Alan Pardew

JH

There is no 'old' Pardew, isn't it possible he has more flexibility and ability to learn/adapt than you gave him credit for?

That is one thing that annoys me, it almost seems like a criticism or at least a patronising pat of the back that our performances have gotten better (despite us doing well all season) 'Well at least he has finally seen the light..'.

This is whats laughable about it. Its no new thing, this isnt the first time Gutierrez has been played centrally this season. Best was tried in Ba's current position.  We played defensively largely to cover our weakest point (defence) after Saylor was injured as Ba was doing the business upfront and the combination of that was producing results.

As soon as he left for ACON Pards changed it we went more attacking against Fulham specifically because we didnt have someone to rely on to score individually so had to change overall mentality.

The signs of Pardew being flexible to approaches was always there. Realistically many just didnt see it & now are making excuses for that tbh. There were two POV in regards to Pards a couple months ago & one of them has largely been proven right at this point. Simple as for me.

:thup:

I don't doubt he could have done some things better but this 'when he started doing what I said we should be doing' attitude is a bit cringeworthy. Even when  we were playing this "badly" we were getting unexpectedly good results.

It's easy to talk about seperating performances and results or failure to do so but ugly performances only become a concern when you are failing to get results (there was quite a bit of talk of us not being able to keep it up) and the amount of points we have gotten this season clearly show we have consistently done well enough to exceed all expectations.

We are playing very well at the moment and a certain player who wasn't getting much game time before is a big part of that but we haven't just gone on some amazing run and crept up the table. You don't fluke 34 games in a season.

It's been an amazing season and from top to bottom everyone deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

Guest ToonZA

There is no 'old' Pardew, isn't it possible he has more flexibility and ability to learn/adapt than you gave him credit for?

That is one thing that annoys me, it almost seems like a criticism or at least a patronising pat of the back that our performances have gotten better (despite us doing well all season) 'Well at least he has finally seen the light..'.

This is whats laughable about it. Its no new thing, this isnt the first time Gutierrez has been played centrally this season. Best was tried in Ba's current position.  We played defensively largely to cover our weakest point (defence) after Saylor was injured as Ba was doing the business upfront and the combination of that was producing results.

As soon as he left for ACON Pards changed it we went more attacking against Fulham specifically because we didnt have someone to rely on to score individually so had to change overall mentality.

The signs of Pardew being flexible to approaches was always there. Realistically many just didnt see it & now are making excuses for that tbh. There were two POV in regards to Pards a couple months ago & one of them has largely been proven right at this point. Simple as for me.

I don't doubt he could have done some things better but this 'when he started doing what I said we should be doing' attitude is a bit cringeworthy. Even when  we were playing this "badly" we were getting unexpectedly good results.

It's easy to talk about seperating performances and results or failure to do so but ugly performances only become a concern when you are failing to get results (there was quite a bit of talk of us not being able to keep it up) and the amount of points we have gotten this season clearly show we have consistently done well enough to exceed all expectations.

We are playing very well at the moment and a certain player who wasn't getting much game time before is a big part of that but we haven't just gone on some amazing run and crept up the table. You don't fluke 34 games in a season.

It's been an amazing season and from top to bottom everyone deserves a hell of a lot of credit.

As opposed to 'when he started doing what I said he was going to do' ?  :D

I really dont give a fuck about who was proven right or wrong. It has been years since I have been this happy about all things NUFC  :celb: :celb1:

I really dont give a fuck about who was proven right or wrong. It has been years since I have been this happy about all things NUFC  :celb: :celb1:

You're right, fucking loving this. Just watched MOTD2 and we really are fucking brilliant even if it was a few seconds of highlights.

You're right, fucking loving this. Just watched MOTD2 and we really are fucking brilliant even if it was a few seconds of highlights.

Agree with you all!

:smitten:

Guest ToonZA

Going to bed now to dream about Cabaye's through ball and Cisse's run and finish....it will be a wet one then  :love:

Having a little circle-jerk where you ignore everything to the contrary and pat each other on the back.

