Alan Pardew

JH

pard need more defensive tactic for this kind of games.

What he needs is better players at the back.

for sure he need that but summer window not open today.. probably hoof tactic is better with park with the bus defense.

Guest BooBoo

pard need more defensive tactic for this kind of games.

What he needs is better players at the back.

Yep, players of fairly average standard will have bad games now and again.

Don't think you can blame any one department of the team today, we were second best all over the park. The defence made mistakes but Wigan were being gifted the ball elsewhere on the field.

They just wanted it more, a lot more.

he pretty much fielded a team that most of us would have done.

the players just didn't turn up. 

we went with 4-2-3-1 and got 2 buried past us, he changed the formation to a back three with wing backs, got 2 buried past us again,

the opposition were just that much better, and us being so shyte was a shocking combination today.

not sure what pardew could have done different.

we went with 4-2-3-1 and got 2 buried past us, he changed the formation to a back three with wing backs, got 2 buried past us again,

the opposition were just that much better, and us being so shyte was a shocking combination today.

Well summed up. :sadnod:

Yeah absolutely, at the very least having Jonas and Tiote ahead of usual defense should give enough protection to stop us conceeding so much, anymore, no-one would have been for going more defensive.

Definitely, the manager can only do so much to try and send the players out to play with the intensity that Wigan did today. We got done by a team who are playing exactly how you need to play at the bottom in April. You might not be better than your opponents but after a long season, you can make sure you're first to every ball and make sure you press all over the pitch.

They did exactly the same to Arsenal in the opening stages, and at the Emirates too, taking advantage of complacency and taking advantage of the fact that it can be tough to motivate yourself for a game against Wigan towards the close - we know even as fans that it can be hard in these games to be up for it. Fair play to them I say, 18 from 21 is still an outrageous return and we can still make the Champions League with a bit of bad luck for Spurs and a response on Wednesday - where we should be looking to do to Chelsea what Wigan did to us.

Guest palnese

It really felt like they had 2 or 3 extra players on the pitch today. They were pretty much everywhere.

You've got to credit Martinez for his tactics.

I do wonder if Levy has got him on his shortlist at Spurs.

Definitely, the manager can only do so much to try and send the players out to play with the intensity that Wigan did today. We got done by a team who are playing exactly how you need to play at the bottom in April. You might not be better than your opponents but after a long season, you can make sure you're first to every ball and make sure you press all over the pitch.

They did exactly the same to Arsenal in the opening stages, and at the Emirates too, taking advantage of complacency and taking advantage of the fact that it can be tough to motivate yourself for a game against Wigan towards the close - we know even as fans that it can be hard in these games to be up for it. Fair play to them I say, 18 from 21 is still an outrageous return and we can still make the Champions League with a bit of bad luck for Spurs and a response on Wednesday - where we should be looking to do to Chelsea what Wigan did to us.

agree with most of that except the motivation for playing at wigan, the motivation was a champs league spot NOT the opposition. got to say i was very impressed with wigan when not in possession, they closed everything down so quick without leaving gaps anywhere.

agree with most of that except the motivation for playing at wigan, the motivation was a champs league spot NOT the opposition. got to say i was very impressed with wigan when not in possession, they closed everything down so quick without leaving gaps anywhere.

Absolutely but maybe the players did think they had it made after the last few games and thought we just had to turn up, with the games to come being the tough ones. If a team comes out of the blocks like Wigan did, intent on such intelligent pressing, it can probably be quite tough to get to grips with if you're not expecting it, especially when their chances all go in early on, then you're fucked. For all the quality we've shown in our recent form, our opposition have rarely made it difficult for us to play.

Absolutely but maybe the players did think they had it made after the last few games and thought we just had to turn up, with the games to come being the tough ones. If a team comes out of the blocks like Wigan did, intent on such intelligent pressing, it can probably be quite tough to get to grips with if you're not expecting it, especially when their chances all go in early on, then you're f***ed. For all the quality we've shown in our recent form, our opposition have rarely made it difficult for us to play.

not too sure, given wigan's recent form i doubt any of our team were thinking we just needed to turn up, agree with everything else.

I really thought we'd win today and im normally pessimistic. For the past week I couldnt help but feel we would finish top 4, despite trying to force myself not to

The disappointment is in now and its easier to take than I thought it would be, anything else is a bonus

Wednesday will decide our season. Beat chelsea and spurs drop points, its back on

I really thought we'd win today and im normally pessimistic. For the past week I couldnt help but feel we would finish top 4, despite trying to force myself not to

The disappointment is in now and its easier to take than I thought it would be, anything else is a bonus

Wednesday will decide our season. Beat chelsea and spurs drop points, its back on

if you win 6 on the trot and are playing a team in the bottom half it's easy to think that. I did!.

mm I knew it would be tough, I just thought we'd murder them on the break

so did  I. I missed the first 15mins (haven't seen their first two and don't care if I never see them) but was amazed at the lack of space and time we seemed to have.

It's too easy to blame "one of those days" too, I think (because it is repetitive).

Let's take United as an example, even though it's not exemplary for this specific season - let's look at the overall picture.

Having won everything there is to win? as manager and players throughout the years, Ferguson has kept the team going. They've had hiccups, yeah, but not to the extent we have (imo). I mean, I'd take 2-0 loss, ok. But 4-0? When goal difference counts? It's just beyond me.

I saw Pards making changes on the sideline, but I think what we do "miss" is a Barton (without hazardous tackles)/Nolan-type of player. A general that can lead the troops through the war, through the midfield. I just couldn't see it today. Without ball we were terrible, no pressure whatsoever. With ball, we couldn't seem to know where to pass it.

And players always stated they weren't "complacent"?! I mean, losing for a better side is one thing, but losing because you couldn't/wouldn't/cared enough to make an impression is another thing. No passion whatsoever today. It was about 10-15 min in the second half there when we had those Cisse chances, but besides that everything was a joke really.

Need 8 points of the 9 remaining, doubt it'll be done.