Alan Pardew

JH

We've benefited from Liverpool being worse than expected, Chelsea similarly no doubt, some leagues when the top four all were winning most games we may be struggling with the games we did lose. That said we've equalled Spur's points from last season for 5th place. However 62 would only get us 8th season before...

We've benefited from Liverpool being worse than expected, Chelsea similarly no doubt, some leagues when the top four all were winning most games we may be struggling with the games we did lose. That said we've equalled Spur's points from last season for 5th place. However 62 would only get us 8th season before...

How've we benefited from Livepool being worse than expected? They finished on 58 points last season.

I think they appointed Pardew because he's a media darling, and because he would be a yes-man - counting his lucky chickens that he ever got a gig like Newcastle United. I believe that he was brought in to keep us ticking over on the pitch, and make a bridge between the boardroom and the supporters... until they sold it. I still reckon Pardew was lined up well before Hughton got the boot n'all; either that or it's a total mad coincidence that Golfmag was going on about it two months prior to the sacking.

Call that cynical if you want; it probably is, but i refuse to believe that - after sacking Hughton - they (or anyone) believed that Pardew was brought in to take us to the 'next level' (ie, European competition).

Fortunately, it's worked out very well and - with the foundation of an excellent scouting network - Pardew has turned into an excellent appointment not only from a PR perspective, but from a footballing one as well.

Whether or not they still have intentions to sell the club is up in the air. Our surprising success might have just altered their long-term mentality.

Whey that just sounds like a load of negative bollocks to me, sorry. They'd need the club to be a damn sight better than stumbling around the lower reaches of the table if Ashley were ever to sell the club and get any sort of decent money for it.

But even if that was the plan, why would they need to take the risk and replace Hughton so as to keep things sweet with the supporters/media while keeping the club up on a shoestring? That is ultimately exactly what Hughton was doing for them.

I think they appointed Pardew because he's a media darling, and because he would be a yes-man - counting his lucky chickens that he ever got a gig like Newcastle United. I believe that he was brought in to keep us ticking over on the pitch, and make a bridge between the boardroom and the supporters... until they sold it. I still reckon Pardew was lined up well before Hughton got the boot n'all; either that or it's a total mad coincidence that Golfmag was going on about it two months prior to the sacking.

Call that cynical if you want; it probably is, but i refuse to believe that - after sacking Hughton - they (or anyone) believed that Pardew was brought in to take us to the 'next level' (ie, European competition).

Fortunately, it's worked out very well and - with the foundation of an excellent scouting network - Pardew has turned into an excellent appointment not only from a PR perspective, but from a footballing one as well.

Whether or not they still have intentions to sell the club is up in the air. Our surprising success might have just altered their long-term mentality.

Whey that just sounds like a load of negative bollocks to me, sorry. They'd need the club to be a damn sight better than stumbling around the lower reaches of the table if Ashley were ever to sell the club and get any sort of decent money for it.

But even if that was the plan, why would they need to take the risk and replace Hughton so as to keep things sweet with the supporters/media while keeping the club up on a shoestring? That is ultimately exactly what Hughton was doing for them.

That's fair do's. I can appreciate why you would think that, given the form we are in. But it's what i thought at the time (aided by Golfmag P.I), and our form hasn't changed that. I'll always think the manner of his appointment was a bit iffy.

Think he started getting 'too big for his boots' so to speak. I honestly think that while the togetherness helped us back up, the board didn't look forward to the likes of Barton, Nolan having such big sway and Hughton being happy with that. Also said at the time that I think Hughton was starting to believe in himself more and wasn't being as much of a 'yes man' as Ashley/Llambias had hoped. Pure speculation on my part ofc but just my own view of it.

I know our squad is hardly brimming with talent but there are some good players there who have stuck with us when they probably shouldn't have, and players who plenty of other clubs would want. IMO we're staring down the barrel of a Souness-style demolition of the team, squad and possibly club here.

I'm not pulling out this quote to pick on Dave or anything; it just highlights what a low ebb we thought his appointment was - summarises perfectly the negative feeling towards the change. I didn't think any differently to this.

Absolutely astonishing how it has all panned out. And as much as i love Pardew, i'd still maintain that his appointment is a fluke.

A fluke in what respect, he turned out better than expected?

I think they did their homework on this one just the way they target players now. There was an earlier article where it was revealed that Pardew was Llambias's choice and he put the name forward to Ashley.

