Alan Pardew

JH

To win by 3 goals flattered Chelsea like, but we were lucky they didn't score more. I think both sides hit the woodword 3-4 times each :lol:

I hope Sturridge doesn't play at the bridge.

Krul saved a pen as well.

I think Santon would defend better against Sturridge than Raylor did that day.  And IIRC, Jonas didn't play that day and didn't give that extra cover that Raylor needs.

pardew's done a great job this season, and i don't think there was ever a time this season where he was doing poorly at all. but every manager has their decisions scrutinised, including alex ferguson and his team is sitting atop the premiership table at the minute. the forum may as well shut down if we ever reach the day where we do not approve of discussing the ins and outs of what a manager is doing.

the thing is there's a difference between pointed criticism, tactical suggestions and analysis, and blind dislike or wanting someone sacked.

95% of the critical discussion this season - whether it's been about playing obertan, hoofing it up to best, utlising cisse as a targetman vs the mackems, not getting cabaye and tiote to gel etc have fitted the former category. as have the opposite opinions when he does something special that deserves praise, whether it be grinding out results when we're not playing well, shifting to a 4-3-3, making colo captain, or bringing in great players. some excellent debates have been had in this very thread on the above subjects this season.

it's a tiny minority in the 5% who went too far and acted like idiots - and i include HTT in that.

the past few games have turned our season from a good one where we've formed a great squad and overachieved slightly, to a superb one with a great squad that has overachieved massively. if we maintain this position he deserves to be up there with robson and keegan imo. unlike keegan he might not have a set philosophy in terms of playing style, but he's perhaps a bit more like robson, a pragmatist who takes each game as it comes.

Spot on as usual. There have been a lot of valid criticisms and discussion points, it never got daft barring a very few exceptions. In fact I actually think this has been one of the best threads this season because nearly all of the content was well balanced and argued. Despite our results and position, Pardew had questions asked about his selections, tactics and style of play (some of which were prompted by his own comments in the media) and he has answered them emphatically in the run-in. Dunno why some are so preoccupied with point-scoring.

I think you're underplaying the level of criticism he was getting at times. You only have to go back to the Norwich game we won & Cisse missed two sitters in:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,72878.21275.html

You can count 4 or 5 different people suggesting he shouldnt even be our manager within the first 3 pages after a game we won to keep us in 6th man. It was ludicrous stuff. Only a few of us were actually backing him up at that point, the majority were not.

The media will take any excuse to raise the idea of discontentment amongst our fans, let alone when we're doing well. If the criticism had gotten stronger & been held by more, you dont think that could have affected our season? I think it could have.

Guest bimpy474

Chelsea would never have created many of those chances if they were down to 10 men as they should rightly have been.

Not that it matters now mind.

Guest neesy111

To win by 3 goals flattered Chelsea like, but we were lucky they didn't score more. I think both sides hit the woodword 3-4 times each :lol:

I hope Sturridge doesn't play at the bridge.

Krul saved a pen as well.

I think Santon would defend better against Sturridge than Raylor did that day.  And IIRC, Jonas didn't play that day and didn't give that extra cover that Raylor needs.

Lovenkrands offered zero protection to Raylor that day, though Raylor was 'raped' by Sturridge that day mind.

Chelsea would never have created many of those chances if they were down to 10 men as they should rightly have been.

Not sure how its relevant anyway, both sides are completely different now, to what they were then.....

We play a completely different system, players confident and in form..... theres no reason why we cant go there and get something.

and if we do Chelsea will be practically out of the race for 4th and then only spurs would be left and considering they are sinking faster than the titanic they might be out of it too or atleast close to be out of it.

pardew's done a great job this season, and i don't think there was ever a time this season where he was doing poorly at all. but every manager has their decisions scrutinised, including alex ferguson and his team is sitting atop the premiership table at the minute. the forum may as well shut down if we ever reach the day where we do not approve of discussing the ins and outs of what a manager is doing.

the thing is there's a difference between pointed criticism, tactical suggestions and analysis, and blind dislike or wanting someone sacked.

95% of the critical discussion this season - whether it's been about playing obertan, hoofing it up to best, utlising cisse as a targetman vs the mackems, not getting cabaye and tiote to gel etc have fitted the former category. as have the opposite opinions when he does something special that deserves praise, whether it be grinding out results when we're not playing well, shifting to a 4-3-3, making colo captain, or bringing in great players. some excellent debates have been had in this very thread on the above subjects this season.

it's a tiny minority in the 5% who went too far and acted like idiots - and i include HTT in that.

the past few games have turned our season from a good one where we've formed a great squad and overachieved slightly, to a superb one with a great squad that has overachieved massively. if we maintain this position he deserves to be up there with robson and keegan imo. unlike keegan he might not have a set philosophy in terms of playing style, but he's perhaps a bit more like robson, a pragmatist who takes each game as it comes.

