Alan Pardew

JH

Guest neesy111

We've played terrible football all season, haven't we? Don't think it's a recent thing.

I think we played better football last season tbh.  We've just grinded out more results this season due to good defending, luck and good finishing.

Ba is also a key factor to our current position.

You don't say?

16 goals from him in the league and 5 between our next 3 strikers (minus Cisse) in the league is abysmal in all honesty.

Guest neesy111

Good defending and good finishing are actually a valid part of football like, it's not like they don't count.

You can fluke your way like that for 1 season, but eventually you need to backup results with performances or you get found out.

This just sounds a bit silly - good defending and good finishing are essential parts of football. Don't see how defending well and finishing well are 'fluking' anything.

Also sounding silly is completely ignoring are performances which for the last 3 months bar Manchester United have been very poor.

Good defending and good finishing are actually a valid part of football like, it's not like they don't count.

You can fluke your way like that for 1 season, but eventually you need to backup results with performances or you get found out.

This just sounds a bit silly - good defending and good finishing are essential parts of football. Don't see how defending well and finishing well are 'fluking' anything.

Also sounding silly is completely ignoring are performances which for the last 3 months bar Manchester United have been very poor.

I'm not ignoring anything, I admit we haven't always played well. But defending well and taking your chances is something to be proud of, not some sort of freak occurrence that somehow means your league position is unfair. It's not like the league is full of beautiful passing teams that outclass everyone on their way to the top 6.

Guest neesy111

Nah i'm sure we never played anywhere near as much long ball stuff early on as we have recently.

Williamson is a massive gulity party in us playing a long ball game imo, it just launches it at any opportunity while Saylor does actually try to come out with the ball.

Nah i'm sure we never played anywhere near as much long ball stuff early on as we have recently.

Williamson is a massive gulity party in us playing a long ball game imo, it just launches it at any opportunity while Saylor does actually try to come out with the ball.

This. Having Williamson and simpson on the same side of the defence leads to them both launching the ball long.. They don't have the same ability colo or santon have in passing the ball. The amount of times Williamson launched it because it was the easy option was infuriating as it just ended up coming straight back at us.

Imo, the biggest damage done to our squad this season was Steven Taylors injury. With him out our whole defence has been on a slim path. We got no one with steel back there to muscle the ball away he did. And it's so clearly lacking. We need that aggression and willpower of his to get the ball way out of trouble. With Williamson and Colo it more or less just bounces right back at us and invites more pressure on our defence.

A right side of Williamson, Simpson and Raylor is never going to encourage passing football. I'm not surprised Krul is reluctant to give the ball short to them, and I'm not surprised that they often have to channel the ball back to him.

And the excuse for Coloccini, Santon and Jonas on the left?

My main worry now is this 442 we play. Even Wolves controlled the center. We're surrendering the middle of the park to any side who plays the extra man in midfield. This immediately puts us under pressure and creates a huge gap between our mf and the forwards.

My main worry now is this 442 we play. Even Wolves controlled the center. We're surrendering the middle of the park to any side who plays the extra man in midfield. This immediately puts us under pressure and creates a huge gap between our mf and the forwards.

There is absolutely no need to be a man down in midfield, especially as we have forwards happy enough to drop deep and get involved. I can't help but feel the system would work with better wide men and movement throughout the team.

A right side of Williamson, Simpson and Raylor is never going to encourage passing football. I'm not surprised Krul is reluctant to give the ball short to them, and I'm not surprised that they often have to channel the ball back to him.

And the excuse for Coloccini, Santon and Jonas on the left?

I don't know, there isn't one really.

Guest Howaythetoon

It all started to go wrong with the defeat to Chelsea and the manner of that defeat. Since then Pardew has lost confidence in the players to win games by virtue of attacking expansive football and has reverted to a defensive, pragmatic approach to win games which has worked to a degree but we are losing more often and conceding more goals. Because there is no plan B when we are losing or conceding goals or on the back foot we struggle to deal with these things. Up until that Chelsea defeat we went into games set up to attack and win and although we were not playing brilliantly it was a damn sight better than the turgid crap we are playing now. Pardew needs to strike a ballance but seems unable to, unwilling to or simply frightened to do and this is his downfall or will be.

Calling for Pardew to be replaced :facepalm:

Absolute madness, statements like that is why as supporters we get the unfair 'over expectant' reputation we do. Yes, fair enough, we're not playing cvarpet football right now, but did anyone ever expect us to for the entire season? At the end of the day, we're it's results that count and we're sat 6th ffs. Did anyone seriously expect that?

I'm as apprehensive as ther next guy as to what the future holds for Pardew and this lot but calls for him to be replaced? Aye, righto. 

Absolute madness, statements like that is why as supporters we get the unfair 'over expectant' reputation we do. Yes, fair enough, we're not playing cvarpet football right now, but did anyone ever expect us to for the entire season? At the end of the day, we're it's results that count and we're sat 6th ffs. Did anyone seriously expect that?

I'm as apprehensive as ther next guy as to what the future holds for Pardew and this lot but calls for him to be replaced? Aye, righto. 

Incredible isn't it.

Would love to have seen some of this lot when we were dying on our arses in the 2nd Division under McGarry/early Cox.

Don't know that they're born.

:thup:

It's crazy.

I'm neither criticising or praising Pardew here, but if you think about it with the players we have why should we not be expecting to beat most teams in this mediocre league? We should expect a decent standard of football with the likes of Coloccini, Santon, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Guthrie, Jonas, Ba and Cisse at our disposal- all very capable technical players.

i agree it's too much just now but all the signs are there for the way it's gonna go with pardew like, kid yourself all you want

i agree it's too much just now but all the signs are there for the way it's gonna go with pardew like, kid yourself all you want

in a nutshell, a nut that happens to be correct.

Think he's done OK this season. I cant help but feel that if somebody like Benitez, Deschamps, etc had our team we would be doing better - perhaps not in the points we've gained (And for that we have done extremely well which I don't think many people could possibly argue) but in how we've actually gone about getting these points and the performances to boot.

Guest Howaythetoon

He has until the end of the season to get these lads playing a brand of football that will get the best of the players and to help us evolve, if he can't do that in our position, with the players we have and some canny fixtures coming up, I'd like the club to upgrade him for someone who can because if we go into next season with these tactics, our style of football and the likes of Obertan and Ryan Taylor starting every week well not get into the top 6 and our better footballers will be wondering why given their abilities and will start wanting away. Ben Arfa will surely be the first if he continues to watch the likes of R. Taylor start ahead of him and I'm sure Cabaye didn't come here to get a stiff neck looking up at the sky as the ball sails over his head all the time.