Alan Pardew

JH

Got to say, it was quite puzzling to see him deploy a 4-4-2. The 4-3-3 has been working brilliantly recently so don't really know why he felt the need to change the system today. I guess Pardew was trying to counteract the 5 in midfield for Bolton? Still though, we were well below par in the first half today. We weren't too bad but we were by no means good - could be down to fatigue from playing two games in such a short space of time or could be down to the tactics, I don't really know (could have even been a bit of both!).

Pardew made the correct substitutions and at the right time though. Bringing Fergie on gave us that extra bit of energy we lacked in the first half and Ba was correctly substituted because he did look knackered and was ultimately not too much of a threat (unfortunately). All in all though, it was a fantastic result so I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure we'll see the 4-3-3 back in action for Stoke btw. In the meantime, time for a nice rest for the players.

Can I change my poll vote to brilliant please?

By no means perfect, the 4-4-2 seemed to have a negative impact today but I don't think you can dispute he has had a brilliant season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

No

No

s*** manager, jobs for the boys if he really is one of Ashleys mates

f***ing disgusting

Soz Al

Can I change my poll vote to brilliant please?

By no means perfect, the 4-4-2 seemed to have a negative impact today but I don't think you can dispute he has had a brilliant season.

No doubt about it, he's done a phenomenal job this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

His team lineup and tactics were all wrong from the start although understandable (4-4-2) given the absence of Tiote and even Guthrie, which didn't exactly help us. Indeed we were all over the place in terms of personel and shape in the first half. Ba was far too far apart from Cisse and played deep centrally rather than on the left. Cabaye was none existsent in the centre too and seemed to occupy a more narrow wide left role or again, a deeper role just atop of Colo. As a result we lost the midfield battle to Bolton and at times looked long far too often, leaving Cisse in particular all isolated. This was the same old same old Pardew.

To his credit though, he recognised our faults and quickly made the right kind of changes to rectify things after the break, firstly removing Perch for Ferguson which gave us width and running down our left and by shifting Jonas centrally we suddenly had legs and ball carrying ability in there which in turn freed up Cabay. Secondly he brought on Shola for Ba who was having a very frustrating afternoon.

Most noticeably it seemed Shola was deployed right and Ben Arfa given a more free-er kind of role. Which he exploited perfectly with that amazing solo goal. Shola of course gave us height, strength and stickability out on the right of our side which Ben Arfa failed to provide in the first half. It was no suprise to see our second and the winning goal, come from that flank and through Shola.

We played a lot of long/hood ball today, but not anywhere near as much as we used to and we did at times, play some splendid football, so from a performance perspective, although not the best, still much better than for example what we served up at home to Norwich 4 games prior to this one.

Pardew got the team lineup and the tactics wrong in the first half but he got things right in the second half so full credit.

5 wins on the spin and joint level on points with Spurs with a top 4 place a serious ambition now you hope. One cannot complain, not when we are actually attempting to and in spells, playing decent football to boot.

Anyone know the standings for the golden glove, as I imagine Lindergaard (sp?) will have gotten a few of those clean sheets?

Lindegaard has kept 6 clean sheets according to the Fantasy Premier League website.

In the last 450 minutes of football we've conceded just one goal - the calamitous mix up between Williamson and Krul at West Brom. Top stuff, that.

We've scored ten in the same period. Pards: :clap:

In the last 450 minutes of football we've conceded just one goal - the calamitous mix up between Williamson and Krul at West Brom. Top stuff, that.

fair chunk of that with no Colo as well, more impressive

Very impressive indeed.

not that impressive, we haven't played anyone yet.

Very impressive indeed.

What about Liverp-

wait

Pardew got the team lineup and the tactics wrong in the first half but he got things right in the second half so full credit.

not really, we actually got worse and were being ripped open at the back in the 2nd half and really should've gone a goal down. not having a go, but we definitely rode our luck somewhat. was just one of those games where for various reasons we didn't click but we were still in it towards the end and individual brilliance turned it for us. that's the benefit of having sheer quality going forward.

Very impressive indeed.

Good point, when we keep a clean sheet against Everton at Goodison then we know we are doing something right.

Until then though its just a fluke.

Very impressive indeed.

Good point, when we keep a clean sheet against Everton at Goodison then we know we are doing something right.

Until then though its just a fluke.

even then, who've we played really ?