Good 'discussion'. :thup:

I'm giving up on talking about the past now and only posting about what's ahead of us.  :aww:

Had Pardew continued to put out teams set up to perform like Wolves at home he'd be under extreme pressure, but he changed it and we've performed much better. You can only talking about what you see, Pardew was getting it wrong and showed no sign of changing things then boom, he did. Its great news and its give us a great end to the season, but to say HTT was wrong is nonsense, plenty of people on here were very worried where we were heading, whether they said owt or not is a different matter. I personally thought he was blowing it and was fuming.

One concern i have left is that he reverts back to old at the start of the season, trying to protect points etc...if that doesnt happen and we see what were seeing now its only going to get better with better players coming in.

This right here, gentlemen.

I did not see it coming at all, I can't think of any logical reason that suggested it would come, nor was one suggested by any poster on this board. Negative tactics were accompanied by cries of "you idiot, how can you pass it from the back with simpson, willo and Krul in the team/ Cabaye is in terrible form" ect.

Pardew's change of mentality also exactly coincides with Ben Arfa forcing himself into the team. Now try to remember objectively, Ben Arfa was not eased into the team or anything like that, he was thrown on as a wildcard, an "oh-s***!" button. And he preformed so well in those cameos that he simple could not be dropped from the team (fan pressure being a factor too).

I'm not taking anything away from Pardew he's done unbelievably well. And I almost regret typing this already as this can of worms is in the past. But people gloating ' i woz right bout somethin' , 'will you admit you was wrong' is really irritating.

But you're wrong. There were people that took in past form and what Pardew had said through his time here, his general interviews, his use of players, his explanations when we played badly and his admittances when things didn't go to plan and came to a different conclusion. Buy into what we felt he was aiming for, and the way he ideally would have us play. Sometime that faith looked shaky at best, but I thought that there was very little to suggest he was a negative manager, or married to the concept of 'hoofball' that some here kept banging on about.

There will be many many more games where we f*** up, set up wrongly, or end up lumping it forward. I just hope the current form makes the likes of HTT hesitate from jumping off the deep end again when we hit a bad patch.

I fear it wont.

/Christ, it wasn't that many weeks ago he was still calling for Pardew to be replaced sooner rather than later.

/But then, it wasn't many moons ago, he was fighting Allardyces corner, or siding with Souness over Bellamy and Robert iirc...

Revisionist to the extreme, did you watch ANY of the games where he was accused of this? There was open conflict on the pitch as Demba Ba was arguing with Coloccini for Krul to stop punting it up the pitch every time he got it in at least 1 game that I saw. Krul, and Colo, to their credit, kept on doing what they were told to do by their manager.

Open conflict on the pitch? Bollocks. There have been plenty games, possibly the majority of games where there have been players having a go at each other.

Having  go at each other for following the managers instructions on those occasions? Seriously? You really think that? Absolute bullshit.

But you're wrong. There were people that took in past form and what Pardew had said through his time here, his general interviews, his use of players, his explanations when we played badly and his admittances when things didn't go to plan and came to a different conclusion. Buy into what we felt he was aiming for, and the way he ideally would have us play. Sometime that faith looked shaky at best, but I thought that there was very little to suggest he was a negative manager, or married to the concept of 'hoofball' that some here kept banging on about.

There will be many many more games where we f*** up, set up wrongly, or end up lumping it forward. I just hope the current form makes the likes of HTT hesitate from jumping off the deep end again when we hit a bad patch.

I fear it wont.

/Christ, it wasn't that many weeks ago he was still calling for Pardew to be replaced sooner rather than later.

/But then, it wasn't many moons ago, he was fighting Allardyces corner, or siding with Souness over Bellamy and Robert iirc...

I'm wrong about what exactly?

You certinly won't see me jumping on Pardews back if things go a bit sour, I always said if he gave me signs I would be all over them.

You have to remember, the crux of the problem was that we were playing a style of football that did not suit our players. This is what I criticized Pardew for. His past record suggests a lot of hoof-ball and many pundits and the like allluded to the fact that he always said he plays attractive football, while doing close to the opposite[this obviously set some alarm bells ringing]. I did not see his change in mentality coming, and I don't think these was anything tangible to suggest it would. I fully admit I was wrong in relation to the fact that I did not think Pardew could change his mentality/approach. People were making excuses like blaming individual players, not suggesting it(the negative approach) was part of some plan. Anyway I don't care anymore, I think Pards may have seen the light  :aww:

This is just a load of nothing btw :lol:

I don't follow that he suddenly changed his philosophy, and I honestly don't know who these many pundits are, or what they said? Enlighten me.

