Alan Pardew

JH

Guest bimpy474

Can remember Roeder labelling him 'brilliant'. I know that managers do that anyway, for morale boosts and such, but he then proceeded to give him the captaincy in the absence of Parker/Butt - so he probably actually thought that. :lol:

Fucking couldn't stand Roeder like. I know i've opened this can of worms before, but there's only JFK who was a worse manager in that downward spiral, imo.

:snod:

Guest BooBoo

Roeder's ineptitude as a full time manager after his successful caretaker spell was one of the most crushingly predictable stories of our recent times. Still incredible that he managed us in the PL.

I seem to recall he spent the majority of his nearly full season, constantly complaining about injuries.

That's one of the things I like about Pards, very relly does he whine or moan and always tries to focus on positivity, even after poor defeats.

I thought Carr was actually decent at the beginning of his NUFC career. Then a combination of injuries/attitude issues on the pitch meant he was only ever going to go downhill.

Roeder's ineptitude as a full time manager after his successful caretaker spell was one of the most crushingly predictable stories of our recent times. Still incredible that he managed us in the PL.

I seem to recall he spent the majority of his nearly full season, constantly complaining about injuries.

That's one of the things I like about Pards, very relly does he whine or moan and always tries to focus on positivity, even after poor defeats.

Tbf to Roeder, Souness did this more often (with his "Lady Luck" s**** and all that).

Guest bimpy474

Pardew is good at that like, if there is an injury he highlights the opportunity for the player coming in, not focusing on the injury keeping the other player out.

Wasn't it just, man. So bloody predictable.

He could have reverted to his former role, or even moved on, after the 05/06 season. That way he'd have left as a cult hero; it was a sensational turnaround.

Instead he left as a bit of an embarrassment tbh. Shite manager who conducted himself pretty woefully in the press.

Guest BooBoo

Roeder did get us into europe after Souness left and was only in charge cos freddy couldn't be arsed to search out a decent candidate in the first place.

There's truth in that tbf. Fat Fred knew the coffers were running dry and Roeder was a cheap option. It rankled that Shepherd toasted his appointment with "we've given the fans the man they wanted!"

Roeder did get us into europe after Souness left and was only in charge cos freddy couldn't be arsed to search out a decent candidate in the first place.

Too true. The fact that Shepherd only gave him a two-year contract just proved that the board never had full confidence in the guy.

And although i'm nit-picking, he got us into the Intertoto Cup - which we failed to exit from. But it was a great turnaround considering the season we'd had up to then.

Guest BooBoo

Can anyone recall why Roeder left before the last game of the season. Seemed a bit odd that he wasn't just given that extra game (at Watford iirc)?

Guest Tyson

My sides, combining SBR and Pardew's players.

Hughes - Collo*/Distin - Woody - Bernard

Dyer - Tiote - Speed©**

HBA - Shearer***/Cisse - Bellamy/Robert****

*Collo just gets the nod over Distin. Distin's versatility (as a reluctant LB) is an asset to have on the bench.

** slightly more defensive minded  midfield balances out the many attacking threats elsewhere. Tiote provides muscle and a robust defensive presence. Speed offers outstanding game-reading quality in defense & one-touch passing (as a first receiver) to initiate counterattacks. Speed also offers a more dangerous presence from set-pieces than Cabaye. Dyer's  attacking instincts provide natural balance in the middle.

*** pre 03/04 Shearer gets the nod as the front three's pillar of strength. Back then he offered enough sideline-to-sideline mobility (and hold-up play) to bring the wide attackers into the game. Post 02/03 Shearer is omitted in a second scenario, in favour of a more mobile front three, with Cisse and Bellamy alternating in that withdrawn role in the L-side channel. **** Robert was occasionally used as withdrawn L-sided forward back in France. Long distance shooting & wild creativity are assets in a system that creates space for the withdrawn forwards. Ideal second option to have, behind Bellamy.

Unchanged back 4.

Solano* HBA - Dyer - Speed © - Robert

Shearer** Ba & Bellamy

*Solano just gets the nod over HBA. Solano's ability to find space in the box (around the far post) when balls are being pelted in from the left, at pace, is still invaluable. HBA is the right-sided impact sub, and would benefit greatly from having a balanced & overlapping RB to accompany him.

** Same applies to Shearer as per the 433 line-up. This time Ba is the  eventual & mobile replacement. Ba as a ball-carrier when combating an isolated CB through the middle (as Bellamy will drift out wide, looking to create) offers more danger in a one-on-one match-up than Cisse.

Can anyone recall why Roeder left before the last game of the season. Seemed a bit odd that he wasn't just given that extra game (at Watford iirc)?

Wasn't there a protest outside the ground after that Blackburn/Man City (i forget which) home game that we lost? He did 'resign' after all...

Guest BooBoo

I think you're right Yorkie. Just checked the record and I'd forgotten that after beating Liverpool 2-1 at home on 10th Feb we didn't score another home goal in the league that season. Five games including three 0-0 draws.

Wasn't it just, man. So bloody predictable.

He could have reverted to his former role, or even moved on, after the 05/06 season. That way he'd have left as a cult hero; it was a sensational turnaround.

Instead he left as a bit of an embarrassment tbh. Shite manager who conducted himself pretty woefully in the press.

I'll never forget that rant after the AZ implosion, about failure and not winning trophies being 'stitched into the badge' or something like that. Was so clear at that point he'd completely lost the plot. He should have just resigned after that game, was utterly embarrassing and the mistakes he made during it pretty much summed him up as a (full-time) Newcastle manager. Shite.

because allardyce had quit bolton a few days earlier and that's who shepherd had been after. clear in retrospect that roeder was just a temporary appointment.

Tbf to Roeder, Souness did this more often (with his "Lady Luck" s**** and all that).

Also, if I remember correctly we did have an unreal amount of injuries under Roeder.

Re: Pardew and not complaining about players missing: he actually refers to this in the LMA interview. Certainly one of his strengths.

Guest BooBoo

Pretty unforgivable that he clearly set up his side at Alkmaar to get a 0-0 draw. The fact that we capitulated 0-2 gifting AZ the exact result they needed to knock us out was, again, utterly predictable.

Pretty unforgivable that he clearly set up his side at Alkmaar to get a 0-0 draw. The fact that we capitulated 0-2 gifting AZ the exact result they needed to knock us out was, again, utterly predictable.

Possibly so, but if I remember correctly that home match vs AZ Alkmaar was one of the better performances in those horrible years. We played them of the park and should have finished it there and then.

Going out to AZ Alkmaar in this way and then to Sporting the year after (?) after being 1-0 up over there and needing them to score 3 (with Dyer coming off injured who was brilliant in that particular match) were very hard to take, as I felt on both occasions that we were in with a shout of actually winning a European cup..

Huntington gave one of the worst NUFC performances i can remember in that match. woefully out of his depth. pisses me off that we should've been out of sight in the first leg but we got sloppy and lazy. a better, more authoritative manager would not have let that happen.

Guest bimpy474

Huntington gave one of the worst NUFC performances i can remember in that match. woefully out of his depth. pisses me off that we should've been out of sight in the first leg but we got sloppy and lazy. a better, more authoritative manager would not have let that happen.

Cant even blame the lad, a not good enough young centre back playing LB, just not fair on the boy.

In fairness to Huntington, he only played at left-back that night because Carr ducked out at the eleventh hour and allowed the lad to be completely hung out to dry. I remember he got 2/10 in the Chronicle the next day which was harsh as fuck considering the likes of Bramble and Dyer got 6 and 7 out of 10.

Guest BooBoo

It brutally signalled the end of that lad's career at the top level.