Alan Pardew

JH

Does anybody really think we sold Nolan and Barton because Pardew wanted to? Or was it those above him who made that decision?

I've always suspected Pardew was quite keen to get rid of Nolan, not so certain about Barton though.

Guest neesy111

Does anybody really think we sold Nolan and Barton because Pardew wanted to? Or was it those above him who made that decision?

I've always suspected Pardew was quite keen to get rid of Nolan, not so certain about Barton though.

I'd go along with this, though I suspect the club wanted the players committee to be dismantled.  Even S. Taylor said it couldn't continue like it was.

classic NO forum "debate" going on again:

Group A: results have been good, performances poor and ultimately that's likely to lead to poorer results unless pardew changes his tactics and selections in the long run...

Group B: we're 6th man, you can't criticize pardew for results, it's a disgrace to even think of that

Group A: agree that results are good, saying that in future they're likely to not be good anymore

Group B: but results are good, we're 6th man

repeat until pardew is fired

We have a seasons worth of performances that show little correlation between possession/domination & results in comparison to the importance of simply having a very strong defensive system and attackers that will do enough to get the points. If teams have a very hard time scoring against you & you are good at putting the ball in the net, you will win games against most sides. Pardew has put in place the defensive system that achieves that & bought the attackers that do the business the other side. In what way is it likely that this will suddenly stop working?

I wouldn't delegate that much praise on Pardew's doorstep, for systematically & deliberately targetting 'finishers' that are capable of killing sides with very few chances created in open play.

The team's genuine matchwinners are Ba, Ben Arfa and now Cisse - with special mention to Collo as an additional threat from set-pieces. And those attackers mentioned falls into the overall policy of identifying & pursuiing players whose current value has opportunistically slipped below their true market worth, and can be moved-on for a profit.

Arfa: damaged goods (at Marseille, prior to his loan) with his contract running into it's final two years. OM attempts to tout him (to bigger spending clubs, for a higher transfer fee) failed.

Ba: we cashed in on a contractual release clause.

Cisse: Freiburg's valuation far exceeds ours in the Summer, and we're appropriately rebuffed. Freiburg's table predicament changes later in the year (unexpectantly poor season) and the spectre of relegation forces an unexpected firesale of arguably their top asset, as they seek to reinforce the playing list (on a limited budget) for the post-Jan relegation fight .

While they're on our books , with Ba hopefully secured to a new deal, all three are capable of putting 40m, into the coffers, for outgoing transfer deals. HBA is the wildcard in that lot, if he fully realizes his potential and doesn't become distracted, namely by man-management issues.

The attacking trio in particular, thanks to their technique and athletic ability alone, are capable of scoring against the run-of-play. They'll survive in a turgid playing system of anti-football, on talent alone, but likewise we won't get the best out them over the long haul - just sporadic bursts. This type of Souness/Fat Sam/Kinnear/Pardew defensive anti-football goes against every principle they've been taught, and it will likely chip away at their morale over time. Ben Arfa has already made called-out Pardew's style of football, in that it goes against everything that he has been taught at Clairefontaine, by directly comparing it against & making reference to Brendan Rodger's pass-and-move football. They deserve better.

It's sucker-punch football which is being coached by Pardew, and those genuine match-winners with resale value (who can conjure a score out of nothing) in many of our narrow wins this season will be difficult to replace. Within the constraints of our budget, by consistently attempting to acquire this calibre of player on the cheap, top-6 finishes (let alone top half) is unsustainable. Ba's and Ben Arfa's don't grow trees for a combined transfer fee of less than 10m.

And it's a self-defeating style of play for any club hoping to develop raw talent from within the academy set-up, as the gulf in football coaching philosophies (between a more technical base at the academy level, and Pardew's) too wide a dividing gap. The Barcelona's, Ajax's and Arsenal's of the footballing world are consistent (re: their overall tactical philosophy) from academy to first team. Positive judgement is always passed on the rapidfire development once their youngsters are finally blooded into the first team picture. They look like seasoned already. Natural talent obviously has to be there, but the transition to first-team football is seamless. The gameplan and tactics are already entrenched, and that's thanks to having a consistent coaching & tactical mindset at all levels.

