Alan Pardew

JH

I still have a small soft spot for Roeder. He's was diabolical once given the job full time (his stint as caretaker was brilliant though, simply because it vindicated everyone who had been abusing Souness) but I was so used to us being shit by that stage I was more or less immune to watching us plod through the season to our then regular bottom half finish. I suppose the fact he talked about himself in the third person (among other mental traits), shook the hand of a pitch invading Mackem during the 4-1 and didn't slag the club off upon his departure marks him out as one of the more tolerable managers we have had in recent times. I certainly won't get into an argument with those that hate him though, because I can understand why.

As for Carr he was utter shite. He'd had one stonking season at Spurs a few years earlier and his career had been on the wane ever since. My two main memories of him are backing off Timothy Atouba against Spurs, letting him push further and further into our half eventually allowing him to score and, along with Parker, swearing at the supporters during the defeat to Sheffield United. To be fair to Carr he apologised for that. Scotty Lionheart didn't though.

Guest BooBoo

Regarding Roeder's caretaker stint, I imagine our surge of good form was just riding a huge wave of relief that Souness had gone. The players seemed to be enjoying themselves and the fans were just buzzing that the nightmare Souey era had ended.

It was clear that once that euphoria had worn off, that Roeder's weaknesses as a manager would become apparent as he tried to exert his own influence on a mediocre squad.

Pretty unforgivable that he clearly set up his side at Alkmaar to get a 0-0 draw. The fact that we capitulated 0-2 gifting AZ the exact result they needed to knock us out was, again, utterly predictable.

Huntington gave one of the worst NUFC performances i can remember in that match. woefully out of his depth. pisses me off that we should've been out of sight in the first leg but we got sloppy and lazy. a better, more authoritative manager would not have let that happen.

It brutally signalled the end of that lad's career at the top level.

He should've never had one in the first place.

Some of the backlines we put out around this period are genuinely frightening to look at. By rights we should've got relegated with the likes of Huntington, Ramage, Babayaro, Bramble, Moore and Edgar pushing for starts.

Guest BooBoo

It was a relegation squad but we had unexpected goals from Sibierski and to be fair, Oba had his moments.

As a squad, I would say it was weaker than the relegation squad, but the chaos surrounding the 08/09 season sunk that team. If KK had stayed, that squad could have finished top half.

Regarding Roeder's caretaker stint, I imagine our surge of good form was just riding a huge wave of relief that Souness had gone. The players seemed to be enjoying themselves and the fans were just buzzing that the nightmare Souey era had ended.

It was clear that once that euphoria had worn off, that Roeder's weaknesses as a manager would become apparent as he tried to exert his own influence on a mediocre squad.

Some of the performances under Roeder were fucking dirge. I remember a 1-0 defeat at Reading where he finally got to play Owen (and the returning Shola), having harped on about the unavailability of the pair of them since the opening weeks of the season, and we looked promptly worse than when they weren't playing, which is saying a lot. Can remember Steven Taylor's shot into Row Z from 35 yards and a blatantly offside Owen goal being all we created in 90 minutes. Was totally fed up by then.

Some of the performances under Roeder were fucking dirge. I remember a 1-0 defeat at Reading where he finally got to play Owen (and the returning Shola), having harped on about the unavailability of the pair of them since the opening weeks of the season, and we looked probably worse than when they weren't playing. Can remember Steven Taylor's shot into Row Z from 35 yards and a blatantly offside Owen goal being all we created in 90 minutes. Was totally fed up by then.

I remember the Sky cameras panning onto our dugout to see Roeder and Terry Mac slumped right down in their seats, arms crossed looking complete devoid of ideas. A pretty telling image :lol:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Some of the performances under Roeder were fucking dirge. I remember a 1-0 defeat at Reading where he finally got to play Owen (and the returning Shola), having harped on about the unavailability of the pair of them since the opening weeks of the season, and we looked promptly worse than when they weren't playing, which is saying a lot. Can remember Steven Taylor's shot into Row Z from 35 yards and a blatantly offside Owen goal being all we created in 90 minutes. Was totally fed up by then.

Was awful that. We played some bizzare diamond formation with Sibierski in the hole.

Some of the performances under Roeder were fucking dirge. I remember a 1-0 defeat at Reading where he finally got to play Owen (and the returning Shola), having harped on about the unavailability of the pair of them since the opening weeks of the season, and we looked probably worse than when they weren't playing. Can remember Steven Taylor's shot into Row Z from 35 yards and a blatantly offside Owen goal being all we created in 90 minutes. Was totally fed up by then.

I remember the Sky cameras panning onto our dugout to see Roeder and Terry Mac slumped right down in their seats, arms crossed looking complete devoid of ideas. A pretty telling image :lol:

Yeah was just gonna mention that. Think it was Pearson though. Roeder was leaning forward with a plastic cup of coffee and Pearson was just laid on his seat. :lol: I was absolutely fucking irate.

Wasn't unlike this image, from the 1-5 Birmingham FA Cup fiasco:

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/73024714.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDFA80F614D91E583A7AD87878CDCB98D79D2BF6A525AC21BAE30A760B0D811297

Souness was the worst of all our managers post-SBR because he destroyed a top 4 team for no particular reason. All the other managers since have had their faults - especially the likes of Kinnear and Roeder - but they all came in to situations where things were much tougher and the outlook was bleaker. Souness came in with the team brimming - absolutely brimming - with young talent and he decided to dismantle it by alienating our best player - Bellamy - and then came out and said something stupid like 'youngsters are shit' and sat players like Milner on the bench. He also sold Robert when he still had a good season or two in him and threw away 50m on complete shite. Honestly, Souness is the worst manager I've seen in my lifetime. Dalglish gets a big nomination for that title too but our finances were different at that time but Souness came into an envious position and completely fucked it up.

Souness was the worst of all our managers post-SBR because he destroyed a top 4 team for no particular reason. All the other managers since have had their faults - especially the likes of Kinnear and Roeder - but they all came in to situations where things were much tougher and the outlook was bleaker. Souness came in with the team brimming - absolutely brimming - with young talent and he decided to dismantle it by alienating our best player - Bellamy - and then came out and said something stupid like 'youngsters are shit' and sat players like Milner on the bench. He also sold Robert when he still had a good season or two in him and threw away 50m on complete shite. Honestly, Souness is the worst manager I've seen in my lifetime. Dalglish gets a big nomination for that title too but our finances were different at that time but Souness came into an envious position and completely fucked it up.

The heart aches just reading all that, as it's bang on. Souey and "King Kenny aye" set us back decades. Well, almost a decade, in the case of Souey.

PROPER PLAYERS.

4 isn't too bad, you make it sound like we were 10 points adrift. I'm trying to make the point that the whole SBR sacking thing was terribly handled, needless to say.

Anyways, the worms have well and truly broken through the can :lol:.

I don't know if I wanna go down this road anymore. Let's stop at Souness being sh1t.

We bought Bowyer just after finishing 3rd actually.

Good point (memory). It's the reason we finished 5th then :D

Either way, the SBR-tinted glasses are not coming off these eyes. He could've handled that bling-generation differently, yes, and kept a measure of control over them, but the players are to blame just as much for the backroom disintegration.

I remember Kieron Dyer saying he regrets his attitude under SBR and how he was like a father to him, etc.

Souness saying that all our young players were shite was a catastrophic move, particularly when the injury crisis hit and he'd then turn to the likes of Chopra, Brittain and Milner on the bench to try and get the supposed senior stars out of the clarts. What a fucking tit the man was.

Dunno why Dyer is in anyone's combined team at centre mid like. No doubting his ability but he wasnt consistent enough to warrant a centre midfield slot under SBR for a prolonged period hence why he was pushed out to the wings/upfront, thus causing him to have a strop.

Glenn Roeder ruined by 18th birthday.  Woeful 1-0 loss at home to Sheff Utd.

Don't remember this like, thought it was 0-0? Sure it was after the Palermo game?

Yes it was, but we lost.  Danny Webber scored.  We were fucking appalling.  It pissed it down.  Thankfully I got bladdered on the night time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6094108.stm