Spot on as usual. There have been a lot of valid criticisms and discussion points, it never got daft barring a very few exceptions. In fact I actually think this has been one of the best threads this season because nearly all of the content was well balanced and argued. Despite our results and position, Pardew had questions asked about his selections, tactics and style of play (some of which were prompted by his own comments in the media) and he has answered them emphatically in the run-in. Dunno why some are so preoccupied with point-scoring.

I think you're underplaying the level of criticism he was getting at times. You only have to go back to the Norwich game we won & Cisse missed two sitters in:

You can count 4 or 5 different people suggesting he shouldnt even be our manager within the first 3 pages after a game we won to keep us in 6th man. It was ludicrous stuff. Only a few of us were actually backing him up at that point, the majority were not.

The media will take any excuse to raise the idea of discontentment amongst our fans, let alone when we're doing well. If the criticism had gotten stronger & been held by more, you dont think that could have affected our season? I think it could have.

Woah, 4 or 5 people suggesting stuff. How harsh. We were fucking awful in that game, that's a fact. At no point were people seriously calling for him to be sacked, and that includes at the ground.

There's also a post from you suggesting we can't play football with Williamson in the side btw and that 'Its got nowt to do with Pardew'. I guess it's nowt to do with Pardew that we've played some brilliant stuff in the last few games with the same players on the park then?

Just remembered Redknapp's mockery when Pardew counted himself out of the running for the England job, would make it even sweeter if we finished above Spurs.  Well tbf it's just fantastic that we've got Redknapp scared to death regardless of whether we finish 4th or not.

It's Sugar I remember piping up with similar mockery, when all Pardew was doing was answering questions the press had asked him.

Guest bimpy474

Not sure how its relevant anyway, both sides are completely different now, to what they were then.....

We play a completely different system, players confident and in form..... theres no reason why we cant go there and get something.

and if we do Chelsea will be practically out of the race for 4th and then only spurs would be left and considering they are sinking faster than the titanic they might be out of it too or atleast close to be out of it.

True, two very different teams now, seeing as they have the FA Cup 3 days later they may field a weaker team, and with us playing so well too, fielding a weaker team might matter anyway, were mint at the moment.

Only a few of us were actually backing him up at that point, the majority were not.

Are you suggesting that you and your merry band held our season together by sticking your heads in the sand ? :lol:

I've heard it all now.

The Chelsea game was horrible in so many ways. They should definately have had David Luiz sent off early on for that foul on Ba, then we create loads of chances, hit the woodwork etc. We really forced them to defend second half until Taylor went off and they scored two when we had no defenders at all.

Woah, 4 or 5 people suggesting stuff. How harsh. We were f***ing awful in that game, that's a fact. At no point were people seriously calling for him to be sacked, and that includes at the ground.

There's also a post from you suggesting we can't play football with Williamson in the side btw and that 'Its got nowt to do with Pardew'. I guess it's nowt to do with Pardew that we've played some brilliant stuff in the last few games with the same players on the park then?

Be serious. The poll at that time had around a third of people voting that hed been less than "good"  :lol: It was many more than 4 or 5, though that should have been obvious. As i say you're downplaying it, probably because you had a similar viewpoint.

The first half of that game we werent awful, some people said it was the best attacking football we'd played all season at one point of that half. After wasting chances & the pressure built they came back into it....and we held on to win. Like we nearly always had every other time to get points on the board in a similar manner.

Where do i say we cant play football with williamson? I said he does it through choice, not tactical approach.

You didnt answer my question anyway, you dont think that could have affected our season if more people had made those views known as strongly as on here?

Dont get me wrong, Pardew has done an excellent job this season, but I still dont think he should be free of criticism for his management in many games this season. He has been moronic, and while some stuff has taken time to readress I think he deserves credit for learning from most of his earlier mistakes. He is not a perfect manager, although he has proven to be very good this season.

Whole club deserves credit though, even Fat Ashley.

Even if some people were over critical of Pardew (in match threads too/during matches ffs, even Ferguson gets criticized for decisions in match threads on RedCafe)

Why won't some people just move on and stop pathetically,and in the main; wrongly trying to point-score and even claim they are some sort of saviour of our season?

It's in the past. Were in 4th. Were playing exciting football in a system that suits our players. We've qualified for Europe.

Move on and let it die.

Only a few of us were actually backing him up at that point, the majority were not.

Are you suggesting that you and your merry band held our season together by sticking your heads in the sand ? :lol:

I've heard it all now.

Not sticking the boot in because you genuinely felt that that spell was not an accurate reflection on what Pardew was wanting to do is sticking your head in the sand? :lol:

I've heard it all now.

/I don't think anyone's saying he didn't deserve some criticism either for what it's worth, just that a lot of the criticism was way too black and white.

Even if some people were over critical of Pardew (in match threads too/during matches ffs, even Ferguson gets criticized for decisions in match threads on RedCafe)

Why won't some people just move on and stop pathetically,and in the main; wrongly trying to point-score and even claim they are some sort of saviour of our season?

It's in the past. Were in 4th. Were playing exciting football in a system that suits our players. We've qualified for Europe.

Move on and let it die.

