Alan Pardew

JH

e are sixth for the price of Cisse and a bore hole, in a season where we have used Shola, Guthrie, Perch, Raylor, Simpson, Willo, Obertan and Best. Lost Ba & Tiote to the CofN, had Cabaye suspended, Saylor broken.

It's a f***ing miracle we are sixth not an under achievement.

I tend to agree mate, people seem keen to focus on the good players we have as a reason not to rate Pardew, but they tend to forget about the absolutely terrible ones we have as well.

A lot of the time he's picking the "absolutely terrible" ones ahead of the good ones though isn't he?

Well sometimes he makes decisions that I don't agree with, leaving out HBA being the main one.

What I mean is that the fundamental strength of our squad is often used as a reason to say Pardew's work has just been average, but I don't think that's fair when we're carrying some of the players Si mentions.

Four of the eight players he mentions have been chosen ahead of HBA. That's Pardew's decision. It's also his decision to start Simpson every single game and leave him on for the full 90 minutes every single game.

If we're carrying these players, why is he so desperate to have them in the team at all costs?

Who is the alternative to Simpson?

Guest neesy111

e are sixth for the price of Cisse and a bore hole, in a season where we have used Shola, Guthrie, Perch, Raylor, Simpson, Willo, Obertan and Best. Lost Ba & Tiote to the CofN, had Cabaye suspended, Saylor broken.

I tend to agree mate, people seem keen to focus on the good players we have as a reason not to rate Pardew, but they tend to forget about the absolutely terrible ones we have as well.

A lot of the time he's picking the "absolutely terrible" ones ahead of the good ones though isn't he?

Well sometimes he makes decisions that I don't agree with, leaving out HBA being the main one.

What I mean is that the fundamental strength of our squad is often used as a reason to say Pardew's work has just been average, but I don't think that's fair when we're carrying some of the players Si mentions.

Four of the eight players he mentions have been chosen ahead of HBA. That's Pardew's decision. It's also his decision to start Simpson every single game and leave him on for the full 90 minutes every single game.

If we're carrying these players, why is he so desperate to have them in the team at all costs?

Mystery Man.

Santon or Ryan Taylor.

Just wanted to say a thumbs up to Beren,nailed my current thoughts

:thup: He's argued the point well.

I really do feel we have until the end of the season to really see pardew's football philosophy in full,I really hope he starts to actually act on these words about Ben Arfa needing to be in the side but we can't afford to drop santon either.Taylor at fullback against arsenal equals a loss for us in my opinion

Well I think you're exaggerating, all of those choices basically comes down to Pardew's conservatism when selecting HBA, which I've already said I disagree with. But he has been getting results, which (to a certain extent) provides justification. At least from the POV of a professional football manager whose business is results.

With Simpson, I don't think there are any other options that are better at the moment. Hopefully we have a fullback lined up to come in in the summer.

I find it hard to believe we'll finish 6th like if he keeps picking the team the way he is. Never known a manager be so slow to learn from his mistakes.

I do, Pardew replaced him, but he at least had an excuse since it was his first job in management.

Santon or Ryan Taylor.

Raylor is shit for shit, and Santon then just creates a problem at LB. The squad is paper then and we don't have enough talent challenging for places in a number of positions.

Does Pardew have to take some responsibility for the inability to sort out adequate central defensive cover in both the summer and January or have we decided he doesn't have that much of a say in these things?  I was worried Williamson would get injured, hadn't bargained on such a shaky run of form and there are no other options.

Santon or Ryan Taylor.

Raylor is shit for shit, and Santon then just creates a problem at LB. The squad is paper then and we don't have enough talent challenging for places in a number of positions.

If he's "shit for shit", why is Pardew picking him at right midfield? :lol:

What problem does Santon create? He's a cracking player.

Does Pardew have to take some responsibility for the inability to sort out adequate central defensive cover in both the summer and January or have we decided he doesn't have that much of a say in these things?  I was worried Williamson would get injured, hadn't bargained on such a shaky run of form and there are no other options.

It's a good question, nobody knows really. We seemed to be trying to sign some backup (e.g. Mariappa) and were close to some fullback signings as well. I still believe we have Pieters lined up to come in in the summer.

