Newcastle 1 - 3 Man City - 26/12/2010 - Post-Match Reaction From Page 15

Andy

We aren't a good enough side to give teams like City a 2 goal headstart and expect to get something out of the game. We made 2 mistakes and they scored each time. We got away with it last season but they rightfully punished us for being sloppy.

After that I think they (knowing they were playing again in 48 hours time) sat back safe in the knowledge that they'd already scored enough to win the game. 85 minutes of training ground football where they kept their shape, got men behind the ball and soaked it up whilst conserving energy for the upcoming games. We huffed and puffed and I can't fault our effort or commitment and enjoyed plenty of the ball but Hart barely had a shot to make tbh.  

Once we scored you could see City's attitude change as they were forced to come out and get a killer third goal. They pressed and the back 4 pushed 15 yards further up the park and clinched it.

Not sure what the game proved that we didn't already know - City are better than us, we make individual mistakes and some of our lot aren't quite good enough. Our season doesn't hinge on taking points from City and the like and it's not the end of the world but we need to beat the poor teams and continue picking up the odd win away too. Spurs will be tough and I'm not expecting anything there either. West Ham is huge now.   

:sadnod: The bit in bold is essentially why we lost.

Carroll had a free header straight after we conceded the second - can't help but wonder what could have been. Giving away two goals is certainly a mountain to climb, but I don't feel it was insurmountable by any means. Had enough of talking about it though! Onwards...

Quick desciption of Krul's error?

Weak as piss clearance. Pass, pass, goal (through his legs).

Dreadful goalkeeping.

Welcome back Stevie Harper.

Krul a fucking disgrace today. Tiote not too far behind AGAIN losing easy possession and cost us another goal.

Why the fuck wasn't this a 3-06 KO?

Every time I see Taylor play, it's suddenly like watching 4 individual defenders who have never met each other.  Tiote seemed to be out of synch with everybody else for much of the game.  Routledge's crosses were abysmally without any pace.  They would just float in in slow-motion.  Jonas will do something great, and then completely ruin it in the same breath.  And Barton has looked much better on the wing than he did in the middle.  And Jesus, Krul.  Wtf with that pass?

All that said,  our endeavor was fantastic.  Ranger added a bit of unpredictability, and had some fantastic knock downs.  He needs to play more.  Carroll is an absolute beast.  And we gave a good go to a team that has infinitely more individual talent.  Nothing to be ashamed about with this loss here, considering that we gifted them a 2 goal lead within five minutes.

Folk are just biased against Routledge now, like. It's pathetic.

How are they biased against him?

In my opinion, most players who posses the pace Routledge does have enough to cause problems at this level. However, the problem for me is Routledge either doesn't know how to use it at the top level, or there's some massive physiological problem, which makes him terrified of playing his natural game.

Just saw this, from Mancini:

Newcastle made it very difficult. They are a strong team and the atmosphere here is good. Also because they played maybe 200 long balls to Carroll.

He certainly has a point. The main tactic appeared to be lump it long to Carroll. We looked lost when that wasn't always an option.

Nothing to do with Pardew, but I can't help but hating Ashley everytime we lose because all I can think of is our best players just getting sick of it at some point and fucking off.

We have the potential to become a good team with some of the players we have and if only we didn't have a dickhead owner then maybe just maybe we could have gradually brought them along. He just doesn't get it does he.

How are they biased against him?

In my opinion, most players who posses the pace Routledge does have enough to cause problems at this level. However, the problem for me is Routledge either doesn't know how to use it at the top level, or there's some massive physiological problem, which makes him terrified of playing his natural game.

Routledge played well today.

Folk are just biased against Routledge now, like. It's pathetic.

Routledge was far better than Jonas today. And Routledge gets criticised for his crossing, but he had a few good'uns today. And it is not that he can't cross, because he can, and he can do it well.

Nothing to do with Pardew, but I can't help but hating Ashley everytime we lose because all I can think of is our best players just getting sick of it at some point and fucking off.

We have the potential to become a good team with some of the players we have and if only we didn't have a dickhead owner then maybe just maybe we could have gradually brought them along. He just doesn't get it does he.

Barton was on Five Live before the game today saying that with a couple of good additions we'd be a decent team capable of finishing in the top eight. He's not wrong IMO. Unfortunately I don't see the owner freeing up the necessary funds.