Newcastle v Manchester City Sun 26/12/10 15:00 - Pre Match Thread

QBG

If you compare it to the Villa team we've got Simpson for Perch, Taylor for Williamson and Tiote for Smith. Don't see the problem whatsoever with this line up. Plenty of goals in there and it's mainly set pieces where Barton's threat has came from anyway which we'll still have.

Shola injured?

Hamstring injury.

Regarding Campbell: -

“The policy is players will be picked on their contribution and not on reputation. That has to be the policy, because if I was a player here that is what I would want to see.”

That is a policy which may jar with Sol Campbell’s private desire for more games. The veteran defender is understood to be unhappy at both his lack of match time and the treatment of Chris Hughton, whose presence in the Newcastle dug-out was key to him spurning other interest in the summer.

Illness looks set to rule him out against Manchester City this afternoon – and he will struggle to get back in the team if another one of United’s centre-backs performs well.

Could that lead to a parting of the ways, a scenario being considered privately by Campbell? Pardew remains diplomatic.

He said: “It is difficult with Sol because he is not very well so we have not really had those discussions.

“Would I like to keep him? That is a discussion for me and Sol to have privately more than publicly.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/12/26/tim-krul-is-the-no-1-choice-alan-pardew-79310-27882304/

Regarding Ranger: -

NILE Ranger has been warned he needs to start behaving like a professional footballer if he is going to make the most of his ability at Newcastle United.

Ranger has been rewarded for his progress at United with a five-and-a-half year contract and there is no doubt the England Under-19 international has the potential to follow in Andy Carroll’s footsteps.

But Alan Pardew is quick to stress there are elements to the teenager’s game and, more importantly, preparation which needs drastic improvement if he is going to continue to develop.

Although he did not say it directly, Pardew appears to be concerned by Ranger’s attitude in training and he will not stand for slackers.

“I had heard about Nile prior to coming here and knew he was a talent,” said Pardew, who will still be without the injured Shola Ameobi against Manchester City on Sunday.

“But I still think he has a lot to do to be a regular starter here. He was going to start at Birmingham because I thought the impetus he gave us against Liverpool would carry over. But that doesn't mean to say he's going to play against City.

“At the moment, he's probably still at the stage of being an impact player to a degree. When I see a bit more of him in training, and see him on time and being disciplined, that's when I'll feel willing to put him in the first team.”

Some have questioned the wisdom in given a player like Ranger such a long and lucrative contract when he is yet to establish himself as a first team regular as, financially, he is already secure.

But Pardew has indicated he will come down hard on any signs of complacency as he tries to nurture Ranger into a potent strike partner for Carroll.

He added: “He has potential, but he needs to get certain other things right to be a consistent performer. Anyone can play well in one game, it's about being a consistently good player."

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/12/24/nile-ranger-needs-to-change-attitude-61634-27879854/

He's obviously seen the battle of the day going on in the middle of the park. City have the likes of De Cunt and Yaya Toure to play there so if we can get in amongst them and make it a scrap then who knows. Kolo Toure's out so it'll be interesting to see how they deal with Carroll at the back, despite him up front on his own.

Looks like we'll be back to counting how many times Nolan touches the ball in the whole game.

I fancy something from this, tbh. 1-1.

Routledge >>>>> Smith or Guthrie.

Personally I probably would have left Barton on the right, started Ranger but I can see why ranger is benched due to his impressive performance as an impact sub/a kick up the arse about his attitude to training.

Basically it might not have been what I had done but it's not a bad selection.

Despite it being in the Championship, at the beginning of last season Coloccini and Saylor were starting to form a decent partnership together before injuries set in. Will be interesting to see how they cope. I do feel more at ease without Campbell in today- even though he did cope very well against Tevez at Eastlands.

* 25 Hart

* 04 Kompany

* 13 Kolarov

* 17 Boateng

* 19 Lescott

* 07 Milner

* 18 Barry

* 21 Silva

* 34 De Jong

* 42 Yaya Toure

* 32 Tevez

Substitutes