Forum Service Issues and Updates

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been problem-free the past few days too. In recent weeks I've found it's been conking out more generally - nothing long-term but it's been quite regularly not loading up when other sites have been fine, and resulting in me needing to refresh a minute later. Server stress?

Yeah it's the server again. The post count growing to 2.5 million taking it's toll, apparently.

Host's solution is to get us to upgrade to 4gb of RAM and pay another £12 per month for the pleasure.

Really it needs sorting once and for all, which it hopefully will be now SMF 2.0 (updated forum software) has just been released.

Aye, it's an option. We've done it before though, and it always seems a shame to me. I'm sure we've already lost a good two years (ish) worth of posts at least (can't remember when this place actually started).

Really we should be up around the 4 million mark or something. To put that into context RAWK (Liverpool) is at 8 million now (and I'm convinced that's the biggest English team-specific forum about - although I could be wrong).

Seems daft to keep knocking ourselves back in size when the solutions could be found in other ways.

If I might make a suggestion. I just sorted the football forum by number of replies, you could trim that section alone by about 15% if you deleted all posts over a year old that received 20 replies or less, (as an example.)

There's certainly some threads back there that have either next to no relevance now or even less interest in them.

I guess a similar bar could be set for all the forums thereby freeing up considerable space.

Yeah, we've done that before as well. Like I said though, it's a last resort really.

If we ever were to go down the advertising route or whatever, it looks better if we have as many posts as possible. As I said, we should already be on 4 million or so. I don't really want to cull more if we can avoid it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently noticed that when I click on aspects of the forum it comes up with a server error sort of issue - I'll copy and paste it next time it comes up. What are you going to do about it, Dave/Dave's Mrs?

EDIT: This appears;

An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry, because of high stress on the server, this feature is currently unavailable

EDIT: This does too;

Temporarily Unavailable

Due to high stress on the server the forum is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Can't seem to change my avatar at the moment via the upload from computer options.

Cntrl and F5 should update it mate.

Rookie mistake!  :doh: Cheers.  :thup:

Good luck in getting a response from these ignorant *people.

*by people I could potentially mean a far more offensive word (in a jokey manner) but due to having one life left I cannot use this term in case one takes offense to it.