be interpreted.

He's a one trick pony who has lucked himself into a job and for the first half of the season he lucked himself through games which we didn't deserve to get points from.

We were getting points because Ba was getting goals from nothing when the service to him was poor yet he still managed to pull balls from behind him to bury when realistically he shouldn’t have had a chance.  Our football has for much of the time been turgid dross but we’ve got away with it by going to places like QPR and lucking a draw.  He’s lucked his way to getting a point at home against Spurs when he brought on the same stroller as he did yesterday but Stroller managed a goal.

Our performances are now getting the kind of results that we deserved earlier in the season and instead of turning nothing performances into points, we’re starting to go the other way and turning fortunate positions into negative results.

Our football under Pardew has been poor because that’s the way he likes to play football.  We have good players who are watching the ball fly past them as the ball goes from back to front with one big hoof.  The players who could control games are being bypassed for much of the game.

The amount of money spent isn't a reflection on the type of players we've brought in.  We've spent low and still managed to bring in quality because unlike Pardew, Carr is actually good at his job and we've benefited from that in as much as we have good players, even if the manager doesn't know how to get the best out of them.

Can you list these good performances that you mention?

:mackems:

What was bad about those perfomances? We were solid and played teams at their own games, only losing one of them, might I add.

Stoke away?? - We were under the cosh for much of the second half and after they got one back to make it 1-2, there was only one team likely to score again and it was not us. 6 mins later, we get a very, very generous penalty, Ba converts and knocks the stuffing out Stoke. Result : Ba (3) - Stoke (1).

ManU away - When Simpson was our second keeper?

I will concede that those performances showed character and determination and I like that in a team; I would not say we were in control of these games and consequently the outcomes thereof.  The teams at the top end of the table (where I would like us to be) are more often than not able to control possession and dictate the tempo and direction of the game. By doing this they are able to, by and large, determine the outcome of the game.

Even though we are blessed with capable players, we are seldom in control of possession and therefore struggle to dictate proceedings so that we are in control of the outcome of the game.

12 wins in the league. 7 by one goal margin and 5 by 2 goal margin (Ba getting a hat-trick in 2 of these and 2 OGs in two other). None by a margin of three or more.

Performance isn't just based on the style of football you play though, is it? It's how well you play, and we played well in all those games, despite it not beng the most attractive of football.

Don't know how you can come up with something like a claim that we played well against Chelsea. Sturridge could and should have had an absolute hatful, the amount of times he was in behind Ryan Taylor.

FWIW I think we'd have won the game if the referee hadn't bottled the Luiz incident but to say we played well for the rest of the game is a ridiculous assertion imo.

Don't know how you can come up with something like a claim that we played well against Chelsea. Sturridge could and should have had an absolute hatful, the amount of times he was in behind Ryan Taylor.

Displaying clearly that Taylor can't even do the basics of defending when he doesn't have a second defacto fullback playing infront of him.

That is a fair point, but we didn't exactly play badly. We had ten men (iirc) when they got their second and third.