They desperately needed to get it right, and as we sit here in 4th position with an apparently great team spirit you'd have to say they succeeded.

Fluke?

I know our squad is hardly brimming with talent but there are some good players there who have stuck with us when they probably shouldn't have, and players who plenty of other clubs would want. IMO we're staring down the barrel of a Souness-style demolition of the team, squad and possibly club here.

I'm not pulling out this quote to pick on Dave or anything; it just highlights what a low ebb we thought his appointment was - summarises perfectly the negative feeling towards the change. I didn't think any differently to this.

Absolutely astonishing how it has all panned out. And as much as i love Pardew, i'd still maintain that his appointment is a fluke.

A fluke in what respect, he turned out better than expected?

I think they did their homework on this one just the way they target players now. There was an earlier article where it was revealed that Pardew was Llambias's choice and he put the name forward to Ashley.

They desperately needed to get it right, and as we sit here in 4th position with an apparently great team spirit you'd have to say they succeeded.

Fluke?

Yeah, by enormous proportions. His track record was gash and many people thought we'd have got relegated.

Obviously i can't deny that it's been a success, and i haven't.

I think it's a bit of a myth this "gash track record" business. He did very well at Reading, took West Ham from the Championship to the top 10 and seconds away from an FA Cup win. Charlton were a mess when he took over, and at Southampton he just missed out on the Play-Offs despite a 10 point deduction, and he'd just won their 3rd league game of the season 4-0 before he was sacked.

That's fair do's. I can appreciate why you would think that, given the form we are in. But it's what i thought at the time (aided by Golfmag P.I), and our form hasn't changed that. I'll always think the manner of his appointment was a bit iffy.

Our form, as you say, has nowt to do with it and hasn't changed my opinion in the slightest. That Golfmag had a heads up on the appointment if anything suggests even less of a fluke - that the club had put a fair bit of time and thought into the appointment. If they only thought Pardew would do the bare minimum, how on earth would that help them get the fans and media back on side enough to attract buyers? It just doesn't make sense.

Replacing Hughton was a risk not worth taking if they were just looking for a way out, and a 5 year contract for the new man strikes me as pretty unattractive to a buyer as well. They brought in someone who they could work with, and the effect on the media, fans, and prospective buyers was secondary. It suggested a new direction and as the trust built, Pardew got them to invest and push on with captures like Cabaye, Santon, and Cisse. If that continues (yeah, yeah, I know :lol:) then hopefully they're not just the jammy bastards that understandably some see them as. :thup:

How've we benefited from Livepool being worse than expected? They finished on 58 points last season.

Fair point but think even I thought they'd be closer to the top than they are.

Of course it's a myth. :lol:

Well, could be read in different ways, but it certainly wasn't totally gash. Took a good deal of solace in it and what some of his old clubs supporters said after he was appointed which helped me start to get behind him a bit.

/I seemed to have very different mates to HTT's Hammer and Charlton friends thankfully. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

And my bairn's winning streak since he was born... Played 6 and won them arl.

Oh look at me, I've never seen the Toon lose...pathetic.

:lol:

Good record though.

HTT, you changed your mind about Pardew?

Nope. He is now doing the things I've been asking of him and his team are now doing the things I always believed they were capable of if should Pardew change his ways, which he has done and massive credit to him. All my criticisms of him were all correct at the time and justified though, as is any praise I give him now, which he deserves and then sum. If we finish top 4 and qualify for the CL and start next season playing how we are now, I will happily admit that I was wrong to say he was not good enough or going to take us to where this kind of team can go, which is, of course, the CL or certainly comepting for it which we ARE doing so as things stands, I'm wrong on that front. I wasnt wrong with my criticisms at the time though and if anything I should be writing, I told yous so, because I stated time and time again just what this team could achieve in terms of performances if Pardew just trusted his players more, started selecting the right players (Ben Arfa for example), in the right lineup and ditched the long ball. Since he started doing that it is no coincidence we've been playing better football and getting better results. That and of course, the birth of my son, being another key factor ;)

What Pardew does deserve special praise for his Jonas, a very brave decision and a tactical masterstroke of KK and Owen type proportions. Cisse is on fire and Ben Arfa is amazing, but Jonas playing centrally or rather withdrawn in a narrow more central role, has solidified our midfield and allowed Cabaye to play further forward and HE is our real playmaker, never mind Ben Arfa, he's the match winner, its Cabaye who can if allowed, pulls all the strings.

Pardew also deserves massive credit for our so-called lesser players like Perch et al coming in whenever called upon and doing a damned fine job, that's down to Pardew's attention to detail and match preparation and of course man management skills.

Never in my life following NUFC has all of our lesser players have all to a man played key roles this season. Williamson, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Guthrie, Perch, Shola, all tagged as championship players in the past by a good few on here including myself. Pardew has made them key members of the squad and had a major positive impact on their own individual games.

What utter shite, how can you expect a club who are only one season into the top flight (and largely expected to be lower mid-table at best) to start playing confident, passing football with a newly built team?

You're living in dream world if you expect 4 new signings to instantly gel and perform as a unit every week - where are they supposed to get the confidence from to express themselves in the first part of the season? The Pardew masterplan was obvious from the start, he wanted to get points on the board to ensure we hit our first target (Prem safety) and then take it from there.

That the players (and Pardew's tactics) overachieved in the first two-thirds of the season has allowed him and the players the freedom and confidence to reach their potential, which is the controlled, attacking football we've been showing in the past few weeks.

At this level, there's not a great deal of difference in players' conditioning, 90% of the players are of the same technical level, so it is confidence and mentality that plays such an important part on how a team performs.

Guest Howaythetoon

What utter s****, how can you expect a club who are only one season into the top flight (and largely expected to be lower mid-table at best) to start playing confident, passing football with a newly built team?

We need to stop this new to the top-flight crap, there is no excuse for some of the negative long ball crap we've served up this season which was in the main down to the manager's tactics, team selections and negative approach to the game. As for carpet football, no-one expected that, not me anyway, I didn't expect the calibre of players we do have in our side to struggle to play some possession football though which they did. Now that isn't the case and myself and others have been vindicated. I always thought we could play good attacking football from the off and we are doing that.

As for a new team, bollocks, only Ba, Cabaye and Obertan were regularly in the side, hardly a brand new team as you put it - 3 players man.

What utter s****, how can you expect a club who are only one season into the top flight (and largely expected to be lower mid-table at best) to start playing confident, passing football with a newly built team?

We need to stop this new to the top-flight crap, there is no excuse for some of the negative long ball crap we've served up this season which was in the main down to the manager's tactics, team selections and negative approach to the game. As for carpet football, no-one expected that, not me anyway, I didn't expect the calibre of players we do have in our side to struggle to play some possession football though which they did. Now that isn't the case and myself and others have been vindicated. I always thought we could play good attacking football from the off and we are doing that.

As for a new team, bollocks, only Ba, Cabaye and Obertan were regularly in the side, hardly a brand new team as you put it - 3 players man.

Oh, so we have you to thank for our current form and style? I'm so glad that you pointed out to the rest of us idiots how poor we were playing previously.

One "blip" in form aside, we have been outstanding all season. There is simply no excuse for picking the bones out of Pardew's performance this season, other than sheer negativity or a simple case of being afraid to admit that you were wrong.

Even when we were playing "poorer" football, i had no doubt that we would come through the other side. Not because i'm some know-all, but because i totally understood what Pardew was trying to do and i had confidence in it.

I'm glad Pards has repaid my faith and i hope now that you too, will have the bollocks to place your faith in him.

Oh, so we have you to thank for our current form and style? I'm so glad that you pointed out to the rest of us idiots how poor we were playing previously.

One "blip" in form aside, we have been outstanding all season. There is simply no excuse for picking the bones out of Pardew's performance this season, other than sheer negativity or a simple case of being afraid to admit that you were wrong.

Even when we were playing "poorer" football, i had no doubt that we would come through the other side. Not because i'm some know-all, but because i totally understood what Pardew was trying to do and i had confidence in it.

I'm glad Pards has repaid my faith and i hope now that you too, will have the bollocks to place your faith in him.

Well said that man. :clap:

Guest bimpy474

HTT has handled the Pardew critique in a similar way to how Dalglish handled the Suarez affair.

Harsh  :laugh:

Guest bimpy474

What I meant was there comes a time to hold your hands up (in a badass manner) and accept you were wrong.

Well if he plops his head on a plate like John the Baptist, reckon that'll cover it. :D