People have decided that he isn't responsible for the good signings we've made, so I suppose he can't really be blamed for the lack of signings :dontknow:

Unless Santon can play RB and LB at the same time, he isn't an alternative to Simpson really.

Santon RB, Taylor LB.

I know that's possible, I just think Raylor is worse than Simpson at fullback anyway. No point arguing about that in particular, it's just an opinion on who is the lesser of two evils.

Santon or Ryan Taylor.

Raylor is s*** for s***, and Santon then just creates a problem at LB. The squad is paper then and we don't have enough talent challenging for places in a number of positions.

If he's "s*** for s***", why is Pardew picking him at right midfield? :lol:

Because if your playing him at RB then we've not got an established LB to replace him. That's the problem he creates if your using instead of Simpson.

Santon or Ryan Taylor.

Raylor is s*** for s***, and Santon then just creates a problem at LB. The squad is paper then and we don't have enough talent challenging for places in a number of positions.

If he's "s*** for s***", why is Pardew picking him at right midfield? :lol:

Because if your playing him at RB then we've not got an established LB to replace him. That's the problem he creates if your using instead of Simpson.

The manager clearly likes Taylor at LB, so what's the problem?

At the end of the day, if you were to compare our players, man to man, with the best of the PL, we should and would be up there. The only reason we're not is due to the manager. One thing's for sure as far as I'm concerned, if Bobby were here, Hatem would have played the full 90 minutes of every single game he's been fit and available for. He's meeting Ashley's criteria, so he's safe for now. But there's no reason to accept where we are, we should be aiming for better with what we have. Whether there is a manager available to do this right now, is another question entirely. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to pass opinion on the fact that Pardew is clearly out of his depth at this level.

So to everyone who argued against this, do you believe that Pardew is getting the most out of this squad? With the right players in the right positions, with the right gameplan? If he is, well good on you. If you believe, like me, that he is not, then of course we are underachieving. It's not rocket science. How many second balls did we win today? I couldn't see any. How many headers did Ba or Cisse control as Krul punted the ball upfield did we win then? I couldn't see any. Who agreed with Ba pleading with Krul and Colo to keep it on the deck, but wouldn't as they had to follow the grand plan?

Why has he not done the absolutely, blindingly obvious things, such as drop Simpson for being consistently poor, and putting Raylor in his place who can at least do a job in the position? Or not put our best player, by a country mile, in the starting lineup regularly? He's limited, and being carried by the strength of our players. What I wouldn't give to have a manager like Redknapp, who's made players like Dawson and Ekotto with 90 year old Friedel in goal, into a top-3 side.

Ashley would never hire the type of manager we need to take the club further, because such a manager couldn't work with Ashley. That said, Ashley, recently, has set up some fantastic infrastructure around the squad and the team, with absolute top quality scouting and recruiting. But a manager like Pardew's only going to take that infrastructure so far, and it isn't top 4. Man-for-man, that's where we should be aiming with these players now. You would have thought, with top half fairly guarenteed, he would have at least tried to figure out how to play his best players in a system to get us ready for next season while the pressure's off - instead we're still playing like we're still chasing a 40 points target come gameweek 35.

My frustration is that, I'm pretty much realizing now, is that this is the best this club is ever going to be for the next 5-10 years. I suppose I can settle, but when it's so blindingly obvious what needs to be done, it's a mighty hard pill to swallow.

HawK, that's insanely negative man. We've made some good progress since relegation, making the right signings and signing existing players to long contracts, our best league position for ages, and you post something like that? Way over the top IMO.

I agree Ashley might never hire a manager who would challenge him, but that's just something we have to deal with and all the more reason to back Pardew.

At the end of the day, if you were to compare our players, man to man, with the best of the PL, we should and would be up there. The only reason we're not is due to the manager. One thing's for sure as far as I'm concerned, if Bobby were here, Hatem would have played the full 90 minutes of every single game he's been fit and available for. He's meeting Ashley's criteria, so he's safe for now. But there's no reason to accept where we are, we should be aiming for better with what we have. Whether there is a manager available to do this right now, is another question entirely. It doesn't mean I don't have the right to pass opinion on the fact that Pardew is clearly out of his depth at this level.