Had Pardew continued to put out teams set up to perform like Wolves at home he'd be under extreme pressure, but he changed it and we've performed much better. You can only talking about what you see, Pardew was getting it wrong and showed no sign of changing things then boom, he did. Its great news and its give us a great end to the season, but to say HTT was wrong is nonsense, plenty of people on here were very worried where we were heading, whether they said owt or not is a different matter. I personally thought he was blowing it and was fuming.

One concern i have left is that he reverts back to old at the start of the season, trying to protect points etc...if that doesnt happen and we see what were seeing now its only going to get better with better players coming in.

I did not see it coming at all, I can't think of any logical reason that suggested it would come, nor was one suggested by any poster on this board. Negative tactics were accompanied by cries of "you idiot, how can you pass it from the back with simpson, willo and Krul in the team/ Cabaye is in terrible form" ect.

Pardew's change of mentality also exactly coincides with Ben Arfa forcing himself into the team. Now try to remember objectively, Ben Arfa was not eased into the team or anything like that, he was thrown on as a wildcard, an "oh-s***!" button. And he preformed so well in those cameos that he simple could not be dropped from the team (fan pressure being a factor too).

I'm not taking anything away from Pardew he's done unbelievably well. And I almost regret typing this already as this can of worms is in the past. But people gloating ' i woz right bout somethin' , 'will you admit you was wrong' is really irritating.

I fear it wont.

Revisionist to the extreme, did you watch ANY of the games where he was accused of this? There was open conflict on the pitch as Demba Ba was arguing with Coloccini for Krul to stop punting it up the pitch every time he got it in at least 1 game that I saw. Krul, and Colo, to their credit, kept on doing what they were told to do by their manager.

Open conflict on the pitch? Bollocks. There have been plenty games, possibly the majority of games where there have been players having a go at each other.

Having  go at each other for following the managers instructions on those occasions? Seriously? You really think that? Absolute bullshit.

So you decide to not watch the game and call people who have seen it 'talking bollocks', internet-revisionist idiocy at its finest.

I fear it wont.

So you decide to not watch the game and call people who have seen it 'talking bollocks', internet-revisionist idiocy at its finest.

You what? I've watched every game in full this season, none away in person, but a good deal at SJP.

I'll ask again, when did you see the players have a go at each other for following the managers instructions?

I fear it wont.

You what? I've watched every game in full this season, none away in person, but a good deal at SJP.

I'll ask again, when did you see the players have a go at each other for following the managers instructions?

How can you ask 'again' if you didn't ask anything already? It's 1am and I'm not going to trawl topics for your benefit. Continue in your

hazy bubble of revisionism for all I care lol.

I fear it wont.

How can you ask 'again' if you didn't ask anything already? It's 1am and I'm not going to trawl topics for your benefit. Continue in your

hazy bubble of revisionism for all I care lol.

Question marks denote a question. lol.

Look, we are both Newcastle United fans (supposedly), Pardew is doing a great job now. Pardew wasn't doing a great job  in January/February. We played longball in a 4-4-2 to Ba and Cisse. It wasn't working. Many of us said this on the forum. Fewer said that most of our players were worthy of a top4 club. It's not about being proven right or wrong. If you really want me to try and find out which game Ba was arguing with Colo and gesturing to Krul to keep it on the deck, I can do it tomorrow when I'm bored in a hotel after 8pm.

Look, we are both Newcastle United fans (supposedly), Pardew is doing a great job now. Pardew wasn't doing a great job  in January/February. We played longball in a 4-4-2 to Ba and Cisse. It wasn't working. Many of us said this on the forum. Fewer said that most of our players were worthy of a top4 club. It's not about being proven right or wrong. If you really want me to try and find out which game Ba was arguing with Colo and gesturing to Krul to keep it on the deck, I can do it tomorrow when I'm bored in a hotel after 8pm.