Agree with most of that. What's the thing about Ben Arfa and the style of football?

It was post-match after our first clash with Swansea, whether it was directly after or during the following week i can't specifically remember. He made mention of & admired Swansea's style of play, after they outpassed & outmoved us in that said match. It was the type pass-and-move footy that he was taught, back in his junior/academy days at Clarefontaine.

:thup: Interesting.

But judging by the type of football we've been playing this season it wouldn't make sense to get rid of either as they are both made for the long ball game, especially Nolan. I remember posting in this thread in the summer it would be interesting to see how Pardew would adapt to the new players being bought in as they were of a more technical nature. it seems to me he's really struggled to get any sort of style or fluency with the new guys which suggests they were brought in because they were good deals rather than because Pardew particularly wanted them.

Guest Deadmau5

How many more windows with Pardew promising one thing, and then getting something completely different do we need to confirm that its not him in charge of incomings?

I do think they listen to what he has to say and what he wants, but it ultimately comes down to whats available at a cut-price cost really. At least thats how I think it works.

Guest Shaun

I don't think Pardew has a say on who comes in or goes out. He might be in the room while it's discussed, he might say stuff, but ultimately I reckon he's got as much authority as you or I.

Mike Ashley should just make himself manager if that's the case.

How many more windows with Pardew promising one thing, and then getting something completely different do we need to confirm that its not him in charge of incomings?

I do think they listen to what he has to say and what he wants, but it ultimately comes down to whats available at a cut-price cost really. At least thats how I think it works.

You really are full of shit. Is there anything at all you actually like about Newcastle ?

I don't think Pardew has a say on who comes in or goes out. He might be in the room while it's discussed, he might say stuff, but ultimately I reckon he's got as much authority as you or I.

Mike Ashley should just make himself manager if that's the case.

If that's the case Mike Ashely shouldn't make himself the manager.

You really are full of shit. Is there anything at all you actually like about Newcastle ?

A well thought out reply.

You really are full of s***. Is there anything at all you actually like about Newcastle ?

Yours or mine ?

You really are full of s***. Is there anything at all you actually like about Newcastle ?

Yours or mine ?

:lol:

Group A: results have been good, performances poor and ultimately that's likely to lead to poorer results unless pardew changes his tactics and selections in the long run...

Group B: we're 6th man, you can't criticize pardew for results, it's a disgrace to even think of that

Group A: agree that results are good, saying that in future they're likely to not be good anymore

We have a seasons worth of performances that show little correlation between possession/domination & results in comparison to the importance of simply having a very strong defensive system and attackers that will do enough to get the points. If teams have a very hard time scoring against you & you are good at putting the ball in the net, you will win games against most sides. Pardew has put in place the defensive system that achieves that & bought the attackers that do the business the other side. In what way is it likely that this will suddenly stop working?

I wouldn't delegate that much praise on Pardew's doorstep, for systematically & deliberately targetting 'finishers' that are capable of killing sides with very few chances created in open play.

The team's genuine matchwinners are Ba, Ben Arfa and now Cisse - with special mention to Collo as an additional threat from set-pieces. And those attackers mentioned falls into the overall policy of identifying & pursuiing players whose current value has opportunistically slipped below their true market worth, and can be moved-on for a profit.

Arfa: damaged goods (at Marseille, prior to his loan) with his contract running into it's final two years. OM attempts to tout him (to bigger spending clubs, for a higher transfer fee) failed.

Cisse: Freiburg's valuation far exceeds ours in the Summer, and we're appropriately rebuffed. Freiburg's table predicament changes later in the year (unexpectantly poor season) and the spectre of relegation forces an unexpected firesale of arguably their top asset, as they seek to reinforce the playing list (on a limited budget) for the post-Jan relegation fight .

While they're on our books , with Ba hopefully secured to a new deal, all three are capable of putting 40m, into the coffers, for outgoing transfer deals. HBA is the wildcard in that lot, if he fully realizes his potential and doesn't become distracted, namely by man-management issues.