So to everyone who argued against this, do you believe that Pardew is getting the most out of this squad? With the right players in the right positions, with the right gameplan? If he is, well good on you. If you believe, like me, that he is not, then of course we are underachieving. It's not rocket science. How many second balls did we win today? I couldn't see any. How many headers did Ba or Cisse control as Krul punted the ball upfield did we win then? I couldn't see any. Who agreed with Ba pleading with Krul and Colo to keep it on the deck, but wouldn't as they had to follow the grand plan?

Why has he not done the absolutely, blindingly obvious things, such as drop Simpson for being consistently poor, and putting Raylor in his place who can at least do a job in the position? Or not put our best player, by a country mile, in the starting lineup regularly? He's limited, and being carried by the strength of our players. What I wouldn't give to have a manager like Redknapp, who's made players like Dawson and Ekotto with 90 year old Friedel in goal, into a top-3 side.

Ashley would never hire the type of manager we need to take the club further, because such a manager couldn't work with Ashley. That said, Ashley, recently, has set up some fantastic infrastructure around the squad and the team, with absolute top quality scouting and recruiting. But a manager like Pardew's only going to take that infrastructure so far, and it isn't top 4. Man-for-man, that's where we should be aiming with these players now. You would have thought, with top half fairly guarenteed, he would have at least tried to figure out how to play his best players in a system to get us ready for next season while the pressure's off - instead we're still playing like we're still chasing a 40 points target come gameweek 35.

My frustration is that, I'm pretty much realizing now, is that this is the best this club is ever going to be for the next 5-10 years. I suppose I can settle, but when it's so blindingly obvious what needs to be done, it's a mighty hard pill to swallow.

This is a bit OTT really, our squad man for man isn't expected to top Chelsea and Arsenal, which is what it has to do to get into the top four. Those sides have been fucking shite by their standards this season, and yet they are still ahead of us, having underperformed.

I actually agree with the specific points you make about poor examples to our play but not to the extent of saying we are below where we should be. Our current position is about right, even if performances haven't been as good as most would like.

There's an opportunity to squeeze a bit extra out of what we've and go for something special this season due to the competition being poor and that last CL place opening up. But it would take something extra special to do that. I agree Pardew probably isn't the man to take advantage of that, unless we see a dramatic improvement to the style of our play, but it doesnt mean we should get rid. the club is unstable enough as it is.

As for players like BAE and Dawson - they're actually pretty good. Dawson's been solid and they also have King who almost always performs well when called upon and Kaboul who has been a beast this season. BAE is probably the league's best left-back this season as well and a top player.

What bothers me about Pardew the most isn't the long ball tactics, or his handling of Ben Arfa. There are points for and against those arguments, and we can be here all day hashing them out.

What I find most irritating, if not worrying, is what I perceive as a lack of sincerity in the way he addresses the media and the fans. He has the look of a used car salesman/dodgy chancer. A shiny gold incisor wouldn't look out of place in his gob. He is ineloquent, and often does not use proper English when speaking to the press, and for some reason it grinds on my nuts, and makes him sound out of his depth.

Maybe all that is trivial, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't have a good gut feeling about this guy in the long term. Absolutely no denying the great job he's done taking over mid-season last year, and making us a solid outfit. But he talks big, as if he thinks he can lead us onto bigger things, and for some reason when he does that it sits a little uneasy with me.

HawK, that's insanely negative man. We've made some good progress since relegation, making the right signings and signing existing players to long contracts, our best league position for ages, and you post something like that? Way over the top IMO.

I agree Ashley might never hire a manager who would challenge him, but that's just something we have to deal with and all the more reason to back Pardew.

I think some of these people forget that we were sitting a league below in dire straits only two years ago and were sitting in the bottom half when the man took the helm. They forget that he had to sell his most high profile player two or three weeks into his career here. Anything above seventh for this club, is a great result and it is ridiculous to act like Pardew had no part in this. I am not a supporter of some of the negative football he has employed, but at the same time, he completely changed the formation earlier in the season to give Ben Arfa room to operate. I think he is learning and adjusting and it is good to give him time in which to do so.