What the club is looking for...

Dave

If that's true the man has a mental illness, is he expecting it to catch on ? does he think other clubs owners will join in and think he is onto something.

I guess even Parew would not work under those conditions, he's a fkn lunatic f he thinks any manger will accept that.

I have no doubt it is true. It completely matches up with the ideas they have been pushing regarding financial prudency. I'm happy it has come out as it has so everyone knows, as it is now all on them completely. There will certainly be someone desperate enough to take it on Skirge, however we all have to brace ourselves because it isn't likely to be anyone sexy. I can see managers in general being pissed off at this and urging no one to take the job, because it holds them hugely accountable and they won't appreciate the possibility that other owners, however few, might eventually follow suit should if it miraculously works.

McNally claims we sounded Oneill out but he won't come on those terms. There's a surprise

I don't think I would go there on those terms, not that they are a bad terms or anything*, just I wouldn't trust Ashley not to change the rules.

:dowiespin:

*Far, far better wages than he's on at Sainsbury's.

(No offence Stifler, that's how I interpreted what you were saying).

This is a fascinating experiment. At least all the cards are being laid out on the table from the outset. For the very first time you could argue that Mike Ashley is going to get the manager he wants on his terms. This could end in disaster, and probably will, but its high time this regime were clear on what the hell they want to do and just freakin' do it. If it fails miserably then everyone can then just move on once and for all. Pretty crazy stuff though. It's going to be interesting to watch that's for sure.

Are you out of your f***ing tree?

Just take a deep breath and take it easy. You might want to read my follow up posts first.

This is a fascinating experiment. At least all the cards are being laid out on the table from the outset. For the very first time you could argue that Mike Ashley is going to get the manager he wants on his terms. This could end in disaster, and probably will, but its high time this regime were clear on what the hell they want to do and just freakin' do it. If it fails miserably then everyone can then just move on once and for all. Pretty crazy stuff though. It's going to be interesting to watch that's for sure.

Just take a deep breath and take it easy. You might want to read my follow up posts first.

I have and while I vaguely agree it certianly doesn't make it 'fascinating' nor 'interesting.'

I have and while I vaguely agree it certianly doesn't make it 'fascinating' nor 'interesting.'

Probably the wrong choice of words to use. What I meant was that the idea was an interesting one, but wether this was viable for running a football club is another thing. Should it somehow work out, it will be interesting to see what the wider implications would be.

Probably the wrong choice of words to use. What I meant was that the idea was an interesting one, but wether this was viable for running a football club is another thing. Should it somehow work out, it will be interesting to see what the wider implications would be.

Who knows, I thought I was totally apathetic towards the issue now, what do you know I'm still angry.

For long term success I don't think it is viable, no manger worth his salt is going to accept those terms or any other condition along those lines. Hypothetically Ashley may luck out and Pardew may keep us up, still doesn't mean it's a sensible way to go about things. What if Pardew establishes us a Premier League side and he can't take us any further under the current ownership? No manager above his calibe is going to bite, we'll be looking at the also rans again, it just isn't sustainable.

Who knows, I thought I was totally apathetic towards the issue now, what do you know I'm still angry.

For long term success I don't think it is viable, no manger worth his salt is going to accept those terms or any other condition along those lines. Hypothetically Ashley may luck out and Pardew may keep us up, still doesn't mean it's a sensible way to go about things. What if Pardew establishes us a Premier League side and he can't take us any further under the current ownership? No manager above his calibe is going to bite, we'll be looking at the also rans again, it just isn't sustainable.

He dosent intend on taking us further than that imo, he simply intends to stay in the PL with, eventually, a reasonably low wage bill, and find a buyer to pay him a big price. In the meantime a yes-man can hold the forte for him.

He dosent intend on taking us further than that imo, he simply intends to stay in the PL with, eventually, a reasonably low wage bill, and find a buyer to pay him a big price. In the meantime a yes-man can hold the forte for him.

Sounds about right.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

What player would want to stick around for Mike Ashley's big experiment turning Newcastle into fooking Lillywhites? Especially if you're someone like Tiote or Krul or Barton who only sees their own value as a commodity on the market, not with any loyalty to any particular club?  Players on different clubs talk to each other, and no doubt they are all talking to their friends on other clubs who are telling them how f***ing crazy this is.

Expect this team to look very different, very soon. 

Except with the same colors and the same fuckwit owner.

Posted in the other thread but I have more thoughts about this now. 

The PL has to absolutely hate this idea.  The Prem isn't the most watched and followed league in the world because it's filled with a bunch of spendthrift owners who don't buy players.  No, it's a money league.  Imagine we are tied on points in 18th place with Liverpool going into the last game of the season.  Who do you think the FA and the League bosses would prefer stay up?  Which ref are they going to make sure awards the odd penalty?  Liverpool who spends money and by extension increases the visibility and profitability of the league, or Newcastle who's owner has gone on record saying that he doesn't see the need to invest in his club? 

This business model, if it is in fact true as reported, will not only make our club unpopular to the players and managers, but also to the bosses that run the league.  Less investment in the club is directly in opposition to the interests of the league. 

