Newcastle 1 - 3 Man City - 26/12/2010 - Post-Match Reaction From Page 15

Andy

We always do lump it to Carroll when are not playing 2 wingers as we dont have the players to get down the line.

I also hate it when we are playing free kicks into the box from near the half way line  :thdn:

Routledge and Enrique easily our best players today

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Good to hear Routledge had a good game. He did well against Chelsea as well IMO, got to deserve a place in the side over the likes of Jonas now

I can't quite put my finger on why (or even point to a particular incident in this game that proves this correct) but for some reason I felt more nervous with Taylor/Colo than I did earlier in the season with Willicini. Okay it was their first game together this season but it just all felt a bit 'seat of your pants', nowhere near as composed as before.

because williamson's a better defender than taylor. of all the things to change, our previously settled, well performing CB pairing was a stupid change. if taylor's signing that new contract on the understanding that he's in the starting 11 pardew's an idiot, he's been out for months ffs what does he expect?

I can understand where he's coming from, but I'd say it's a bit twattish to say 200 long balls. Maybe it's just because I hate Mancini.

I agree. I mean, the chaps got a point, but his team hardly set the world alight with their brand of football do they?

Nothing to do with Pardew, but I can't help but hating Ashley everytime we lose because all I can think of is our best players just getting sick of it at some point and fucking off.

We have the potential to become a good team with some of the players we have and if only we didn't have a dickhead owner then maybe just maybe we could have gradually brought them along. He just doesn't get it does he.

Barton was on Five Live before the game today saying that with a couple of good additions we'd be a decent team capable of finishing in the top eight. He's not wrong IMO. Unfortunately I don't see the owner freeing up the necessary funds.

I agree but everything has turned awkward for no reason at all, with a sensible owner even supplying limited funds we'd have a decent squad with players with very good potential (Carroll,Tiote,Enrique). The players were extremely happy together and there would be no real pressure on the manager (Hughton) as we would have stayed up fairly comfortable.

Now, not only have we got rid of a manager who all the players liked, but more importantly Ashley who had started to look like he might have learnt his lesson has gone and for absolute definite shown us he's going to keep putting us in the shit no matter how well we do.

When I've seen Routledge, I've seen a player with pace who could be a solid PL player however I haven't seen it consistently from him in this league. He's worthy of a regular slot on the right wing to see how it goes.

re: Tiote, he seems to enjoy over-complicating things at times, e.g. endlessly turning, and while it may look great when it comes off, it's risky. I'm not surprised to see he's made 2 howlers (today and Blackburn, iirc).

When I've seen Routledge, I've seen a player with pace who could be a solid PL player however I haven't seen it consistently from him in this league. He's worthy of a regular slot on the right wing to see how it goes.

re: Tiote, he seems to enjoy over-complicating things at times, e.g. endlessly turning, and while it may look great when it comes off, it's risky. I'm not surprised to see he's made 2 howlers (today and Blackburn, iirc).

He's not though, as that's where Barton should be playing.

Pretty pitiful we all just accept getting shat on.

I heard it 3 times in level 7.

And he's still here. f*** me what do we have to do to get rid of him?

stop giving him your money

I don't, mate, and I won't be giving him a penny in the future.

Isn't there a stat saying Tiote has lost the ball less than any player outside the top 4?  The criticism he gets after losing the ball sometimes is mental.  It's impossible to calculate but I bet he's prevented many more goals. 

I'm not saying he can't be criticised but people seem to think its a massive flaw in his game.  I can't remember anyone saying that about Barton after Wigan.

It's a shame that bar Joey, Tiote doesn't have a good central midfielder to play alongside him. If he did, then he wouldn't have to do the work of two men. :thup:

I think Nolan in the centre works (with Barton on the right), even though I feel Routledge is a good player.

My complaint with Routledge's crossing today was that he was floating them in a bit too much.  Such crosses mostly favor the defender.  The fact that a few were in the right area is a vast improvement over Jonas on the other side.  However, they were still somewhat ineffective due to their predictability.  Back in the day, people used to bitch incessantly about Milner doing the same on those rare occasions he somehow kept the ball in play.  He almost could have been carded for delay of game with his lofted crosses.

Say people are getting on his back all you want, but it is a more than valid complaint.  Football, like anything else, can be broken down into probabilistic analysis.  The probability of anything coming from floated crosses in that area is somewhat low, as defenders have ample time to adjust.  Of course this is why assholes who whip in an accurate cross are worth their weight in gold.

That said, at least Routledge tries to do something with the ball other than run into dead ends. 

Krul's mistake, ugh.

Can't quite see how it was such a massive rick by Tiote (or Nolan) for the second though, could have gone anywhere that. Was just unfortunate, followed by a great ball in from Milner and super finish.

My opinion is that Pardew got his team set up wrong from the start:

Routledge did not have a good game BUT

-Barton is more effecteive playing on the right and at kleast gets decent crosses in

-Nolan is teargas in the hole, far better in midifeld

-Tiote partners better with Nolan than Barton

the team ends up lopsided with these changes, we are far better in a classic 442.

Easy to say with hindsight but he should have kept the original shape and changed only ranger for Shola and colo for sol.

Both taylor and colo were disgraceful for the first two goals, the third was a fluke, although he had too much time to do what he wanted (he is good tho'!)

Despite any complaints, I think Routledge indeed needs to be given more time.  I agree that he could become a decent player at this level.

Tiote sometimes is left with a third of the pitch to defend.  He's a fantastic talent, but he isn't 3 players.  An I honestly think having Captain Hindsight behind him today didn't do him any favors.   

Big change in style today, I thought. We played with a lot more pace than usual, and closed the opposition down further up the pitch rather than funnelling back behind the ball. It worked well for most of the game, and we were unlucky to lose. Still, against Liverpool, we were lucky to win. It was good to see us actually look like the home side.

Nolan had very little impact up front, whereas Ranger, despite his rawness, was far more of a harmful. That was one decision that didn't come off for Pardew. Ranger will surely start against Spurs.

I thought Carroll was superb today.

Despite any complaints, I think Routledge indeed needs to be given more time.  I agree that he could become a decent player at this level.

Tiote sometimes is left with a third of the pitch to defend.  He's a fantastic talent, but he isn't 3 players.  An I honestly think having Captain Hindsight behind him today didn't do him any favors.   

Oh, he's a good player and an absolute bargain, don't get me wrong. A bit more experience in this league and he could become a very good player.