:thup:

I for one never called for him to be sacked, on the contrary, I said I'm happy for him to continue. At the time when as a team we were playing poorly, and quite a few of us thought it was the end of the honeymoon where we were seemingly getting by on the quality of players alone rather than Pardew's management, I simply said that at, quite literally, he was a very limited manager without any nuance at all, who was very lucky given his past to have any job in the premier league, let alone Newcastle.

We discussed a change of system, how we thought a change of lineup and formation could be beneficial, whether it was 4-3-3 or or 8-1-1, but I wanted to see him trying, like Keegan did. Ronaldo explicitly shot me down on this.  I said his management style was a square pegs in round holes methodology, and until he adapted his tactics to the players we had then he would continue to be a limited manage who would limit our development as a club. I heavily criticized him for leaving Ben Arfa on the bench for as long as he did.  I always left it open in all my posts that if he did change, then that would be a marked improvement and I would be happy.

He has changed as a manager in my honest opinion and I even said that I think he or some advisors of his read this forum, because a lot of what we were saying seemed to take effect a few weeks later :) I am happy with him and happy for him to continue. Maybe the posts on anti-Pardew rants were not aimed at me, but it felt like many are criticizing posters for pointing out obvious mistakes in tactics during a period where it was make or break time for him and the players.

I am not looking for someone to quote me and go 'Oh look at Hawk he was right', and in saying this I am not tarring you all with a different brush when I say I am not a knee-jerker, but I do expect to be given the respect to air my views and opinions and not be retrospectively pigeon-holed as part of a group of people who wanted him sacked when I never said anything remotely close to that - and then treat in such a manner on my future posts as if I have no right to be happy about what Pardew is doing now.

Posted from my phone so please bear with the weird autocorrects if there are any.

Jesus wept.

Move on and let it die.

I've decided it's best to keep quiet on this as I do agree that point-scoring in the main is futile.  But, and it is a pretty big 'but', I have no doubt whatsoever that if the anti-Pardew people had been proved right, there would have been a lot of pretty smug people on here (even though it would have ultimately meant NUFC had failed). 

So I think the people who actually backed Pardew in the face of some pretty unwarranted and harsh criticism might be somewhat keen to point this out.

I for one never called for him to be sacked, on the contrary, I said I'm happy for him to continue. At the time when as a team we were playing poorly, and quite a few of us thought it was the end of the honeymoon where we were seemingly getting by on the quality of players alone rather than Pardew's management, I simply said that at, quite literally, he was a very limited manager without any nuance at all, who was very lucky given his past to have any job in the premier league, let alone Newcastle.

We discussed a change of system, how we thought a change of lineup and formation could be beneficial, whether it was 4-3-3 or or 8-1-1, but I wanted to see him trying, like Keegan did. Ronaldo explicitly shot me down on this.  I said his management style was a square pegs in round holes methodology, and until he adapted his tactics to the players we had then he would continue to be a limited manage who would limit our development as a club. I heavily criticized him for leaving Ben Arfa on the bench for as long as he did.  I always left it open in all my posts that if he did change, then that would be a marked improvement and I would be happy.

He has changed as a manager in my honest opinion and I even said that I think he or some advisors of his read this forum, because a lot of what we were saying seemed to take effect a few weeks later :) I am happy with him and happy for him to continue. Maybe the posts on anti-Pardew rants were not aimed at me, but it felt like many are criticizing posters for pointing out obvious mistakes in tactics during a period where it was make or break time for him and the players.

I am not looking for someone to quote me and go 'Oh look at Hawk he was right', and in saying this I am not tarring you all with a different brush when I say I am not a knee-jerker, but I do expect to be given the respect to air my views and opinions and not be retrospectively pigeon-holed as part of a group of people who wanted him sacked when I never said anything remotely close to that - and then treat in such a manner on my future posts as if I have no right to be happy about what Pardew is doing now.

Posted from my phone so please bear with the weird autocorrects if there are any.

i've possibly been amongst the longest in calling for something different from 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 but i wouldn't claim that 'i was right'. we've built a platform of hard work and being hard to beat, that has permeated through the team to give us the ability to play a more expansive game. i can understand what pardew has done and it's worked. only a fool would say we'd have been better off if we'd tried to go the way we have recently, earlier, we just don't know and there are certainly good arguments why it could possibly have backfired.

Move on and let it die.

I've decided it's best to keep quiet on this as I do agree that point-scoring in the main is futile.  But, and it is a pretty big 'but', I have no doubt whatsoever that if the anti-Pardew people had been proved right, there would have been a lot of pretty smug people on here (even though it would have ultimately meant NUFC had failed). 

So I think the people who actually backed Pardew in the face of some pretty unwarranted and harsh criticism might be somewhat keen to point this out.

I always felt my position was quite hard to take actually. If I was 'proved right' that Pardew could not change his mentality/approach that means that we as a club would not have improved(performance and results-wise) as we have.

I can only speak for myself,but, being a Newcastle fan, I certainly would not point score about Newcastle doing badly.