Supposedly? Fuck off. :lol:

You highlighted in my post  "Sometime that faith looked shaky at best, but I thought that there was very little to suggest he was a negative manager, or married to the concept of 'hoofball' that some here kept banging on about.", then suggest i'd not seen any of the games in question.

But that's what I've said all along, not just this season but the last as well. I didn't believe he was tied to or had any desire for that kind of football, and I'm delighted he is now able to let the players off the leash to a certain extent. There is no revisionism on my part.

As you say though, it's not about being right or wrong. But I think the case does repeatedly have to be made, for no other reason than the vain hope of slightly stemming the inevitable round of rants and bullshit the next time we hit a slump.

Has this rather strange piece been posted already?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1052445/alan-pardew-risks-wrath-of-newcastle-fans-with-praise-for-ashley?cc=5739

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has risked the wrath of the fans by hailing the impact and investment of unpopular owner Mike Ashley as the club close in on Champions League qualification.

Ashley was widely criticised for his decision to sack Chris Hughton and appoint Pardew in December 2010, and for allowing star striker Andy Carroll to leave the club on January transfer deadline day, albeit for a whopping £35 million, the following month.

However, Newcastle 3-0 win over Stoke on Saturday lifted them to fourth in the Premier League as Pardew's team - built around shrewd acquisitions such as Papiss Cisse, Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa - continue to exceed expectations.

Pardew and his team have scoured Europe to sign relatively cut-price players, who have all come good at St James Park, but the manager believes Ashley must also take some of the credit.

"Mike's put something like £273 million into the club and he's not taken anything back,'' Pardew told the Sunday Times.

"Since I've been here I have not really shouted his corner. Politically for me it's a minefield. I want to keep the fans in a good place but I would say to them, before they get emotional about it, that Mike has invested something like 25% of his personal wealth in this football club.

"Ask me for 25% of my money and you've got no chance. I don't care how good your idea is.''

Honestly i don't care if he gets it wrong or right with tactics the fact he is thinking and trying things means that he will eventually develop as a manager too as long as he learns from his mistakes. Hope his current managerial form continues  too :) compare him to MON setting up a defensive team to counter attack every game. Pardew is doing the right things.

There was that blip after the Man United game where our only tactic was to reenact that Ba goal from the Krul goal kick everytime we got the ball. But he changed that, got Ben Arfa in the team playing well, and the past five games have been an absolute pleasure. Long may it continue.

pardew's done a great job this season, and i don't think there was ever a time this season where he was doing poorly at all. but every manager has their decisions scrutinised, including alex ferguson and his team is sitting atop the premiership table at the minute. the forum may as well shut down if we ever reach the day where we do not approve of discussing the ins and outs of what a manager is doing.

the thing is there's a difference between pointed criticism, tactical suggestions and analysis, and blind dislike or wanting someone sacked.

95% of the critical discussion this season - whether it's been about playing obertan, hoofing it up to best, utlising cisse as a targetman vs the mackems, not getting cabaye and tiote to gel etc have fitted the former category. as have the opposite opinions when he does something special that deserves praise, whether it be grinding out results when we're not playing well, shifting to a 4-3-3, making colo captain, or bringing in great players. some excellent debates have been had in this very thread on the above subjects this season.

it's a tiny minority in the 5% who went too far and acted like idiots - and i include HTT in that.

the past few games have turned our season from a good one where we've formed a great squad and overachieved slightly, to a superb one with a great squad that has overachieved massively. if we maintain this position he deserves to be up there with robson and keegan imo. unlike keegan he might not have a set philosophy in terms of playing style, but he's perhaps a bit more like robson, a pragmatist who takes each game as it comes.

I for one never called for him to be sacked, on the contrary, I said I'm happy for him to continue. At the time when as a team we were playing poorly, and quite a few of us thought it was the end of the honeymoon where we were seemingly getting by on the quality of players alone rather than Pardew's management, I simply said that at, quite literally, he was a very limited manager without any nuance at all, who was very lucky given his past to have any job in the premier league, let alone Newcastle.