The attacking trio in particular, thanks to their technique and athletic ability alone, are capable of scoring against the run-of-play. They'll survive in a turgid playing system of anti-football, on talent alone, but likewise we won't get the best out them over the long haul - just sporadic bursts. This type of Souness/Fat Sam/Kinnear/Pardew defensive anti-football goes against every principle they've been taught, and it will likely chip away at their morale over time. Ben Arfa has already made called-out Pardew's style of football, in that it goes against everything that he has been taught at Clairefontaine, by directly comparing it against & making reference to Brendan Rodger's pass-and-move football. They deserve better.

It's sucker-punch football which is being coached by Pardew, and those genuine match-winners with resale value (who can conjure a score out of nothing) in many of our narrow wins this season will be difficult to replace. Within the constraints of our budget, by consistently attempting to acquire this calibre of player on the cheap, top-6 finishes (let alone top half) is unsustainable. Ba's and Ben Arfa's don't grow trees for a combined transfer fee of less than 10m.

And it's a self-defeating style of play for any club hoping to develop raw talent from within the academy set-up, as the gulf in football coaching philosophies (between a more technical base at the academy level, and Pardew's) too wide a dividing gap. The Barcelona's, Ajax's and Arsenal's of the footballing world are consistent (re: their overall tactical philosophy) from academy to first team. Positive judgement is always passed on the rapidfire development once their youngsters are finally blooded into the first team picture. They look like seasoned already. Natural talent obviously has to be there, but the transition to first-team football is seamless. The gameplan and tactics are already entrenched, and that's thanks to having a consistent coaching & tactical mindset at all levels.

Agree with most of that. What's the thing about Ben Arfa and the style of football?

It was post-match after our first clash with Swansea, whether it was directly after or during the following week i can't specifically remember. He made mention of & admired Swansea's style of play, after they outpassed & outmoved us in that said match. It was the type pass-and-move footy that he was taught, back in his junior/academy days at Clarefontaine.

It's in my sig.

Surprised he said that as Swansea were awful against us and played probably their most 'defensive' game of the season - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16124233

Surprised he said that as Swansea were awful against us and played probably their most 'defensive' game of the season - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16124233

He said all this at the turn of the year, 4th of January I think. He was referring more to their style of play than their match against us. Using them as an example of how passing football can be executed.

It's in my sig.

I've got them turned off, somebody had a really annoying one and forced me into it.

Thing is they didnt, we completed dominated that match and Swansea hardly a shot on goal all game they was one of the most negative teams to come to SJP all season long.

Guest Howaythetoon

Swansea didn't threaten that game but on the ball they moved it well and kept possession well. They are clearly a good footballing side and we can only dream of playing the kind of football they do at this moment in time, despite the better players.

Swansea didn't threaten that game but on the ball they moved it well and kept possession well. They are clearly a good footballing side and we can only dream of playing the kind of football they do at this moment in time, despite the better players.

Only in last 15 mans when Tiote went off....... we had 65% possession for the first hour ffs they spent most of the game camped in thier own penalty area.

Wont deny they play miles better football than us but that game they didnt they parked the bus.

I thought they were one of the worst sides up here this season tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

They were not gash or one of the worst sides. They were not great but what they did was stifle us, keep the ball well enough and came away with a very good away point. I wouldn't mind us set up like that away from home. Bolton at home were much worse as were Wolves for long periods. NUFC have played much worse than Swansea did on our patch this season by the way and that's what's more galling.

They were not gash or one of the worst sides. They were not great but what they did was stifle us, keep the ball well enough and came away with a very good away point. I wouldn't mind us set up like that away from home. Bolton at home were much worse as were Wolves for long periods. NUFC have played much worse than Swansea did on our patch this season by the way and that's what's more galling.

They had 43% possession and 3 shots (none on target).  Compared to our 57% and 17 shots.  If we'd performed like that, you would be spitting feathers.

I remember they couldnt string two passes together and were constantly booting the ball out of play in the first half, in what o can only assume was panic. They were awful.

We havent played Bolton at home?