Felt this deserved a more general thread than disappearing in the Pardew one.

These quotes from a 'club source' have somehow found their way into a number of Wednesday's newspapers. Presumably Llambias then.

“Two or three experienced people in football have been sounded out and told those are the terms and conditions.

“All have been told the same thing; they will be rewarded for results and results only. There will be no £1.5million signing-on fee and no compensation clauses in their contract. The bottom line is Mike Ashley wants value for money and just as in his businesses, he expects to get it. The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash to spend and nor will he be handed a contract which means he can be rewarded for failure.

“He will be handsomely rewarded if he brings success to Newcastle United and will not be rewarded if he fails. Mike Ashley wants an experienced manager at one of the biggest clubs in the land. But he wants a manager on his terms and those terms are simple; every penny has to be spent wisely and the club must continue to head in the right direction towards the top end of the Premier League table.

“The club will be run along the same lines that Mike pays his top executives at Sports Direct – a very good basic wage but big bonuses for results.

“The new manager will be expected to buy into the new vision. You get paid by results, developing the club and moving it forward.

“The old guard in football are saying we have never done this before. Ashley might end up with egg all over his face but in five years’ time the cynics might be thinking otherwise. I don’t think any club in England would be run like this but this is a businessman running a football club as a business. Whether that is right or wrong only time will tell.”

“They have talked to two or three people, laying out the terms and conditions and then asking, ‘Are you brave enough to take it on?’

“We will find out which one is brave enough to do that on Thursday or Friday. Mike wants the club run to Ashley rules, not football rules. That means no signing-on fee and no big compensation clauses in their contracts. There can be no rewards for failure.”

“The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash. Mike wants an experienced manager at one of the biggest clubs in the land, but he wants one on his terms and those terms are simple.

“Every penny has to be spent wisely and the club must continue to head in the right direction towards the top end of the Premier League table.The bottom line is that Mike wants value for money and just as in his businesses, he expects to get it.”

“Martin (Jol) has put himself in a good position, but he would have to accept these terms and conditions and it would not be a way he has worked before.”

Hopefully the player's wages will soon follow suit

Can we change the thread title to "What Mike Ashley is looking for..." by the way?

I know it's reality but it makes me vomit to think that he and the club are one and the same entity.

:mackems:

What player would want to stick around for Mike Ashley's big experiment turning Newcastle into fooking Lillywhites? Especially if you're someone like Tiote or Krul or Barton who only sees their own value as a commodity on the market, not with any loyalty to any particular club?  Players on different clubs talk to each other, and no doubt they are all talking to their friends on other clubs who are telling them how f***ing crazy this is.

Expect this team to look very different, very soon. 

Except with the same colors and the same fuckwit owner.

Posted in the other thread but I have more thoughts about this now. 

The PL has to absolutely hate this idea.  The Prem isn't the most watched and followed league in the world because it's filled with a bunch of spendthrift owners who don't buy players.  No, it's a money league.  Imagine we are tied on points in 18th place with Liverpool going into the last game of the season.  Who do you think the FA and the League bosses would prefer stay up?  Which ref are they going to make sure awards the odd penalty?  Liverpool who spends money and by extension increases the visibility and profitability of the league, or Newcastle who's owner has gone on record saying that he doesn't see the need to invest in his club? 

This business model, if it is in fact true as reported, will not only make our club unpopular to the players and managers, but also to the bosses that run the league.  Less investment in the club is directly in opposition to the interests of the league. 

Aye, the league really appreciated Leeds and Portsmouth for their lavish spending, so much so that they gave them a bonus -9 points :thup:

on a fundamental level i have no problem with this approach, assuming the rewards for success are enough to attract a good manager i think it's ok, but the manager would have to be very canny and ensure his budget was built into the agreement legally otherwise he's agreeing to something he has no control over like keegan did and is then on the hook to be fired with no payoff

i think some of the stuff people are saying is bollocks, like you can't run a football differently to the others - why the fuck not?

on the other hand the glass half empty crowd would no doubt look at it as guaranteeing an out of work desperate manager coming in (which is probably going to happen) with the hope he can succeed and get bonuses galore

however all of that said i reckon it's probably a load of shit they're spinning and think this is extremely on the mark:

Mike Ashley is the worst kind of idiot. The kind of idiot that makes up complex justifications to convince himself that he's actually right.

In theory it is makes sense however football is not a traditional business in the way it operates. Also you couldn't pick a worse time to trial it. Continuity brbgs success in football, this theory would seem to go against that as managers will be very easy to fire on a whim. Nixon raises some good points n all.

In theory it is makes sense however football is not a traditional business in the way it operates. Also you couldn't pick a worse time to trial it. Continuity brbgs success in football, this theory would seem to go against that as managers will be very easy to fire on a whim. Nixon raises some good points n all.

all the stuff nixon said was what i first thought, how come not just Hughton then?  presumably he wouldn't accept the terms, or there's also some truth in them wanting more experience for whatever reason - those two things aren't mutually exclusive imo