We discussed a change of system, how we thought a change of lineup and formation could be beneficial, whether it was 4-3-3 or or 8-1-1, but I wanted to see him trying, like Keegan did. Ronaldo explicitly shot me down on this.  I said his management style was a square pegs in round holes methodology, and until he adapted his tactics to the players we had then he would continue to be a limited manage who would limit our development as a club. I heavily criticized him for leaving Ben Arfa on the bench for as long as he did.  I always left it open in all my posts that if he did change, then that would be a marked improvement and I would be happy.

He has changed as a manager in my honest opinion and I even said that I think he or some advisors of his read this forum, because a lot of what we were saying seemed to take effect a few weeks later :) I am happy with him and happy for him to continue. Maybe the posts on anti-Pardew rants were not aimed at me, but it felt like many are criticizing posters for pointing out obvious mistakes in tactics during a period where it was make or break time for him and the players.

I am not looking for someone to quote me and go 'Oh look at Hawk he was right', and in saying this I am not tarring you all with a different brush when I say I am not a knee-jerker, but I do expect to be given the respect to air my views and opinions and not be retrospectively pigeon-holed as part of a group of people who wanted him sacked when I never said anything remotely close to that - and then treat in such a manner on my future posts as if I have no right to be happy about what Pardew is doing now.

Posted from my phone so please bear with the weird autocorrects if there are any.

But the switch to 433 didn't come as a shock. Pards had clearly experimented with it earlier in the season, and half the forum seemed to think that this would be the preferred formation when we were linked with Gervinho.

Pards clearly felt that at the beginning of the season, the players we had purchased were more suited to start the season in a 442.

Once the season started well, he appeared reluctant to change a winning formula, but he has always shown willingness to experiment with formations and player positions.

Admittedly, he maybe should have made changes quicker, but we have overachieved most of our expectations all season long, so I'm certainly not complaining.

pardew's done a great job this season, and i don't think there was ever a time this season where he was doing poorly at all. but every manager has their decisions scrutinised, including alex ferguson and his team is sitting atop the premiership table at the minute. the forum may as well shut down if we ever reach the day where we do not approve of discussing the ins and outs of what a manager is doing.

the thing is there's a difference between pointed criticism, tactical suggestions and analysis, and blind dislike or wanting someone sacked.

95% of the critical discussion this season - whether it's been about playing obertan, hoofing it up to best, utlising cisse as a targetman vs the mackems, not getting cabaye and tiote to gel etc have fitted the former category. as have the opposite opinions when he does something special that deserves praise, whether it be grinding out results when we're not playing well, shifting to a 4-3-3, making colo captain, or bringing in great players. some excellent debates have been had in this very thread on the above subjects this season.

it's a tiny minority in the 5% who went too far and acted like idiots - and i include HTT in that.

the past few games have turned our season from a good one where we've formed a great squad and overachieved slightly, to a superb one with a great squad that has overachieved massively. if we maintain this position he deserves to be up there with robson and keegan imo. unlike keegan he might not have a set philosophy in terms of playing style, but he's perhaps a bit more like robson, a pragmatist who takes each game as it comes.

Spot on as usual. There have been a lot of valid criticisms and discussion points, it never got daft barring a very few exceptions. In fact I actually think this has been one of the best threads this season because nearly all of the content was well balanced and argued. Despite our results and position, Pardew had questions asked about his selections, tactics and style of play (some of which were prompted by his own comments in the media) and he has answered them emphatically in the run-in. Dunno why some are so preoccupied with point-scoring.

Spot on as usual. There have been a lot of valid criticisms and discussion points, it never got daft barring a very few exceptions. In fact I actually think this has been one of the best threads this season because nearly all of the content was well balanced and argued. Despite our results and position, Pardew had questions asked about his selections, tactics and style of play (some of which were prompted by his own comments in the media) and he has answered them emphatically in the run-in. Dunno why some are so preoccupied with point-scoring.

Not point scoring as such, just a pretty unbridgeable difference of opinion. When people say that Pardew has actually had a fundamental shift in his style or philosophy (possibly even to the extent of taking pointers from this forum) it's difficult not to at least have a go arguing against that. Whether he could have got the team playing like this much earlier in the season is a bit of a mute point without knowing what was going on at the training ground, but as Noisewater and others have said, there was plenty of evidence in his past or at the time to suggest that he had as little joy in seeing us resort to clunky defensive football as the rest of us.