Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Spurs have managed it in recent times, and Arsenal have never been big spenders and are up there every year.

The emergence of City and Chelsea has undoubtedly made things very difficult, but it's not completely impossible for teams to get up there.

So we are deeper in debt, we have Ashley/Llambias who through a series of f*** ups got us relegated and continue to spout crap and twist the truth.

It doesnt look like they are prepared to invest in the squad to push for europe so the best weve got to look forward to is mid table for the foreseeable future.

and we are better off?

What exactly were we looking forward to in 2007 when we were insolvent, had borrowed against every asset, our owners weren't going to put any money in and we had Allardyce as our manager?

People do seem to judge the previous regime only based on the Champions League years.

Spurs have managed it in recent times, and Arsenal have never been big spenders and are up there every year.

The emergence of City and Chelsea has undoubtedly made things very difficult, but it's not completely impossible for teams to get up there.

The two clubs you mentioned have both sold players to finance their transfer spending.

The two clubs you mentioned have both sold players to finance their transfer spending.

True, but they've also shown a willingness to spend money.

I'm far from an Ashley hater, I do like a lot of the things he's done since taking over. But I don't think he's got much ambition, and that limits what I think we can achieve.

If we go out and show real ambition this summer and make a couple of big splashes in the transfer market then I'll happily change my tune, but I personally don't expect it to happen.

I'm slowly getting more negative with you Shak.

I don't think it'll be the worst summer ever if there is not much change from now till September, but it's certainly not the push I'd hoped for.

It's no Bowyer Summer though. Stupid FFS.

Guest neesy111

So we are deeper in debt, we have Ashley/Llambias who through a series of f*** ups got us relegated and continue to spout crap and twist the truth.

It doesnt look like they are prepared to invest in the squad to push for europe so the best weve got to look forward to is mid table for the foreseeable future.

and we are better off?

What exactly were we looking forward to in 2007 when we were insolvent, had borrowed against every asset, our owners weren't going to put any money in and we had Allardyce as our manager?

People do seem to judge the previous regime only based on the Champions League years.

Yeap they don't seem to mention the most disastrous decision ever made in football, the appointment of Graeme Souness.

and we are better off?

It's another stick to hit Ashley with so it'll be wheeled out when convenient.

True, but they've also shown a willingness to spend money.

I'm far from an Ashley hater, I do like a lot of the things he's done since taking over. But I don't think he's got much ambition, and that limits what I think we can achieve.

If we go out and show real ambition this summer and make a couple of big splashes in the transfer market then I'll happily change my tune, but I personally don't expect it to happen.

I've said more or less the same thing in another post somewhere today, probably in this thread. Ashley isn't enthusiastic about this club or at least isn't willing to invest more ambitiously. I would have liked Zog to go with the new striker but it could have been a lot worse.

and we are better off?

Yeap they don't seem to mention the most disastrous decision ever made in football, the appointment of Graeme Souness.

Ever?

Guest neesy111

Ashley and Shepherd were both idiots for different reasons.  What I will say at least Ashley has gambled with his own money and lost shitloads at the same time, while Shepherd gambled on future income which would have never materialised.

Ashley and Shepherd were both idiots for different reasons.  What I will say at least Ashley has gambled with his own money and lost shitloads at the same time, while Shepherd gambled on future income which would have never materialised.

Shepherd also fucked off with a shitload of cash. All the money he spent came out of NUFC coffers not his bank account.

Guest neesy111

Shepherd also fucked off with a shitload of cash. All the money he spent came out of NUFC coffers not his bank account.

Yeap his initially investment in NUFC was 500k.  Not a bad return I would say....

Is this satire? If so, it's going way over my head.  ???

Guest Antec

and we are better off?

I wouldn't have thought so since it's a huge pile of made-up bullshit

Guest neesy111

and we are better off?

Ever?

Yes.

and we are better off?

I wouldn't have thought so since it's a huge pile of made-up bullshit

:lol:

Guest TheSummerOf69

How would we get back to being a CL team under a different owner?

We could try something really crazy :idiot2: like keeping our best players and using untried new signings from abroad to better an already strong core that know and fight for each other?  

Under Shepard we were on the down turn. Quickly from being a top 4 club and one who was expected to put up a fight for the Premiership and win something very soon we became a club sitting in 5th/6th place then to one sitting in mid table. Our income was starting to get less and our outgoings were far too much. in the end we would have went down and that would have put us in a severe financial difficulty if we didn't have anyone there to prop us up as Ashley did. So yes we are over all in a better position with Ashley in charge.

and we are better off?

Ever?

Yes.

:sadnod:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8621156/Sports-Directs-latest-buys-set-to-anger-investors.html

It also brings to mind other unorthodox deals Mr Ashley has put together, including the acquisition of Lillywhites in 2002. Reports at the time detailed how an offer was tabled at lunchtime and completed the same day.

Then in 2004, Mr Ashley bought Dunlop Slazenger without having audited accounts for the group or its subsidiaries.

Quite a habit he has there.