(Long) Breakdown of our recent finances

BottledDog

One of the best football related blogs around. Great read.

Manages to set everything out plainly and without any overbearing bias, and despite the debt etc, it does somehow leave me feeling a smidge positive about the direction we're taking too, which is a fairly surprising bonus.

Never read his blog before... will have a look over some of the other posts when I get a chance. :thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Summary please :);)

We lose loads of money every season from player wages, selling players at a lower value than we buy them for, and sacking our managers.

So are the halls and Shepards

After years of rank bad management, they left the club in an appalling mess: a £30 million loss; £70 million of debt plus £27 million owing transfer fees; extremely limited borrowing capacity, as all assets and income streams had already been used to secure loans; and a bloated wage bill of aging mercenaries on generous long-term contracts.

Very interesting insight into how our club is running.  No doubt that while Ashley is making huge errors in judgement he is a pretty astute business man and has a clear plan to take this club out of deby, albeit most of the debt is now owed to him personally - the fact that this is interst free is helping the club recover from years of being run so badly.

It is clear that without Ashley we would be as good as insolvent.  The only way we could survive without this man at the helm is for some uber wealthy idiot to come along and plough in millions and I mean 100's of millions into the club in the vain hope of receiving some sort of entertainment in return.

It will be quite some time, if ever at all before we are the type of club that attracts wealth in the same way as clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea can.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi
Where Newcastle do score very highly is in gate receipts, thanks to their impressively large and loyal support. Although this has fallen from £35 million in 2005 to £29 million in 2009, this was unbelievably still the tenth highest of the Money League clubs, superior to Milan, Inter, Lyon and Borussia Dortmund among others.

Be proud lads. :clap:

The final paragraph sums the situation and I imagine the opinions of a lot of fans up quite well:

The tragedy for Mike Ashley is that he could so easily have been a hero to the Newcastle faithful, having sunk so much of his own money into the club, but as Freddy Shepherd acidly observed, “Anybody can buy a football club, not everybody can run one.” Leaving aside the slightly unreliable provenance of the quote, especially as Ashley has had to fix the financial mess that he inherited from his predecessors, the man does have a point. As Ashley himself has admitted, “I tried my best, but I accept that my best was woefully short.” Even after Newcastle’s victory over Liverpool at the weekend, it’s difficult to believe that many of their fans would disagree with him.

Brief Summary:

Despite his crass behaviour, there is no doubt that Mike Ashley has put his hand in his pocket to keep the club going. The unpalatable truth is that Newcastle United are heavily reliant on the support of their charmless owner.

That article pretty much confirms that Fat Freddy was a cunt who didn't have a clue about how to run a football club. Ashley has at least sorted out the money side of things, while cocking up pretty much everything else.

Brief Summary:

Despite his crass behaviour, there is no doubt that Mike Ashley has put his hand in his pocket to keep the club going. The unpalatable truth is that Newcastle United are heavily reliant on the support of their charmless owner.

What about all the profit he's made from transfers.

:facepalm:

Brief Summary:

What about all the profit he's made from transfers.

I assume that's a piss take  :lol:

Where Newcastle do score very highly is in gate receipts, thanks to their impressively large and loyal support. Although this has fallen from £35 million in 2005 to £29 million in 2009, this was unbelievably still the tenth highest of the Money League clubs, superior to Milan, Inter, Lyon and Borussia Dortmund among others.

BUT WE HAND OUT FREE TICKETS!!!111!!1!!11!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

BUT WE HAND OUT FREE TICKETS!!!111!!1!!11!

It does go on to say that our attendance figures have dropped from 51k to 43k like.  :lol: